Three-Sided

불분명 (Obscurity)

 

     It’s amazing how three words could light up somebody’s day. Clutching my phone, I had to restrain myself from uttering a squeal of delight. I just hoped Donghae wouldn’t notice this; otherwise, I would truly be embarrassed. You can’t blame me. I’m young, I’m naïve, and I’m new with this whole ‘love’ thing. I just don’t know whether that is a good thing or a bad thing.

“Sure?” Excitement however, couldn’t be restrained in my voice. “How come you’re coming back already?” I asked, and then added quickly, “I mean, not that I’m complaining or anything, but don’t you need to be in that institute? Do you have your sight back?”

His tone sounded a little dismayed at first, but it vanished right after he said the first statement. “No, unfortunately, I haven’t recovered my eyesight yet.” He cleared his throat, before he continued. “As for why I’m coming back, the instructor here informed me that I have achieved the necessary marks needed so I would be able to enroll into any school in South Korea.” Even behind the receiver, there was unmistakable radiance in his voice.

“Really?” suppressing a smile seemed impossible at this moment. “That’s great! Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”

Donghae laughed in the other line. “Relax, Yoona. I miss you too, but you shouldn’t get all jumpy. What would other people say?” he laughed again, and I laughed along with him. “Okay, the first reason why I didn’t tell you earlier is that I liked to surprise you.” He paused, and then added in an almost-laughing voice, “And judging from your reaction, I’d say reason number one is a success!”

I laughed. Even the sound of his eager voice seemed to ease the post-tremors caused by our epic performance. “Okay, you got me. I’m undeniably surprised. What’s the second reason?”

“The second reason is that, I had to take two more tests to have a consistent record and validate my transfer.”

“Awww, so that means you still have to take those tests before coming back?” I asked, slightly frustrated.

“I said ‘I had’ not ‘I have’. Tests were done this morning!” he beamed.

“And the results were?”

“Outstanding. A perfect one hundred percent.” He seemed to be utterly proud of himself.

I squealed with delight and had to stop myself from being heard by others. “Attaboy!So when are you coming back?” I asked.

“Tomorrow noon. Around twelve-o’clock.”

My eyes widened after hearing the close timeframe. “12 p.m.? That’s like,” I glanced at my wristwatch, “fifteen hours from now!”

Hae laughed. “Therefore, you have fifteen hours to think on how you’re gonna welcome me back,” he said, his voice euphoric. “Don’t stress yourself Yoona. I’m only coming back. It’s that much of a big deal.”

“You know that’s not true. Everyone here misses you. Don’t worry. I’ll make sure you’ll have a warm reception when you arrive back in school tomorrow. Everyone will have to cooperate, that’s for sure.”

“Okay, you’re the boss. Just don’t overexert yourself, Yoona,” he said with a hint of worry. “You’re human too, you know. You have your limitations.”

“I’m aware of that Hae,” I laughed in mock sarcasm. “And I’m also aware that you still have to pack up for tomorrow.”

“Oh yeah, that’s right. Thanks for reminding me.” There was brief static before he spoke again. “I guess I’d better hang up, Yoona. You reminded me of the ultimate difficulty – packing up.

“Do you need help? I can drive over there and help you out,” I offered.

He laughed. “Seriously, I was only kidding, Yoona.” He paused to laugh again. “I didn’t get outstanding marks by being a slacker. I can practically do the normal routines by myself now.”

“That’s good to hear. Hopefully you won’t have any trouble. So I guess,” I hesitated, “I’ll see you around?”

“I’ll see you, Yoona. Tomorrow,” he promised.

“Okay, goodbye.” Silence followed, and then the line disconnected.

A slight pang of pain surfaced, but it was immediately replaced by a feeling of extreme anticipation. I stashed my phone back into my pocket while the smile constantly played on my face. I knew this feeling wouldn’t be leaving me anytime soon.

“Someone looks pretty happy today,” a voice from my right commented.

I turned and saw Kyuhyun with a smile dangling in his lips. I playfully punched his arm. “Shut up, it’s nothing,” I said, giggling.

