소원을 말해요

불분명 (Obscurity)

 

     I didn’t know where I am specifically, but by the looks of it, it seemed like I was in the middle of a dark woodland. I was nighttime, and the crickets sang their unending sonata in praise of the arrival of dusk. I roamed about aimlessly, darting through the trees and jumping over low bushes, but I would always end up on the same place.

“What the heck?” I said, unbelieving. “I just left here!”

I tried a few more times, taking different routes, but I would still end up on that up on the place where I started. Eventually, I gave up and shouted in frustration. The birds, alarmed with the sudden outburst, fled from their trees in fright. I couldn’t help it. I was stuck, and I didn’t like it.

Without warning, a bright light erupted from somewhere behind the huge cypress trees, casting the dark away. The light seemed to beckon me closer and willingly, I obliged and approached the beautiful light that seemed to be my ally. The light seemed to grow brighter every time I take a step closer; I’m surprised it hasn’t blinded me yet. I was staring at the ball of light which was inches away from me. Unable to resist the temptation, I touched the luminous ball of light. Instantly, all the sounds of the forest stopped, all activities halted. I glanced around anxiously. Did I do something wrong? Did I trigger something unspeakable? My doubts were interrupted when a voice emanated from the ball of light.

“Tell me your wish,” it said.

“I wish to see,” I said. “I wish to see the girl I know and love!”

Immediately, I was shot up into the air by some unknown force. I was caught off guard since I wasn’t used to seeing heights. I could practically see the entire forest from my perspective. It didn’t stop there. The unseen force seemed to pull my body further from the earth, breaking every scientific law, especially gravity. The force took me higher and higher, I could see the entire island in which I was cast upon. Eventually I saw the entire continent, then the entire world. How is this possible? How could that ball of light do such an unreal thing? The vast expanse of earth stretched out in its circumference; a mixture of lush green and vivid cerulean. Such a sight couldn’t be described by mere words; such sight couldn’t be captured by the best of cameras.

After seconds aloft in the air, admiring the view, gravity came again and pulled me back towards the ground. It happened so fast, I became afraid. I knew for a fact that if I fell off from such a height, my body would surely be in several pieces upon contact on the ground. I tried to shout, but my voice got caught up in my throat, prohibiting me from uttering any possible sound. I was only several feet away before I would experience full impact. I braced myself, preparing to feel the worst kind of pain. However, the ball of light had other plans for me. It encircled my entire being, and then I was floating again. This time however, I wasn’t being shot skyward. Instead, my body flew several meters away from the ground at incredible speed. And inexplicably, the great cities of earth began to pass by me: New York, England, Paris, Venice, London, Denmark, Thailand, Hong Kong, Tokyo and eventually, Seoul. My heart ached at the familiar sight. The nighttime city lights, the bustling city streets, and the hustle and hurry of the people in the sidewalks. This city was my home. It was where I belonged. What pained me more was when my subconscious body approached a very familiar abode. Simple yet beautiful, I recognized it as the last house I saw – the Im Residence.

Walls seem to have the least effect on me. I just went through them as if they were nothing but mist. The house was bare, without the least trace of life inside. The ball of light followed me, shining its rays of light upon the dim household, casting out its rays on the darkest of corners. The light ushered me forward and up to a set of stairs which led up to the second floor. It went inside a room and hovered over a bed which was obviously Yoona’s. I just stood there, waiting for the ball of light to give me some sort of clue. But what happened was nothing I expected. The light materialized, forming a luminous outline of a person. Judging from the legs, the arms, the torso, it was definitely female. The light dissipated and Yoona was there, and the light was gone.

“Yoona?!” I gaped, shocked even by saying her name. “You were the light?”

Yoona laughed at my disbelief. “What can I say? I know you needed my guidance.”

I stared at her. She was just like her usual self: simple, friendly, and beautiful. Her personality was too exact, too vivid. It had to be real. “You guided me out of the dark,” I said. “Thank you.”

She smiled. “No problem. Is the dark world making you lose strength?”

“Sometimes, especially with no one to back me up,” I said, eyes downcast.

“You’re not alone Donghae,” she said. “You have me, you know I care about you.” She smiled, “And as long as I’m here, you know you don’t have to worry about being alone ever again.”

Looking at her eyes, I saw her soul. Warm and caring, she was the one. She was the person whom I want. She was the one I truly loved.

“Yoona?”

“Yes?” she raised her eyebrow.

“I love you,” I said, looking at her unfathomable eyes.

She smiled, not the least bit surprised at all. “I know Hae. I love you too. You’re all I think about. You’re all I care about.”

Being with her, hearing what she said, no other words were needed. Time stood still. All that matters were the two of us; two people professing their love for each other, their life centered only on this moment of time. I held her hand, looked into her eyes, and kissed her. When we kissed, it was deeper and slower than wildfire, like the flow of molten rock far beneath the earth. Too deep to feel the heat of it, but it moved inexorably, changing the very foundations of the earth with its advance.

“Do you love me?” she asked although she already knew the answer.

“I do.” I pecked a kiss on her cheeks. “And I always will.”

*                                                                             *                                                                             *

I woke up, greeted by darkness. I couldn’t help it. I punched my pillow in frustration. I wanted it to be real. I wanted it to happen. How come it was only a dream? Why?!