Chapter 15

edits

 

 

Tiffany stared out the tinted windows as the car rolled to a stop outside the broadcast station. “There are a lot of people outside,” she said nervously.
 
“Just walk down the middle of the path and stick with us,” said Taeyeon from beside her, “and wave if you want."
 
“Do I have to wave?"
 
“It would be nice if you could, but if you’re worried, we can just walk really fast."
 
Tiffany turned to Taeyeon. “Will your fans be angry if we walk very fast?"
 
“No, they’ll understand. But they’ll probably be a little disappointed, since this is our first official appearance together."
 
“Right,” said Tiffany slowly, feeling the blood drain away from her face. At least that meant no nosebleeds, she thought wryly.
 
“Ready?” Mr. Jang turned around from the driver’s seat to smile reassuringly at Tiffany. “It’ll be okay. Just stay close."
 
Tiffany was not prepared for the sudden cheering as they got out of the car. It was a little disorienting at first because she had gotten out on one side, and Taeyeon on the other, but to her immense relief, Taeyeon quickly appeared next to her and took her elbow firmly as they began to walk towards the entrance.
 
“Taeyeon! Taeyeon unnie!"
“Good luck with your recording!
“Tiffany unnie, you’re really pretty!"
 
Tiffany glanced up in shock, almost tripping over her own shoes. She couldn’t find the fan who had shouted her name, but as she looked around, the fans began to wave at her. “Tiffany unnie! Tiffany unnie!"
 
“You can wave,” whispered Taeyeon.
 
Hesitantly, Tiffany lifted her hand and awkwardly waved at the crowd. There was an almost immediate reaction and the noise level doubled. “Tiffany unnie! You’re really pretty!"
 
Tiffany ducked her head in embarrassment.
 
“Tiffany unnie! Did you like the name Kim Joowon?"
 
“I swear—”
 
Taeyeon threw back her head and laughed, eliciting more cheers from the fans. “Keep walking,” she said in a low voice while flashing a smile at the gigantic camera lenses. “They’re just kidding."
 
“Tiffany unnie! Taeyeon unnie! Please look over here for a couple shot!"
 
To Tiffany’s surprise, Taeyeon tugged on her arm to turn them both around to face the small girl behind the camera. There were screams, this time, and Tiffany remembered to smile just as the flash went off. Even above all the fans’ voices, she could still hear camera shutters going at a thousand clicks a second.
 
“Thank you for supporting us today,” said Taeyeon, pitching her voice above the noise from the crowd. “We’ll do our best!"
 
The last of the cheers faded behind them as Mr. Jang and Taeyeon ushered her through the doors. As Mr. Jang walked up to the reception desk, Taeyeon patted Tiffany’s back gently. “You alright?"
 
“That was a lot of people,” said Tiffany, blinking. 
 
“Yeah. I was a little surprised at how many showed up."
 
“Like, a lot of people."
 
“Yep."
 
“A lot. Of people."
 
Taeyeon laughed and pulled Tiffany into a hug. “There, there,” she said softly. “I’m sorry to be saying this so much, but you’ll get better at it over time."
 
“Alright, I’ve signed you guys in. Let’s go to the dressing room,” said Mr. Jang, coming up from behind Tiffany.
 
Taeyeon pulled back and looked into Tiffany’s eyes. “You okay?"
 
“I think so."
 
“I’ll be with you. Don’t worry, okay?"
 
Tiffany nodded.
 
“Let’s go, then."
 
--
 
Tiffany watched carefully as Taeyeon’s stylist smoothed down Taeyeon’s shirt one last time. “Don’t touch the collar,” she said, glaring at Taeyeon. “I know you think you’re adjusting it, but your style—”
 
“, yeah, I know.” Taeyeon grinned and held up both her hands. “I won’t touch it, promise."
 
Tiffany got to her feet as the stylist turned to her. “No need to be so stiff, Tiffany,” said the woman with a smile. “Can I call you Tiffany?"
 
“Y-yes, of course."
 
“You can call me Minjoo.” She stepped back and looked Tiffany up and down critically. “You picked this out yourself?"
 
“Yes,” said Tiffany. She swallowed. “Is it okay?"
 
“Oh, yeah. It looks great."
 