“Then, I want to know what this ‘nothing’ is,” he said, grimacing from my punch.

“Okay, I’ll tell you,” I said; the smile was still lingering in my mouth. I breathed out. “Donghae is coming back.”

Kyuhyun blinked once or twice before uttering out a word, “R-really?”

I nodded, smiling. “And I need to prepare for his arrival tomorrow. So, uh, could you tell the guys that I’ll have to go ahead? I still got a lot of things to do. Please thank Mrs. Park for me too. I gotta go! Bye!”

Without saying another word, I gave Kyuhyun a hug and hurriedly exited the backstage, never noticing the imperfect smile etched on his face.

*                                                                    *                                                                              *

Aish, I can’t believe it rained just before I was about to get home! I thought, inserting the key hurriedly in the doorknob to avoid getting even wetter, but no such luck occurred. Within seconds, I was completely drenched in rainwater. Come on! Open already!I twisted the key again, but it still didn’t open. I knocked the door furiously in vain attempt of opening it. Taking a deep breath, I gave the key a strong turn which was immediately followed by the sound of metal breaking. Holding the set of keys up, I stared in dismay when I saw what was left of the key I twisted forcibly.

“Shoot! No wonder it won’t open! I used the wrong key!” I exclaimed, wide-eyed at my own stupidity.

Finding the right key, I was able to open the door after a quick wrist movement. Sighing deeply, I made a mental note to replace the broken key, which was apparently the first floor bathroom’s key, as soon as possible. There was a note from my mother posted on the table where I usually put my things.

I’ll be home late tonight. Please take care of the house while I’m gone.

 Setting aside my things, I rushed to the bathroom and tried to wrench it open. It was locked. What kind of twisted genius locked the door?Great, and to think I just broke the key of the one door I rarely even lock.

But it’s locked now, my mind nagged.

Oh shut up. If it weren’t for your stupidity this wouldn’t have happened.

I didn’t know why I was even arguing with myself. I had to stop before I would lose it. Even with this day ending in total mayhem, there was still this one side of my brain that rejoiced because he was finally coming back after many months.

“Focus, Yoona,” I scolded myself. “There’ll be plenty of time to think about that. But right now, let’s concentrate on getting your bladder empty.”

Good thing my house has two bathrooms. I wouldn’t have had the guts to go out and ask the neighbors if I could use their bathroom. After doing my business, I hurried to the kitchen to whip up something for dinner. Drat, maybe I should’ve stayed until after the after-party; then I wouldn’t be cooking like this. Gathering up some vegetables and a few beef meat, I started to make beef stew. It’s a little non-Korean, but I couldn’t care less on what kind cuisine I was cooking right now. All I want is to suffice the needs of my hungry stomach.

     After adding the beef with water, I set the stove in low flame. Leaving the pot to boil, I went upstairs and undressed myself. I folded my clothes neatly and placed them in the basket which I use for the laundry. Stepping into the bathroom, I hung my towel on the sink and cautiously stepped inside the shower space. Sighing in contentment, I recalled the day’s events and told myself that things are probably getting better. I the shower and shivered once the cold water made contact with my bare skin. Other than the frigid feeling these waters brought, it relaxed and cooled my mind as if to anticipate this day’s ending. Everything’s gonna be alright. Things are finally settling down after who knows how long. I was about to rinse my hair from the lather when I heard something else besides the continuous spray of the shower. I turned the shower off to confirm what I’ve heard when the doorbel rang again, and again. Something told me that someone was getting impatient. Omo, someone’s ringing the doorbell, and I’m still here! Hastily, I washed all the remaining lather and suds from my body, wrapped myself with my towel when the bell stopped ringing.

“Oh great. All that effort for nothing,” I mumbled.

All of a sudden, my phone, which was on the sink, rang out its highly alarming tone and I almost jumped in fright. Rattled, I took out my phone and answered with a shaky voice.

“H-hello?”

