Chapter 16

edits

omg sorry i totally forgot to post last night ;~; here is chapter 16! and thanks for all the comments so far, i've had fun reading em c:

--------

 

 
 
It felt like she was seeing everything from outside her body.
 
Tiffany was sitting on a comfortable couch that was angled to face their host, Kim Sejun, with Taeyeon sitting between the two of them. It felt almost like a real living room, complete with a coffee table and tasteful indoor plants — but Tiffany couldn’t stop glancing at the huge cameras mounted on tripods and aimed directly at them. It was weird. On one hand, she was listening as Taeyeon and Sejun carried on a conversation; on the other, she was watching the producers and cameramen as they silently stared back at her.
 
She floated a little for a while, but was abruptly brought back to reality when Sejun suddenly said, “Tiffany, we haven’t heard a lot from you today. How are you feeling?"
 
“Um,” she floundered for a moment before deciding to be very honest. “It’s all a bit overwhelming."
 
He nodded sympathetically. “I can only imagine. Have you met any of Taeyeon’s fans yet?"
 
“Oh, yes. We saw them outside.” Tiffany glanced over as Taeyeon turned to smile at her. “They were really energetic."
 
“She actually froze like a deer in the headlights,” said Taeyeon. “I thought we would have to carry her into the building."
 
“I did not."
 
“Yes, you did."
 
Tiffany took a breath to answer, when Kim Sejun chuckled. “Maybe we can ask the fans later to see which one of you two is telling the truth."
 
“It’s definitely me,” said Taeyeon, winking at the cameras. 
 
Taeyeon seemed so comfortable and at home on the set, even with everyone staring at her. The way she spoke and moved and always instinctively faced the camera — Tiffany finally began to realize how this really was Taeyeon’s day job. When Taeyeon raised her eyebrows at Tiffany slightly, Tiffany shook her head and tried her best to smile at Sejun.
 
“So, Taeyeon, Tiffany. I’m pretty sure that the entire country has read the official statement released by Taeyeon’s company now.  But I think we’re all really dying to ask the same question: what’s the real story? Where are the rest of the details?"
 
“Well,” said Taeyeon, smiling at Tiffany, “we met a while ago at her office.”
 
Tiffany heaved a relief sigh internally, glad that they had settled on a story that was very close to the truth. It was true that she didn’t like lying but most of all she was happy to be free of memorizing a complex storyline.
 
“Tiffany, you work for a magazine, right?"
 
“Yes. We were doing a feature on Taeyeon for this month’s issue."
 
“And I happen to have a copy right here.” Sejun held it up, showing the cover before flipping to the main spread. “Wow, it looks great!"
 
Taeyeon leaned over to see. “I’ve actually never seen the real thing."
 
“Here you go, then.” He handed it over to Taeyeon. “So, what is your part in the production process, Tiffany?"
 
“Well, for this specific project, I picked the pictures that the photographers gave us from the shoot and put together the layout of the spread itself."
 
“So all the pictures we see went through your hands?"
 
Tiffany nodded slightly, hoping she wasn’t too pink. “Yes, you could say that."
 
“A joint project between the two of you, then! How romantic!” He gestured at the magazine, which Taeyeon held in her hands as she posed like a model. “This will be released on Monday, so remember to get your hands on one to witness their partnership!"
 
He took the magazine back from Taeyeon.
 
“Now, back to the topic on hand. We know where you two met now. But how did it happen? What were your first impressions of each other? Maybe Taeyeon, you could go first?"
 
“When I first saw Tiffany,” said Taeyeon, looking first at the camera, then back at Sejun, “her eyes were closed."
 
Tiffany blinked. That wasn’t exactly part of the plan. She glanced curiously at Taeyeon, but the singer was still talking.
 
“I was at their office for a planning meeting.” Untrue, because Taeyeon had been banned from going to the first meeting by Minjoo. “I walked past a desk on the way to the meeting room and saw her leaning back in her chair, like this,” she demonstrated, slumping against the couch with her eye closed.
 
Sejun grinned at Tiffany. “Taking a little break?"
 
“I later found out that she wasn’t feeling well that day and was resting her eyes for a bit."
 
“Ah, and you walked past right at that moment."
 
“That’s right. I walked past and happened to see this woman in her chair, looking like she was going to faint. And somehow — this is not something I’d usually do — but somehow, I felt like I should help her. There was a kind of, hmm. It felt like it was right."
 
