Iris

불분명 (Obscurity)

 

     Having my book back seemed pointless at that time even with the game over. Now it was impossible to read thoroughly with all the pandemonium caused by victory going on inside the Coliseum. The screams from the audience didn't seem to waver. It even intensified when the basketball team received the huge gold trophy signifying their remarkable feat against a formidable opponent. After a few more moments in the limelight, the team eagerly hoisted Donghae up on their shoulders. Team Leader and Captain, he was the one who caused the Tigers’ Victory and saved them from a frustrating defeat.

     I’d insisted that we’d immediately go to the library where I’ll get some peace and quiet so I would finish the last remaining chapters of my book, but Kyuhyun had other plans. He said he’d like to congratulate the team in person, Donghae especially. Other than me, Kyuhyun and Donghae were old childhood friends. From pre-K until 4th grade, they were as close as best friends could be. But then, Donghae’s parents decided to leave for Japan for some interesting job offers, taking Hae with them. I recall Kyu telling me that Hae never bid goodbye to him. He said he remembered waking up one day, headed to school to find an empty seat beside him. That’s when the teacher told the class that Hae left for Tokyo. Needless to say, Kyuhyun was abashed and taken aback by the news. Coincidentally, I met Kyu a year after Hae left. He’s been aloof during those days and I, the new girl, was the only one who cheered him up. Long story turned short, we became best friends in no time.  

     Now, Donghae came back to Seoul since he was insistent on going back to South Korea. He came back just a few months earlier and despite of being new, he didn’t have any trouble on making it into the varsity team and effortlessly outshined the resident MVP’s. He became captain of the team in no time. Presently, Kyuhyun plans on restoring their somewhat broken friendship with Donghae although he didn’t start on that happy note just yet. They haven’t been in contact ever since Hae came back from Japan. To be honest, I didn’t never even saw Donghae notice Kyuhyun ever since he came back and part of me says that I couldn’t blame him. Seoul International High School was so huge it was hard to keep track on who’s in the same year as you. Heck, you could even mistake some of the freshmen to be seniors if it weren’t for their school I.D.’s. Even so, I didn’t pay much attention to the guy. Frankly, I’m kind of glad Hae didn’t notice Kyuhyun. Seeing Kyu’s former best friend walking on the same campus with me means I’ve got some serious competition. And that’s why Kyu finally said that he’ll be the one to make the first move – with a bit of uncertainty in him voice; which is odd because I never seen, or heard for that matter, Kyuhyun being unsure before. He was usually the most cunning, undisputable and daring person I’ve ever known and seeing this uncertainty made me wonder how close they were really during those past years.

     Moving out from the sidelines, Kyuhyun lead me to the court of the Coliseum which already crowded with dozens of people, all with the same intention as Kyuhyun: to congratulate the winning team. Even the cheerleaders seemed to have the same goal as us. Surrounded by jostling people, I got separated with Kyuhyun. I called his name once or twice but never got an answer. I knew finding him in this crowd would be futile not only because the people around me are bigger and taller than me, but also because of the fact that Kyu would be unable to hear me due to the roaring crowd. With all the shoving and pushing going on, I didn’t notice that I bumped into someone whom I didn’t know was there. Before I could even blurt out an apology, I was captivated by the most amazing pair of eyes I’ve ever seen.