Chapter 6

edits

 

 

 

 

Tiffany sat in the waiting area. Beside her, Taeyeon fiddled with her fingers.
 
“Don’t you have to wear sunglasses or something?” Tiffany asked suddenly.
 
“Hmm?"
 
“You know, to disguise yourself. Actresses have to stay incognito when they’re in public or something, right?"
 
Taeyeon rubbed the back of her neck. “Actually, I’m not an actress."
 
“Sorry. Model."
 
“Uh, not a model either. I’m a singer."
 
Tiffany winced. “Sorry. I…I’m not very well-versed with pop culture."
 
“That’s okay."
 
“So you don’t have to wear a helmet or something?"
 
“I—”
 
The approach of a nurse made them both look up. “Hello,” she said, smiling. “Miss Hwang?"
 
“That’s me."
 
“I’m here to administer your IV drip. Are you ready?"
 
“Oh, yes.” Tiffany pulled her sleeve up. “Also…you’re not Nurse Nam, are you?"
 
“No, I’m Nurse Park. Nurse Nam is currently…indisposed.” Her eyes flickered briefly to Taeyeon. “Do you want to see her?"
 
“I’m fine. Just asking,” said Tiffany hurriedly.
 
 “Alright. Now, if you could give me your hand. This may hurt a little."
 
Tiffany watched as Nurse Park felt her elbow, then her wrist. With a deft movement, she ripped open a little packet and took out the alcohol wipe to swab the inside of Tiffany’s elbow. She then turned away to peel open the needle. 
 
Suddenly, Tiffany felt something slip into her free hand. She looked over to see Taeyeon gripping her hand tightly with a pinched expression. “What are you doing?” 
 
“I—” Taeyeon looked confused. “I thought you might be a bit scared?"
 
“I’m not scared."
 
“Oh. Uh."
 
“You can hold my hand if you’re scared,” said Tiffany. The beginnings of a itch in her nose made her sniff, hard, to keep the blood from dripping out.
 
“Sorry,” said Taeyeon, turning slightly pink. “I hate needles." 
 
When Nurse Park finally inserted the needle, Tiffany let out a breath from the pain. The prick in her elbow was minor, but the viselike clamp on her hand hurt like the devil. She peeked over to see Taeyeon trembling with her eyes screwed shut.
 
“All finished,” said Nurse Park. “If you can rest here and not make any sudden movements for about half an hour, the drip will be done and you can go home. Come find me or another nurse when you’re ready."
 
--
 
“Thank you for staying with me,” said Tiffany as they got into the car. 
 
“No worries. I had nothing to do anyway."
 
“You can just drop me off at nearest train station."
 
“Seatbelt,” said Taeyeon.
 
Tiffany put hers on with one hand as she took out a tissue with the other.
 
“You’re bleeding again?!"
 
“Ah? Yeah. Doctor said it’ll keep happening.” She finally got the belt on. “There."
 
“Seriously?! He didn’t give you medicine or tell you how to fix it?"
 
She shrugged. “Nothing concrete,” said Tiffany. “It’s fine, I’ll just drink more Gatorade."
 
“He said you needed more Gatorade?"
 
“No, but—”
 
Taeyeon frowned. “Should we go back inside to ask for medicine?"
 
“No! No, it’s okay. It’s fine. I’m serious. Let’s go."
 
“Are you sure?"
 
“Yes, I am.” Tiffany held up a thumb. “All good."
 
“I’m driving you home."
 
“Just the station will do."
 
“Nope. Where do you live?"
 
“The station will do."
 
Taeyeon adjusted the rearview mirror again. “Where do you live?"
 
“I live at the nearest train station."
 
“I’m not moving until you tell me where you live.” Taeyeon turned the engine off and stuck out her chin.
 
“Fine, I’ll walk."
 
There was a click as all the doors in the car locked.
 
“Okay,” said Tiffany slowly. “This looks really illegal, Miss Kim."
 
“Oh. Oops."
 
The doors unlocked with another click.
 
Tiffany sighed. “Just drop me off at the station, Taeyeon."
 
“Nope.” Taeyeon pressed another button casually and jumped when the windshield wipers started moving furiously. “Oh, . I always mix up the door lock and the stupid windshiel—”
 
--
 
Tiffany threw her keys onto the kitchen table as the door closed behind her. Kim Taeyeon was very stubborn, she had to admit. Once the windshield wipers, headlights, and windows had stopped turning on and off, Tiffany had surrendered and given Taeyeon her address. A thirty minute ride in the car with a smug singer combined with a hand pressed to her nose and Tiffany was deposited at her front door.
 
“What a day,” said Tiffany to herself as she went to take a shower. 
 
In another hour, she was passed out on her bed, fast asleep.
 
--
 
She woke up to the sound of her alarm. “Ow,” she muttered as she reached for her phone. The spot where the IV had been was sore and she massaged it gently while squinting at the screen. 
 
“What the…” Tiffany trailed off as she scrolled through all the notifications. “What?"
 
[Natnatxoxo: you got game, tiff ;)]
[Yoona: unnie??? what’s going on??]
[lexie: YOU DIDNT TELL ME???]
[3 Missed Calls from Mom]
[Mom: miyoung please call me. love, mom]
[Mom: miyoung what is going on? love, mom]
[Dad: .]
[Mom: miyoung please call us. love, mom]
 
There were hundred more just like those. With a sinking feeling, Tiffany sat up and ran a hand through her hair. She scanned quickly through the list, quickly texting her mom - “I’m fine, mom, will let you know when i figure it out. tell dad he texted again” - and caught sight of one message.
 
[Sunny: call me. right now. right now!]
 
It was received ten minutes ago. Tiffany dialed Sunny’s number and immediately heard Sunny’s voice. “Tiffany?"
 
“What’s going on?"
 
“You haven’t seen?"
 
“Seen what?” Tiffany sat on the edge of her bed. “I just woke up to a bazillion messages and missed calls."
 
“Get your laptop."
 
“Got it."
 
“Search Kim Taeyeon."
 
“Sunny, what is go—”
 
“Are you searching it up?"
 
“Alright, give me a second,” said Tiffany, keeping her phone between her shoulder and ear as she typed. “Okay, I did, and…oh.”
 
“You see it?"
 
Tiffany stared. “Holy. ."
 
“Yeah."
 
“What. The. ."
 
On the screen, all of the top search results said the same thing. Tiffany scrolled slowly, her jaw dropping in horror as she saw the pictures. There were pictures of her getting into the car in front of her office building, there were pictures of her getting out of the car at the hospital, there were pictures of her getting back into the car at the hospital. Worst of all, there were pictures of her getting out of the car right in front of her own apartment.
 
Kim Taeyeon’s Love Story! Kim Taeyeon’s Secret Girlfriend? Nation’s Goddess: She’s Finally Found Her Match! The Girl Who Captured Kim Taeyeon’s Heart! 
 
“Holy ,” she whispered. 
 
“Yeah. Congrats,” said Sunny over the line, “you’ve just become the most interesting person in the country."