“Fate?"
 
“Maybe,” said Taeyeon. “So I went around the partition and tapped her on the shoulder."
 
“Wow! And what was your reaction, Tiffany?"
 
Tiffany blinked. “Oh! Uh, I opened my eyes and saw someone’s face really close to my own. Because I had a headache that day, it took me a while to recognize the face."
 
“You didn’t realize it was Kim Taeyeon?"
 
“I’m not very good at keeping up with the times,” said Tiffany, glaring at Taeyeon when she started to giggle. “I had only really seen her on ads a couple of times and it didn’t click immediately.”
 
“Oh? You weren’t a fan?"
 
“Her co-worker told me she called me Kim Something for a whole week before the project started."
 
“Taeyeon!” 
 
“Did you really, Tiffany?” Sejun looked like he was about to burst out laughing. 
 
“Yes,” said Tiffany reluctantly. “Even my mom is more culturally savvy than I am."
 
“I see! So what happened after you realized that it was Kim Taeyeon tapping you on the shoulder? Did you scream?"
 
“Well…” 
 
“She fainted,” said Taeyeon, a triumphant grin on her face.
 
“What?!"
 
“She fainted."
 
Tiffany hid her face in her hands. This was not how the story was meant to go; she didn’t want all this embarrassing stuff leaked out onto national television. But it was too late.
 
“Did you really, Tiffany?"
 
“Yes,” said Tiffany, smiling weakly. “That was the last straw for my poor, dizzy head."
 
“You fainted! That certainly is exciting. Do you remember what your first thought was when you saw Taeyeon?"
 
Tiffany swallowed nervously as she suddenly became acutely aware of all the eyes on her. “Um, yes,” she said slowly. Beside her, Taeyeon shifted slightly. “I, uh…I thought, wow, she was a lot hotter in person than in pictures.” 
 
Sejun clapped his hands and laughed. “And she is, ladies and gentlemen. This is the absolute truth. Kim Taeyeon is stunning in pictures, but in real person she’s a goddess. Wouldn’t you agree, Tiffany?"
 
“For sure,” she said. Then, out of nowhere, she found a surge of confidence. “But in person she’s a lot more embarrassing."
 
“Oh? And how so?"
 
“I’m not embarra—”
 
Ignoring Taeyeon, Tiffany said, “When she drove me to the hospital af— I mean, a few weeks after we first met, she insisted on driving me home. But it took her ten minutes to figure out how to turn the windshield wipers off…after she accidentally turned them on."
 
“What! Taeyeon, what car do you drive? Isn’t it usually on the signaling lever?"
 
“I was flustered,” said Taeyeon, giving Tiffany a flat look, “and I forgot everything."
 
“That’s so sweet! Looks like you two got very nervous around each other at first. How are things now?"
 
“We’re still getting to know each other, but I think it’s a lot better now. Tiffany’s definitely not as nervous.” Taeyeon grinned, eyes darting down to Tiffany’s nose. 
 
“That’s good to hear.” Sejun looked at the producer and nodded. “Actually, why don’t we have you two say a few words to each other. Is there something you want to say but haven’t gotten the chance to?"
 
Tiffany in a breath. Was she supposed to have something prepared?
 
“Wow, this is sudden,” said Taeyeon with a laugh. “What are you doing to us, Sejun?"
 
“Just giving you two a chance to express yourselves. I’ll let Tiffany think about it - Taeyeon, you go first."
 
“Again?!"
 
“You know I love to pick on you, Taeyeon."
 
Taeyeon shook her head fondly. “Every single time. Alright, I’ll go first."
 
Tiffany watched as Taeyeon’s fingers tapped nervously on her knee. It was reassuring to see that Taeyeon, too, was caught off guard. 
 
“Um,” said Taeyeon. Her hand moved slowly up to her neck; without a thought, Tiffany grabbed it to stop her from tugging at the collar. Taeyeon blinked, but smiled and didn’t let go of Tiffany’s hand when Tiffany tried to pull away. “Thanks,” said Taeyeon. 
 
Tiffany waited, hoping desperately that Taeyeon wouldn’t feel how sweaty her palms were. 
 
“We haven’t known each other for a very long time.” Taeyeon’s gaze was steady. “And I know everything happened really fast. But regardless of what’s happening now, or what will happen in the future, I’m grateful that you took this step. I’m grateful to be given this chance to get to know you. I can’t promise you everything a normal person can, but I promise that I will always give you my best, every step of the way."
 
