Persistent

불분명 (Obscurity)

 

     That felt good, really good. Even though it wasn’t very fulfilling, it felt good to finally express part of my anger directly to him, Lee Donghae. Kyuhyun didn’t follow me, for experience told him not to meddle with me when I am in this kind of mood. He did, however, shout out a “be careful” before I exited the residence. Now here I am, in a sidewalk athwart to the Jung residence, waiting for the bus that would take me home. While waiting for such an occurrence, I pondered whether or not I did the right thing. My brain told me it was right, for it was not healthy to keep an overpowering emotion, such as misery, deep inside you. You have to find an outlet, one that would either tame or completely get rid of such negative feelings. However, my heart told me that could’ve been a bit nicer, for it wasn’t like me to burst out like that. I sighed and eventually, the bus that I was looking for came into view. I signaled for it to stop but when I did, a most uninvited person appeared beside me.

“What the heck?! What are you doing here?!” I exclaimed, completely caught off guard.

Lee Donghae smiled. I felt a tinge of irritation and attraction well up deep inside of me.

“What else?” he asked, flashing another smile, “to drive you home, of course.”

I stared at him like he was the dumbest person in the history of idiots. “What?! Didn’t you hear me back there?” I screeched. “I said no! Do you have a problem with your hearing, or with the language I’m speaking that made you not understand such a simple response? Or are you just plain stubborn?” my face was practically flushing with anger and exasperation right now. But my anger was short lived when the driver of the bus I called to stop called out in an angry voice. “Hey! What gives? Are you gonna ride or not? I don’t have all night to watch the both of you argue!”

“Sorry,” I said quickly. Flashing Donghae a quick scowl, I started to board the bus when he blocked my way. “It’s okay,” he said to the driver, “I got this. You can go ahead.”

The driver cursed and muttered, “Stupid kids” under his breath but loud enough for us to hear, then speeded off.

Donghae was still smiling when I stared at him with disbelief and resentment. “You got some nerve! Look what you’ve done, I lost my chance of a ride home!”

He laughed. I was momentarily enthralled by the sound of his laughter, but my anger didn’t waver. “You already have your ride home!” he exclaimed, his smile getting wider. “And he’s right here.” he said, pointing his index finger towards himself. “Now come on,” he urged, holding my hand with an iron grip and started to drag me towards his black Mercedes Benz that was parked in an inconspicuous area. I almost screamed for him to let go of me. “Stop it! I can charge you for assaulting and kidnapping you know!” I shrieked.

“Jeez, is that what they call giving a person a ride home now?” he smirked.

“It is when it is against their will!” I gasped, trying to free my hand from his steady grasp.

“It doesn’t have to be against your will. You can come with me like old friends and you’ll be home before you know it.”

“That’s the point!” I practically shouted. “We’re not old friends! We just met each other for crying out loud! And besides, I already said no! What the heck is wrong with you?”

To my surprise, he let go of my hand silently, but didn’t turn around to look at me. “Finally, you’ve come to your– “ I started. “Tell me,” Donghae interrupted, still not facing me, “what have I done that made you hate me so much?”

I paused, taken aback by his question. “W-what?” I stammered.

“What have I done to make you hate me so much?” Donghae asked, finally turning around to look at me in the eye. “I mean all you ever do is glower and resent me. And here I am, wondering what I did wrong. Why? What have I done wrong? What did I do to offend you?” For the first time, I heard a tinge of anger in his voice.

I stared at him, unknowing how to answer his question. Should I confess? Should I pledge that I fell in love with him? Should I tell him how I felt the world collapse unto my shoulders the moment his lips and Jessica’s met? Should I tell him how I really felt, standing here while he was offering me a ride? No. Now’s not the time. That day will come, but not now. It’s too early for confessions. “I have my reasons.” I stated, gaping at the rough asphalt sidewalk, not meeting his eyes.

“That hardly seems fair.” he said.

“Well for starters, you practically dragged me towards here just you can force me to take up your offer of giving me a ride!” I exclaimed.

Donghae held his hands up in the air then immediately dropped them to his sides and sighed. “Fine, since you see my offer as something forceful, I might as well give up. Good night to you, Miss Yoona” he said, his face expressionless then started to walk away.

My heart sank. Deep inside me, all I wanted was to accept the offer, say yes to him and cruise in Seoul’s nighttime splendor in the back of his car; watching the man who caught my heart at first sight while he drove me towards my home. But my heart and brain were quarrelling, each blinded by its own creed. My heart fought blindly for his love but my brain was fighting indignantly, blinded by anger of what happened. Watching him walk away like that sent a pang of guilt on my good morality. Unconditionally, I called him. Nodding my head slowly, he nodded in reply.