Chapter 19

edits

 
 
Tiffany propped the envelope against her monitor before reaching under her desk to turn the computer on.
 
“Morning,” said Yoona as she walked past to get to her own table. 
 
Tiffany stretched, yawning. “Good morning."
 
“I have so many questions to ask you right now, but what’s that envelope for?"
 
“My mom. Again. I’m trying to remind myself to mail it out at lunch."
 
Yoona made a sympathetic sound from behind the partition before her head popped back up. “What is it this time? Free samples from Innisfree again?"
 
“No, no more liquids this time.” Tiffany shuddered at the memory of her mom’s last demand. “Just a post-it."
 
“Just a post-it? Why are you mailing your mom a post-it?"
 
“She called last night and asked for Taeyeon’s autograph for her zumba instructor. Don’t ask, I don’t get it either."
 
“And you actually got it?” Yoona rested her elbows on the partition. “Wow, dating a celebrity sure has its perks."
 
“I didn’t want to. I thought it was unfair, like I was taking advantage of Taeyeon, but she said she didn’t mind and signed on a post-it. So I’m mailing it to my mom."
 
Yoona’s eyes widened. “Wait a second. So…Taeyeon’s autograph is inside that envelope right now?"
 
“Yeah."
 
“Oh my god.” Tiffany jumped as Yoona suddenly leaned over the partition. “Can I please touch it? Please? Just for one moment?"
 
Tiffany handed the envelope over, giving Yoona a weird look as her friend held it reverently. “You saw her up close just last night. Plus, she came by the office at least three times. Why is this any different?"
 
“It just is,” breathed Yoona. She gave the envelope back to Tiffany reluctantly. “Damn. I’m jealous."
 
Tiffany shook her head, typing out her password to log in.
 
“I have another question. But before the question, here’s the address of that puzzle shop."
 
“Oh!” Tiffany took the little slip of paper. “Thank you so much! I’ll probably go check it out this weekend or something."
 
“Heejin says it’s kind of hard to find. It’s apparently upstairs in an old building or something."
 
“I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks again!” She got a bit of tape and stuck the paper onto the corner of her monitor. 
 
Yoona rolled her chair around the partition and sat down next to Tiffany. “Question time!"
 
“Am I allowed to object?"
 
“Nope! What was it like? Filming for Life’s Good?"
 
“Uh…just talking, mostly.” Tiffany spun around to face Yoona. “Kim Sejun — do you know him?"
 
“Of course! He’s probably the most popular host in the country right now."
 
“Oh. I didn’t know that."
 
“I kind of expected that,” said Yoona with a grin. “But okay? What did he do?"
 
“He just asked some questions and we answered. And then we had to re-film some parts that weren’t good enough."
 
“Was it fun? Scary?"
 
Tiffany thought about it. “Not really,” she said finally. “Just weird. It’s really hard to talk naturally in front of so many people and cameras."
 
“Wow,” said Yoona, nodding. “I’m still mindblown that you went on TV with Kim Taeyeon and Kim Sejun."
 
“Crazy, right?"
 
“Right! It’s so crazy. Yesterday night was surreal."
 
Tiffany snapped her fingers. “Oh yeah! Why were you there last night?"
 
“I wanted to surprise you, but I didn’t expect there to be so many people.” Yoona waved her arms around. “I arrived around half an hour before you came out and there was already a huge crowd. And so many cameras!"
 
“I know, right?!"
 
Yoona nodded fervently. “I was just standing there when I overheard these two girls discussing how to get your attention. At first I thought they were talking about Kim Taeyeon, but then one of them — I think it was Jinhee — started to practice saying your name, over and over."
 
“Tif-fan-ee,” said Tiffany, sounding it out slowly.
 
“Yeah, like that. So I walked up and asked them why there were so many people. And they said they were there for TaeNy."
 
“Huh?"
 
“TaeNy. Taeyeon, Tiffany. It’s called a ship.” Yoona crossed her arms loftily. “Bet you didn’t know that. Anyway, I told them I was there to find you and their faces lit up, like, actually lit up. They were so excited. They showed me the puzzle and asked if I wanted to join the fan club to be part of the gift-giving."
 
“So you gave them money?"
 
“Oh, no. They showed me this entire website with actual quality and there was a log-in and stuff, and I paid there.” Yoona waggled her eyebrows. “Very legit. Here, let me show you."
 
Tiffany scooted over to let Yoona use her computer. She watched as Yoona pulled up the browser and typed a few words in. 
 
“Here it is,” said Yoona, rolling her chair back. “You actually have a fan page."
 
And there it was, in impressively high quality. Tiffany clicked around the page, seeing discussions and announcements and pictures. Of herself. Not of Taeyeon, but of her. “What the…"
 
“Isn’t it great? They even make updates whenever you post on Instagram. See?"
 
Tiffany stared at her own picture of the Totoro puzzle. “S-Since when has this been a thing?"
 
“Heejin said they started it when the news first came out about you and Kim Taeyeon,” said Yoona. “So maybe…two weeks ago? Three weeks?"
 