There was an offended gasp. “What! She passes, just like that?"
 
Minjoo looked at Taeyeon sternly. “That’s because Tiffany actually understands the concept of wearing clothes properly, Taeyeon. I honestly am not that strict a judge on clothes. It’s just that your style is really…lacking."
 
“I’m so offended."
 
“Okay, see if I care,” said Minjoo easily. She smiled at Tiffany and looked calculatingly at her face. “Do you have any lipstick with you, Tiffany?"
 
“Yes, here."
 
Minjoo took the tube and gently applied it onto Tiffany’s lips. She nodded in approval and capped the lipstick, returning it to Tiffany. “There we go. A little more eye-catching, don’t you think, Taeyeon?"
 
“My opinion means nothing, remember?"
 
“Given that you’re about to go on the show with Tiffany as her girlfriend, I rather think it does."
 
Tiffany hoped that the pink in her face was not as evident as it was on Taeyeon’s face. “It brings out your features more,” said Taeyeon awkwardly. “I-I, it’s, uh…it’s nice."
 
“I think Oppa wants to go over a few things with you,” said Minjoo smoothly. “Go."
 
Taeyeon looked at Tiffany questioningly and got to her feet when Tiffany nodded. The two watched as Taeyeon hurried away, her hand moving towards her collar.
 
“Ah,” said Minjoo.
 
Almost as if she had heard, Taeyeon looked down at her hand and stuck it into her pocket before disappearing around the corner. Minjoo laughed quietly and turned to Tiffany. 
 
“She’s cute, isn’t she?"
 
Tiffany gulped and nodded wordlessly.
 
“I wasn’t just saying it to tease Taeyeon,” said Minjoo as she began to tidy up the clips and pins she had brought. “You seem to know your way around clothes. Is fashion an interest of yours?"
 
“N-not really. I just edit a lot of pictures for different models and picked up on how clothes fall on a body, I guess."
 
Minjoo nodded thoughtfully. “You have an eye for color, too. Is that why you’re into puzzles?"
 
“I beg your pardon?"
 
“I lent Taeyeon my Wikipedia account."
 
“Oh.” Tiffany winced. “That’s…that’s probably why I like puzzles, yes."
 
“I’m not going to interrogate you or give you any advice,” said Minjoo without looking up from her bag, “and I know that if I say Taeyeon’s been a lot happier these two weeks, I’ll give you a lot of pressure."
 
“Uh…"
 
“I kinda just said it, didn’t I?” 
 
Tiffany smiled weakly as Minjoo patted her on the shoulder.
 
“Forget I said that."
 
“Okay,” said Tiffany.
 
“Is she too small for you?"
 
“Huh?"
 
“Too short,” said Minjoo, gesturing with her hands. “Is she too short?"
 
Tiffany blinked. “No?"
 
“Okay. Well, if it ever becomes a problem, let me know. I’ll give her some insoles and maybe a few pairs of heels."
 
“Um, you don’t have to do that."
 
“I’m glad you two are trying things out. I think that’s a smart choice for both of you.” Minjoo zipped up the last pouch and looked straight at Tiffany. “I don’t know you very well, but I’ve been with Taeyeon for a decade."
 
Tiffany tried not to back away. “Okay,” she croaked.
 
“I…forgot what I was going to say."
 
“E-excuse me?"
 
Minjoo shrugged. “I was probably going to give you the usual ‘be careful, don’t break her heart, she’s like a little sister to me’ spiel, I think. But that’s nonsense. Take a chance, Tiffany. She’s weird, and short, but I still stick with her for a reason."
 
Tiffany nodded uncertainly.
 
“Take a chance, okay? Don’t let all that,” Minjoo pointed vaguely at the doors, “scare you. She’s human. Kick her in the fork if she annoys you."
 
“Um—”
 
“Look what happened! I said I wasn’t going to give you advice and what did I just do?"
 
“G-give me advice?"
 
“Take a chance, Tiffany.”
 
“Okay…?” 
 
Minjoo grinned and moved a strand of hair out of Tiffany’s face. “You’re on in 10. Taeyeon’s waiting. Ready to go?"
 
“I think so?"
 
Tiffany caught the question in Minjoo’s eyes. She straightened up and took a deep breath.
 
“I’m ready."