“Yoona, it’s me Kyuhyun!” an urgent voice from the other line replied.

I frowned. “Hey, did you know you almost killed me by calling me? You really have wrong timing, don’t you?”

I could hear Kyuhyun fighting a laugh on the other line. “Okay, what did I do this time?”

“I was taking a bath and was about to go out when my phone rang because of you. Did you know I could’ve died from heart attack or would’ve slipped because of that?” I said, my tone half-accusing and half-teasing.

Kyu laughed. “How is that my fault? You’re the one who chose that ringtone.”

He did have a point.

“Oh, whatever. Just don’t you ever do that again,” I said in defeat, laughing.“So why did you call in the first place?”

There was a brief moment of silence before Kyu replied, “Oh yeah, about that,” he paused and laughed briefly, “I was the one who rang your doorbell.”

“You what?”

“I wanted to talk to you, but since you didn’t open, I decided to call you.”

“So basically, you’re outside my house?” I asked, mildly shocked.

“Yeah. Can you please let me in? It’s wet and freezing out here. I had to look for the driest spot I could find so I could call you without short-circuiting my phone.”

“Oh my, why didn’t you say so? Hang on, I’ll be there. I’ll bring you some spare clothes.”

He declined with my offer at first, but after a few persuasive words, I was able to convince him to do it my way. I hung up and told him I would hurry. I entered my brother’s old room and opened his cabinet. Though the clothes were a bit dusty due to lack of use, these would do just fine. Although my brother is way bigger than Kyuhyun, being choosy wouldn’t help especially since the alternatives were against you. It was either my brother’s oversized clothes, or my fitting girl clothes. I was sure that Kyuhyun would do well without the latter.

     I rushed downstairs hanging a towel on my shoulder while my hands held the oversized clothes. Putting the clothes down, I opened the lock on the front door and saw a rather wet looking Kyuhyun leaning against the wall while staring at the ceiling. His gaze immediately averted to me after the door opened.

“Yoona, I –” he started.

“Shush,” I cut him off. “Get inside quickly! You must be really cold out there!”

He hesitantly went inside and I tossed him the towel. “Here, dry yourself first before settling in. I brought you some of my brother’s clothes. I know they’re a bit big for you, but they’re all I’ve got. Unless you want to wear my blouses and girl t-shirts, that is.”

He smiled unsurely, “Thanks, Yoona, but you didn’t need to do any of this.”

“I want to!” I replied, smiling. “Besides, I can’t have you dripping on the floor. I would need to mop the floor if that would happen. Dry yourself, and change. I’ll make you some tea, and I made some soup. When I come back, I expect you to change. Don’t let me change your shirt for you.”

He laughed. “Jeez, you sound like a mom. Sure, sure. I’ll change.”

Smiling, I made my way to the kitchen and fixed up two bowls of for the both of us. I added in some rice, and made tea for the both of us using some hot water and teabags. Chuckling in satisfaction, I carried our dinner to the table and laid out the delicate chinaware for both of us to use. Clapping my hands, I called Kyuhyun and invited him to the dining room. Since he was being stubborn, I had to literally drag him halfway towards the room.

“Come on, Kyu, stop playing with me, I’m hungry too!” I pouted.

He stopped me abruptly and placed a hand on my shoulder. “I don’t think I should stay for dinner, Yoona.”

I raised my eyebrow. “Why not? It’s already been set. It’s too late to turn back now!”I half-laughed, and started to drag him again.

“No,” he said, halting me. “I only came here to say something to you. After that, I was planning on leaving.”

I stared at him, his expression unreadable. “What? So soon? That something must be really important. But that can wait. Let’s eat first!” I insisted.

Kyu held my arm the moment I started to walk towards the dining room. “No, this can’t wait. I need to tell you now, or else, I may never have another chance to tell you this,” he chuckled humorlessly. “Especially since he’ll be coming back by tomorrow.”

That captured my attention. “What are you trying to say, Cho Kyuhyun?” I pressed, somewhat fearful of the answer.

“Im Yoona, I love you, okay?”