Chapter 12

edits

 

 
 
Tiffany bent down to turn on her computer. As she straightened up, she felt two hands landing heavily on her shoulders. “Good morning, Sunny,” she said with a sigh.
 
“How’s my godchild today, Tiffany?"
 
“Shut up."
 
“Well, at least you’re not getting nosebleeds anymore."
 
Tiffany shrugged. “Doctor said exposure therapy would help."
 
“Exposur—” 
 
“Not that kind of exposure,” said Tiffany, giving Yoona a look over the cubicle partition. “Exposure like seeing her a lot, not seeing her like…like whatever you were thinking."
 
“So you’ve been seeing her a lot? Is it true, then? You guys are dating?"
 
Sunny laughed. “You fell for it, Im Yoona? Can you even imagine Kim Taeyeon dating this?” She patted TIffany’s shoulders again.
 
“That’s why I’m confused! I saw the official statement, like,” Yoona took out her phone and read, “As it has been reported, Kim Taeyeon and Tiffany Hwang are dating. While the rumor about Tiffany being pregnant is untrue, it is true that they met recently and began to develop feelings for each other. Please cheer them on!"
 
“It’s all publicity,” said Sunny smugly. “I was there when this happened."
 
“What?"
 
“Let’s just say I helped a lot with the decision making."
 
Yoona leaned over the partition. “So it’s all fake?"
 
“Of course,” said Sunny. “Right, Tiffany?"
 
Tiffany silently opened up the file she had been working on.
 
“Right, Tiffany? Tiffany?"
 
“Unnie?"
 
Sunny’s grip on her shoulder tightened, her fingers beginning to dig painfully into Tiffany’s skin. “Tiffany Hwang, what are you doing?"
 
Just then, their team leader walked up. Sunny immediately released Tiffany and Yoona disappeared behind the partition. Massaging her shoulders, Tiffany looked up when he said, “Tiffany, there’s a call for you on line 2."
 
“Oh. Thank you.” 
 
“When you’re done, come to my office."
 
“Yes, sir.” She pressed the button and put the phone to her ear. “Hello, this is Tiffany Hwang."
 
“Hello, Tiffany? This is Manager Jang."
 
“Oh! Good morning."
 
“Good morning, Tiffany. Did you encounter any reporters today?"
 
“No, I left through the back exit of my building."
 
“Well done. It seems like we didn’t make a mistake in going through with this."
 
“Haha,” said Tiffany weakly.
 
“We have another plan. The company has booked the two of you for this week’s ‘Life’s Good’."
 
“…What’s that?"
 
“You’ve never seen it?"
 
“No."
 
“Oh.” He sounded taken aback. “Okay, well, it’s a talk show. Airs every Saturday night at 8."
 
“And you want us to appear on it?"
 
“That’s right. This time, we’ve fully briefed the staff on the show and they know exactly what to do. All you need to do is show up and talk a little."
 
“Saturday at 8?"
 
“Well, that’s when it airs. The recording will take place on Wednesday at 2pm."
 
“But that’s during my work hours."
 
“We’ve already spoken to your supervisor. He has approved it."
 
Tiffany raised her eyebrows. “I see,” she said slowly.
 
“And another thing — ah, Taeyeon would like to speak to you.” The line rustled, then Taeyeon’s voice came out of the phone. “Hello?"
 
“Hey,” said Tiffany, looking away from Yoona, who had popped back up over the partition. “What’s up?"
 
“Are you free for lunch today?"
 
“Huh? Today?"
 
“Yeah. Wanna go out for lunch with me?"
 
“My lunch hour starts at 1. Does that work for you?"
 
“I’ll wait for you in the lobby."
 
“In the lobby? Are you sure?"
 
There was a snort. “I won’t put my jacket over my head, if that’s what you’re saying."
 
“Are you always like this?"
 
“Like what? Witty and lovable? Yes."
 
Tiffany rolled her eyes and pushed Sunny’s face away. “What did Mr. Jang want to say to me?"
 
“Oh, he was just going to ask you about lunch."
 
“He’s coming too?"
 
“No, it’s just going to be us. But the company wanted us to go out for publicity, so…"
 
“Oh,” said Tiffany.
 
“That’s why I asked to talk to you. So I’m the one asking, not my company. I’m asking because I want to go out for lunch with you, Tiffany. Not because my company thinks it’ll sell papers."
 
“I see."
 
“This is how it’s going to be, unfortunately. My company and everyone else in the country will always be watching."
 
Tiffany swallowed. “I see,” she said again.
 
“Sorry. This really for you, doesn’t it?"
 
“That depends on what you do."
 
“In that case,” said Taeyeon, “I’m buying you lunch. Don’t be late."
 
“Are you going to wear a helmet?"
 
“No!"
 
After she hung up, Tiffany smiled innocently at her two friends. “Oh, hello. Didn’t see you two there."
 
“Was that Kim Taeyeon?” Yoona grabbed Tiffany’s arm. “Were you talking to her?"
 
“Maybe?"
 
“I’m so jealous. Last time when she came I didn’t even get to talk to her because you guys left so fast."
 
Tiffany was about to answer when she felt a sudden malevolent presence at her back. She turned slowly to see Sunny beaming widely at her. “S-Sunny?"
 
“What happened after you left last night, hmm?"
 
“N-nothing…"
 
“How did nothing escalate into a lunch date, hmm?"
 
“Um…"
 
“You’re actually dating now, aren’t you?"
 
Tiffany glanced away quickly.
 
“You are.” Sunny nodded, that terrifying smile still on her face. “And when were you going to tell us?"
 
--
 
“Hello, Ti—” The team manager stared. “Are you alright? Did you run into reporters again?"
 
Tiffany sighed, fixing her hair and straightening her rumpled shirt. “No, just Sunny."
 
“Okay…"
 
She shrugged.
 
“Okay. Anyway.” He tapped his planner. “A few things. I got a call from Kim Taeyeon’s manager about the upcoming Life’s Good recording. He says that you’ll be away this Wednesday at 2pm?"
 
“Yes. I’m really sorry for the late notice, I’ll send a—”
 
“Don’t worry about any of that, Tiffany. It’s already been approved.” He smiled. “In fact, because the latest issue is going to be published on Monday, the show will be great for our publicity. We’re going to give you an advance copy to bring onto the show."
 
“Oh. Do I have to, like, sell it or anything?"
 
He shook his head. “No, nothing like that. Kim Taeyeon’s company said that the show will maybe ask you a few questions but that’s it. Nothing you need to do."
 
“Okay, then."
 
“Perfect. Best of luck on the show, by the way."
 
Tiffany smiled weakly. “I don’t even know which channel it’s on…"