Green

불분명 (Obscurity)

 

     It was Lee Donghae, captain of the basketball team, the person I should be congratulating. I know what I should do, but I couldn’t make a head or tail of what I was doing. I should be saying something! Instead, I stood there, my legs shaking, my cheeks blushing and my heart palpitating as I tried to blurt out my message of congratulations. “C-congratulations Donghae. Y-you did well,” I said rather stupidly, looking at his eyes for any form of amusement, but I saw none.

    He smiled a rather winning smile, flashing his perfect ivory teeth. That made my heart beat faster. God, how does he do that? “Uh, thanks Miss…” he paused, waiting for me to respond and complete the statement.

“Im Yoona,” I said almost immediately. “Or just Yoona,” I added, tension building up in my voice.

I wondered if he noticed how uneasy I felt. “Okay, thanks Miss Yoona, I really appreciate the compliment.” Underneath that scripted line, he made it sound like he really meant it. I was about to open my mouth to say more, but I was interrupted by a voice calling Hae’s name.

“Donghae!” a blonde cheerleader with a pink jacket and black cap called. “Congratulations for scoring the winning shot!” It was Jung Jessica, Captain of the cheerleading squad, President of the Student Council, an overachiever and the eye candy of many boys in the campus.

“Oh hey Sica,” Donghae called. “I was just talking to Yoona here. It seems like she really enjoyed the game.”

Jessica flashed a smile, “Well that’s good!” she said, “we need all the fans that we can get. It seems you have another fan, Hae,” Jessica laughed, clutching Donghae’s arm.

Why does that make me feel the slightest bit uneasy? I nodded mutely, staring at the hand wrapped around Donghae’s arm. “Well hey, since you’re a fan of the Tigers, why don’t you come to my place this evening?” Jessica said.

I hesitated, “Uh, I don’t really know where you live, Jess,” I said carefully.

Then out of nowhere, a voice called out my name. I spun and saw Kyuhyun rushing towards me, his face a mixture of surprise and confusion.

“Hey,” he said when he finally caught up with me, “I guess you saved me the trouble of finding Donghae.” He winked at Hae, “Still remember me, fishy?”

Donghae’s eyebrows came together in confusion, and then his face lit up in realization. “No way, is that you Sulky Kyu?”

I guess the nickname rang a bell because the two ended up hugging and slapping each other in the back like long lost brothers. Jessica looked a bit bothered with the exchange.

“Wow, look at you! How long has it been?” Donghae asked, his smile lighting up his features.

“I dunno, seven years I think.” Kyuhyun said, smiling in return.

“Whoa, look at you! You look grown up! And although this may sound a little gay, you look hot too!”

Kyuhyun laughed, “You’re not so bad yourself Hae, you’ve grown a lot bigger and packed a muscle too! What happened to the small little child I used to pick on?”

The two laughed in unison, surrounded with their memories.

“So hey,” said Donghae, “as Sica was saying, she’s throwing a party tonight anyone who’s in this school can go. So, what do you say? You can take your girlfriend with you,” he said, gesturing at me.

I blushed and held my head down. Kyuhyun laughed at my reaction. “No, Yoona’s just one of my closest friends. She and I are like this close,” he said, twisting his index and middle fingers together.

Donghae rolled his eyes sarcastically, ”Sure, is that how they call hitting on somebody now?” he winked, ”okay, whatever you call it. So, you’re coming?”

“I don’t see why not.”

“Great! We’ll see you later then! 9 o’clock, Sica’s place! Gotta run now, still got a lot of work to do. Nice meeting you again, Sulky Kyu,” he winked, “and you, Miss Yoona.”

Sica smiled and said her goodbyes, then she and Donghae walked towards the Coliseum’s exit.

"Thanks for being a fan," Donghae called before exiting the coliseum door. "We need all the support we get." Then they were gone.

 

“Well that went well, right?” Kyu asked.

“Not quite,” I said.