The room was entirely silent, waiting on Tiffany’s response. Part of her was screaming in terror because holy what was she supposed to say after that? But the other part of her saw the sincerity in Taeyeon’s eyes and nodded.
 
“I’m not sure why or how we came to be where we are now,” Tiffany said slowly. “Like you said, everything happened really, really fast. I’m almost tempted to just watch and see where the pieces fall. But if it’s okay with you, I want to take a chance and pick how to put all the pieces together. I can only hope that my best is enough for you, for a long while yet."
 
There was a long pause. Then, Sejun cleared his throat. "And I now pronounce you—”
 
“Oppa!" 
 
“You guys took that really seriously,” he said, looking at them both with a smile. “It was just meant to be a casual thing, not some marriage-vow level dialogue."
 
“Well, you sprung that on us!"
 
Sejun crossed his arms, laughing. “I’m happy for the two of you. I’m sure all our viewers are very touched, too, by those heartfelt words."
 
With a jolt, Tiffany remembered that they were filming for TV. She felt a gentle squeeze on her hand, as if Taeyeon knew what she was thinking, and tried to breathe normally.
 
“And on that note, we’ve now come to the end of our program. On behalf of all of South Korea,” said Sejun, sitting up, “I’d like to wish you two the best. Congratulations, and thank you, Kim Taeyeon and Tiffany Hwang!"
 
--
 
It didn’t actually end there, to Tiffany’s surprise. There were quick discussions between the host and the producer, followed by make-up retouches by a grinning Minjoo, and then all the cameras were back in action. Under the guidance of the producer, they re-filmed parts where someone’s words were unclear or when the angles didn’t fit as well as they could’ve. Thankfully, they didn’t make Tiffany and Taeyeon repeat their little speeches, though they did have to repeat the ending dialogue several more times.
 
Finally, after what felt like forever, the producer gave them a thumbs up. “That’s a wrap, everyone! Thank you for your work today."
 
“Come on, let’s go,” Taeyeon whispered, pulling Tiffany up with her. Tiffany then tagged along awkwardly behind Taeyeon as the singer went around the room thanking every staff member individually; whenever Taeyeon bowed, she bowed too, even if she wasn’t too sure who the person was. 
 
By the time they finally filed into the dressing room, Tiffany was exhausted. She tried to hide her yawn, but Taeyeon caught it and grinned. 
 
“Tired?"
 
“Very,” said Tiffany, slumping down in a chair. “Do you do this every day?"
 
“Basically, yeah. Are you hungry?"
 
“Yes!"
 
Taeyeon laughed and turned to Minjoo. “I don’t have anything after this, right?"
 
“Nope, you’re free to go."
 
“It’s a dinner date, then. Our second date."
 
“I’m beginning to sense a pattern,” said Tiffany. “They’re all kind of impromptu, aren’t they?"
 
“Sorry.” Taeyeon winced.
 
“I’m kidding, Taeyeon."
 
“I know. But I also meant what I said earlier. On the show."
 
Tiffany smiled into Taeyeon’s eyes. “I did, too."
 
“It was very touching,” said Minjoo casually, fixing Taeyeon’s collar again. “I liked it."
 
“I nearly laughed when I heard your puzzle analogy, to be honest. If there weren’t a thousand cameras on us at the time…"
 
“I was being serious,” said Tiffany, looking at the floor.
 
“As was I."
 
Minjoo rolled her eyes. “You guys just literally said that not even five seconds ago. Come on, the car’s waiting.” She slung her bag over her shoulder and walked out of the room.
 
The two of them stood awkwardly in front of each other for a while until Taeyeon cleared . “So,” she said, casually, looking at her shoes, “you thought I was a lot hotter in person?"
 
“No,” said Tiffany.
 
“What? But you sai—”
 
“How was my acting, Miss Singer-Actress?"
 
Taeyeon crossed her arms. “It sounded very real,” she said suspiciously.
 
“I’m a natural."
 
“No one’s that natural. You were telling the truth."
 
“Believe whatever you want,” said Tiffany, shrugging.
 
“I’ll believe that you really were blown away by my amazing good looks, then."
 
Tiffany rolled her eyes and turned away, hoping the warmth in her cheeks didn’t turn out too obvious. “Last one to the car pays for dinner."