Vexation

불분명 (Obscurity)

 

     When I stared in the mirror, I found the reflection of an unsure girl with a confused expression clearly etched upon her face. It was one of those rare times wherein I was actually conscious of my appearance. I took the initiative to put on my contact lenses to replace my glasses; I wouldn’t like them falling in the party. I grabbed my bag then gently closed the door of my room and descended our narrow stairwell.  My mother, who was busy doing some of her work downstairs, noticed my entrance and smiled, “Why dear, you look lovely.” I smiled and prayed she was telling the truth. “Yeah, I was invited to a victory party by Jung Jessica,” I started, careful not to make it sound the least bit dangerous. As nice as my mother is, she’s just like any other concerned parent out there who looks out for her children. “Oh that’s good! What are you celebrating?”

“The Tigers’ victory. They won the Nationals and are now qualified for the International rounds.”

Mom’s face hardened, which was not a good thing. “Oh, the Tigers. Boys. Athletes to be exact.”

I knew where this was going. “Oh mom, you don’t have to worry about anything. We’re just celebrating, not doing funny business.” I assured her, flashing an innocent smile.

My mother was still unsure, but said, “Okay, I know I can count on you. You’re already a mature person, Yoona. You’re already responsible with these kinds of things,” she smiled. “But you must promise me: No smoking, no alcohol…”

“And no funny business.” I said, smiling at her. “Thanks mom.” I heard the honk of Kyuhyun’s convertible outside, telling it was time for me to go. “I won’t be long.”

    Did I forget to mention that Kyuhyun is one of the most fashionable people I know? Well since I said it, there you have it. Kyuhyun was at one of his best formal slash casual attire. A white shirt with a colorful print topped off with a black vest with dark blue jeans for the bottom. Yep, his outfit outshines what I’m wearing any day. No doubt he’ll be one of the ones who’ll make a huge impression in tonight’s party.

      I walked on the cobblestone steps that lead toward the gate and Kyu’s red convertible. “Hey,” I greeted. Kyu smiled and said, “You look beautiful, Yoona.”

I laughed, flattered. “I do not!”

“Might I say you look prettier in the moonlight?” Kyu said, laughing with me.

“Spoiling me won’t do any good, you know,” I said, trying to keep a straight face.

“Whatever,” he smiled, “there’s no spoiling somebody when what you’re saying is nothing but the truth.” He unlocked the car, “Come on, hop in.”

I did as I was told and in no time we were cruising in the night city breeze. As beautiful as Seoul is, it reaches its maximum splendor at night, with all the city lights aglow and the night air blowing past your face; the perfect setting for a region with temperate climate. Kyu and I didn’t talk much, but he occasionally laughed at me and reminded me of how I look like. And I would just laugh with him, and return the compliment. Apparently, I wasn’t the only one Kyuhyun picked up on the way to the party. Kim Taeyeon, Lee Sun Kyu, and Kim Hyoyeon were the other people he offered a ride. I didn’t mind, because I knew these people well and they were pretty decent. Along the way, Kim Hyoyeon, the chatty one, would frequently open up a topic that was so interesting it could either make you listen intently or make you laugh. But in most cases, it was usually the latter.

 

    With the booming music increasing in intensity, and the party lights coming into view, I didn’t need to guess that we’re closing in to Jung Jessica’s house. I heard once from a senior that Jung Jessica’s parties were considered legendary in a teenager’s perspective. And I pondered on what was in for me: a girl in a pretty pink dress wondering what was in store for her tonight. We reached Sica’s house shortly after hearing the music resonating from the gigantic speakers outside her house. “Alright, we’re here! Everybody out!” Kyuhyun clapped, unmistakable excitement in his eyes. Carefully, I took one step into the rough pavement, like a toddler taking his first steps towards her mother. Breathing a sigh, I stepped out of Kyuhyun’s car completely and stared unto the lair that was Jung Jessica’s house. Kyu was by side in seconds. Seeing the tension in my eyes, he said, “Hey, you can do this. Just be yourself.” I smiled. Another thing I liked about Kyu, he knows how to lift your spirits whenever you need it. He was definitely best friend material. I assured him with a smile and led myself into the house.

     Sica’s house was a bit rich for my standards, with a green lawn and an overly decorated interior. I began to pity the decorations. Something told me that it wouldn’t stay in one piece for long. I didn’t know how late we were, but from the looks of it, we’ve missed a lot of stuff already. People seemed to huddle into groups, others into couples and most people were already helping themselves with the food. Kyuhyun excused himself and told me he’ll be right back then disappeared into the crowd of people. Unknowing what to do first; since I’m such a novice at teenage parties, I headed to the buffet served in the middle of the wide house which seemed the safest thing to do at the moment. But as soon as I picked up the steel utensils and the delicate porcelain plate, the music warped into an overwhelming intensity I almost dropped my plate in alarm. The music changed from rock to that of a fashion show – a consistent beat paired with a sassy melody. I turned my attention from the food to wherever the sound came from.

“Ladies and Gentlemen!” a familiar voice boomed, “Presenting the Tigers basketball team!”

Then one by one, the Tigers emerged into the small stage that was well-prepared. The audience, seeing the people who made an impression earlier, screamed like there was no tomorrow. Jessica, I thought, her and her brilliant ideas. Watching the fancy entrance, I wondered what other cockamamie ideas she has off her sleeve. The last person who came out was Donghae, also the last person I wanted to see right now for fear of falling for him. My heart skipped a beat; it hasn’t been doing that in a while. I told myself to remain sane until their little intermission would be over. Jessica entered the stage smiled at Donghae with genuine appreciation. I gasped. She was gorgeous. She was wearing an all-black outfit, starting with a black marine outfit and then completed with her black tight-fitting shorts and black Stiletto boots. She even wore a dark navy police cap to top everything off. I was immediately envious. Jessica was the epitome of femininity around here. She does everything right, she has everything:  An amazing body, good intellect, remarkable talents, self-confidence and even… even Donghae. My thoughts razed in pure jealousy in my acknowledgement of the last item on my list. I was furious, I didn’t know who with, I didn’t know why. All I know is that I have this blind anger coursing throughout me and needed an outlet.

“So Donghae,” Jessica started, snapping me out of my inner monologue, “congratulations on scoring the winning shot. Team Leader, Team Captain and this year’s Most Valuable Player; no doubt you are the cause of your team’s victory.”

The crowd responded with an enthusiastic cheer, applauding and praising Hae and his feat. I waited for her to say more, and she did. Jessica held up her hand to usher in silence then continued, “Since you performed so extraordinarily, you deserve a prize!” she said that, and then kissed Donghae straight in the lips and was immediately followed by the roar of the crowd. I froze, paralyzed by a barrage of emotions. Anger vanished almost immediately and was replaced by extreme jealousy and despair. After that, everything was in a blur. But I do remember making my way out of the crowd and out of the house before the first teardrop fell.