Chapter 17

edits

 

 

Tiffany stopped short as she reached the doors. 
 
“You forgot that they’d be outside?"
 
She turned to Taeyeon, who had caught up and was looking at her with an amused grin. “I can hear your fans through the doors,” said Tiffany in disbelief. “They weren’t that loud earlier."
 
“There are probably more of them now. It’s after work and school hours, after all."
 
Tiffany took a deep breath. “I have to go out there with you?"
 
“Yep.” She looked up in surprise as she felt Taeyeon take her hand gently. “It’s okay,” said Taeyeon with a reassuring smile. “They’re people, just like we’re people."
 
“I’m not scared.” Tiffany took another breath. 
 
“Your hand’s really sweaty for no reason, then?"
 
“Oh! Sorry."
 
Taeyeon laughed and tightened her grip as Tiffany tried to pull away. “Relax. Just walk and wave and in no time we’ll be in the car."
 
Tiffany did her best to “relax”. She really did. As Taeyeon pushed the doors opened, Tiffany mentally recited the alphabet backwards. When Taeyeon tugged on her hand and stepped out of the building, Tiffany spelled MISSISSIPPI to herself over and over again. But when the sound of the deafening cheer hit her face on, Tiffany nearly tripped.
 
“Whoa there, you okay?” Beside her, Taeyeon grabbed her elbow to steady her. 
 
Tiffany nodded, collecting herself. “Just tripped,” she whispered.
 
After one last worried look, Taeyeon nodded and stepped back, still holding onto Tiffany’s hand. “Car’s right in front,” she said, pointing discreetly. “I’m going to start walking."
 
There was a definite increase in the size of the crowd. Tiffany glanced around as they walked past, noticing a lot of school uniforms. Students stood in clumps, screaming Taeyeon’s name at the top of their lungs. Many of them waved large boards covered in coloring writing: “TAEYEON UNNIE FIGHTING” and “TAEYEON I LOVE YOU” were clearly favorite lines. 
 
She was so absorbed in reading fanboards that she almost didn’t hear her name until she had walked past. “Tiffany! Tiffany Hwang! Hey! It’s me!"
 
“Yoona?” 
 
Tiffany stopped short, pulling Taeyeon with her. She stared into the crowd, ignoring the shrieking, to see Yoona waving enthusiastically at her. 
 
“What is it?"
 
“It’s Yoona, my co-worker,” said Tiffany as Taeyeon looked back at her curiously. “Can I go over and say hi?"
 
“Yeah, of course. I’ll come with you."
 
As they walked closer to the railings that held the crowd back, Taeyeon’s fans got even louder, if that was possible. Tiffany stopped right in front of Yoona with Taeyeon standing close behind her.
 
“What are you doing here?"
 
Yoona beamed. “I’m part of your fan club!"
 
“My what?"
 
“Fan club!” Yoona gestured at the two wide-eyed students beside her. “These two told me about it and asked me to join."
 
Tiffany looked at the two girls, who gasped when they made eye-contact. “H-hello,” she said uncertainly. “What are your names?"
 
“I’m Heejin, and this is my best friend Jinhee. We’re your fans!"
 
“Oh,” said Tiffany.
 
When neither Heejin nor Jinhee managed to say anything else, Yoona stepped up to save them. “Didn’t you have something for her, Jinhee?” She nudged the girl good-naturedly. “I think Tiffany would like it a lot."
 
Jinhee slowly extended her arms, revealing a box tightly clasped between her shaking hands. “T-This is for you,” she said, barely audible above all the cheering from the other fans. “We got it for you."
 
Tiffany took the box carefully. “Thank you,” she said nervously. 
 
“Don’t you want to see what it is?” Taeyeon bumped their joined hands against Tiffany’s leg. “You can look, you know."
 
Tiffany held up the box and let out a small gasp. “Oh my god. This is…”
 
“What is it?"
 
She looked to Taeyeon with an incredulous expression. “This is a limited edition Totoro puzzle! 5000 pieces! I looked everywhere for it and couldn’t find it!” Turning around to face the two girls, Tiffany shook her head worriedly. “I can’t accept this,” she said as she held the box out to them. “I know how much this costs and this is way too big of a gift. You should save it for yourselves."
 
“We want to give it to you,” said Heejin, pushing the box back. “You like puzzles so much, it’s enough for us to see that you’re enjoying it.” Beside her, Jinhee nodded fervently. “The fan club all came together and got it for you."
 
“But—”
 
Yoona grinned. “Keep it, Tiffany. I chipped in too!"
 
“But—”
 
Tiffany looked helplessly at Taeyeon, only to find the singer nodding with a smile. “Accept it. Take good care of it.” She leaned in to whisper, “It means a lot to them. Don’t give it back."
 
At that, Tiffany exhaled. She bowed deeply - the crowd cheered - and she reached out to shake both girls’ hands gratefully. “Thank you so much. Please help me say thank you to everyone who had a part in this."
 
Heejin gave her a thumbs up. “We found it at a shop in Insadong, unnie. If you want, try looking for more puzzles there."
 
“Oh, really? What’s it called? I’ve looked all over Seoul and—” 
 
Tiffany looked back as there was a squeeze on her hand. “Sorry,” said Taeyeon, “but we really have to go."
 
“It’s okay, Tiffany,” said Yoona, "I’ll tell you the name of the shop. See you tomorrow!"
 
Tiffany waved, bowing and walking at the same time as she clutched the box to her chest. “Bye! Thank you again!”
 
It wasn’t until she got into the car that she finally let go of Taeyeon’s hand to hold the puzzle in front of her face. As Mr. Jang started to drive away, Tiffany touched the picture on the box lightly and sighed happily.
 
“What’s that?"
 
Taeyeon answered Minjoo for her. “It’s a puzzle. A fan gave it to her; it’s from her fan club."
 
“Oh! That! I helped too!"
 
“What?” Tiffany finally tore her eyes away from the box. 
 
Minjoo turned around from the front. “I’m part of your fan club too, you know. They were organizing this and I thought it’d be cool to pitch in."
 
“You’re what?"
 
Even Taeyeon’s eyebrows were raised. “Are you part of my fan club?"
 
“Psh, no. I’m Tiffany’s fan, not yours."
 
“Oppa, are you hearing this?!"
 
Mr. Jang laughed. “Before you ask, yes, I’m also part of Tiffany’s fan club."
 
“What?!"
 
“Style and poise, Taeyeon, style and poise. Tiffany’s got it.” Minjoo sniffed. “You? Meh."
 
As Taeyeon continued to bicker with Minjoo, Tiffany hugged the box to herself and looked out of the window with a huge smile on her face.