“And it’s this big?!"
 
Yoona spread her hands. “Exactly. We pay for the magazine website and it’s not even close to being this nice. You see what I mean about your fans being really legit?"
 
“How are they doing this?!” Tiffany scrolled through the page. “Wait, this isn’t my picture."
 
“That’s Taeyeon’s. You didn’t see it? She tagged you."
 
“No,” said Tiffany, looking at a picture of herself kneeling over her coffee table, the puzzle pieces laid out in front of her. Under the picture, the caption read: “Someone’s really enjoying the puzzle #shehasntlookeduponce #puzzleislife #shesgonnastayupforthis”.
 
“The website updates if Taeyeon tags you, as well. Cool, right?"
 
“And this? Oops!” Tiffany blinked as the link she clicked pulled up a new tab. “Whoa. More pictures?"
 
“I think that’s your fansite."
 
“And this is different from the other website?"
 
Yoona pointed at the logo at the top of the page. “Heejin said this is a photographer who’s dedicated to taking pictures of you."
 
“Piece By Piece?"
 
“That’s their name, I guess. Probably because of your puzzle thing."
 
Tiffany sat back in her chair. “This is crazy,” she said. “Crazy."
 
“I agree. After you left, I swear, every single fan in the area tried to ask me how I knew you. I had to smile for so many cameras just because I sit next to you at work!” 
 
“Was that scary?"
 
“Dude, so scary.” Yoona fanned herself. “In the middle of the crowd, with everyone trying to get closer — that was really scary. The celebrity life isn’t for me. Just ten minutes and I really had enough."
 
Tiffany winced. “Sorry about that,” she said.
 
“Nah, nothing to be sorry about. But!"
 
“But...?"
 
Yoona shook her head reassuringly. “No more surprises, don’t worry. I just wanted to ask: how is it? How’s dating Kim Taeyeon?"
 
“Oh,” said Tiffany. “Um, it’s nice?"
 
“…That’s it? You’re dating the country’s most famous singer and it’s just ‘nice’?"
 
“I don’t really know her like that,” said Tiffany, frowning. “I really only know her as Taeyeon, who’s really kind and funny. I’m only beginning to realize just how popular she is."
 
“Did you finally listen to all her songs?"
 
Tiffany groaned. “I am three albums away from being done."
 
“Hang in there.” Yoona paused. “But…how is it between you two? Like, I know you’re not just fake dating, right? You’re also really dating?"
 
“Mhmm."
 
“So? How is that? How’s it going?"
 
Tiffany glanced at her hands before shrugging. “Good, I think? It’s definitely weird because we’re almost forced to be together. Like, we haven’t even gotten to the third date but we’re already having to act like we’re super close and intimate."
 
“Is that bad?"
 
“Kind of? Maybe? Or maybe not,” said Tiffany. “I don’t mind it. It’s just really fast. I’m still really just getting to know her, to be honest."
 
Yoona nodded. “Do you…do you like her? Like, if it wasn’t like this, would you still date her?"
 
“I think so. Yeah, I think so. So far."
 
“And you think she might feel the same way?"
 
“I think we’re both kind of feeling our way through this. I’m relieved that she’s really taking it slow. We’re becoming friends, right now, and that’s working out so far."
 
“Friends? Isn’t that not the direction you want to go?"
 
Tiffany smiled. “I actually like it like this. Friends first, whatever else second. The main thing is that we can’t not be friends. If this dating thing doesn’t work out, we can’t just walk away and announce that it’s all been a lie. We’re going to have to be friends so that it sticks. You know what I mean?"
 
“I think so,” said Yoona slowly. “Setting a good foundation first."
 
“Yeah."
 
“I guess there’s a lot more at stake here than just liking each other, huh?"
 
Tiffany let out a breath. “That’s right."
 
“But you think you could date her? Like, for a long time?"
 
“I do."
 
“What’s she like, actually? Behind the scenes. What’s Taeyeon like when she’s with you?"
 
“Hmm. She’s kind of…quiet, to be honest. Funny. Weird. She’s really cute with her stylist and they argue all the time."
 
“About what?"
 
“About Taeyeon’s style, or lack of style,” said Tiffany, grinning widely. “Minjoo — that’s her stylist — keeps telling Taeyeon that she dresses weird."
 
“Is she nice?"
 
“Who? Minjoo?"
 
Yoona shook her head. “No, Taeyeon. Is she nice? Or is she like…cocky?"
 
“She’s really nice. Not cocky at all, thank goodness. Thoughtful. Confident, though. She might be quiet and a little shy, but she’s confident."
 
“And you like it?"
 
Tiffany slapped Yoona’s arm when her friend winked sleazily. “Stop it!"
 
“But you do!"
 
“I do,” said Tiffany, feeling her face heat up. “She’s cute."
 
“No regrets about being lumped together with the national star by accident?"
 
Tiffany looked at the envelope on her desk. “None,” she said with a faint smile.