[ Arrival ]

Platform Eight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

EPILOGUE PART 1: The Last Station

 


The thing that makes my heart better

The thing that gives my head a rest

Is nothing other than your love,

I try to empty it out but my heart goes to you again

 

 

 

 


Small droplets of white continue to fall as the last of the snowflakes for this winter runs out. The streets were still covered with snow and people are still bundled up with thick warm clothes. However the cold weather didn’t bother them as they continue to do their daily tasks.


That certain day, the train station was crowded than usual.  You could see a couple of families saying their goodbyes to their child as he or she goes far away to the city for college. For someone who doesn’t live near the city, near where the good universities are, this is the phase where they start to grow up and chase their dreams. 


“You won’t say goodbye to your noona? “ Ryeowook asked as he followed his best friend wander around the area. Being close to their family, he was asked to come along with them as they send away Ahra who was accepted in her dream university. 


“I already annoyed her last night. That was my farewell gift for her,” Kyuhyun looked around looking for a restaurant nearby. He ditched his family and dragged his best friend for some food-hunting. He saw a small milkshake store inside the station and decided to settle with it.


“You’re such a rotten brother. I pity your sister to having someone like you,” Ryeowook frowned but the other knows that he was just joking. Kyuhyun stopped and flashed a dashing smile at him before patting his best friend’s cheek. 


“I know...that’s why you like me,” he grinned that made Ryeowook turn his head away to hide his blush. That time, he already knew that he is harbouring some deep feelings for his best friend. Whatever these feelings are...he knew that it can destroy their friendship that is why he is not minding it.


“What do you like to order?” Kyuhyun asked him oblivious to his friend’s thoughts. Ryeowook shrugged and said that anything that he orders will be fine. Kyuhyun got them their drinks and went back to walk around the station. The comfortable silence didn’t bother the two best friends. Sometimes words aren’t enough to explain your feelings.


Ryeowook was in deep thoughts and when his drink was halfway finished, Kyuhyun stopped walking. The other noticed and turned back with a questioning look.


“You look a little serious today,”


Ryeowook brushed it off with a smile. “It’s nothing. Just some silly thoughts so don’t bother with it.” Kyuhyun was about to question his friend but they were interrupted by the loud horn of the train signalling its departure. They looked at each other and ran closer to the tracks while watching the train as it slowly departs the station. They watched it until it grew smaller and out of their view.


At that time Ryeowook felt a bit of sadness but he doesn’t know why. It’s like watching the train travelling far and out of sight makes him lonely. He hates goodbyes. He wasn’t used to it since all the people he knew from childhood were still there. He never experienced saying goodbye to someone important to him...yet.

 

 

He let out a tired sigh. He didn’t have the chance to rest for a while after his work because of his flight. He booked his flight home immediately as his volunteering days came to an end. Eight months passed by without him noticing... well except for his heart that counts every day that had passed. It wasn’t hard although it wasn’t easy. He had to be deaf from the longing of his heart and give way to his dreams and responsibilities for now.


When he left eight months ago without seeing his face for the last time, he was afraid that it was a bad sign for the two of them. But his faith overcame his fears. Kyuhyun once left him but he came back in the end. He will do that too. 


What they promised each other this time, they worked on it together. The eight months that they were apart, phone calls, emails and chatting online made a bridge across their distance. Although in different time zones, they tried to manage it. 

 

 

When he arrived at the dormitory where he and his colleagues will be staying, the first thing he did was to open his sns hoping that Kyuhyun left a message for him as soon as he left the operating room. He wasn’t disappointed for he saw his messages for him.


-- Wookieee!! I’m so sorry I didn’t get to send you off. I’ really mad because of this. It’s going to be months before I get to see you again.
-- Tell me when you arrived safely.
-- I counted the time difference and your arrival. I think you’ll arrive once I woke up. Don’t worry I’ll wake up early to hear from you. I miss you.  
-- I love youuuuu *kissing emoji*
Smiling, he typed a reply to his lover.
-- It’s okay Kyu, I understand. Don’t think about it too much. We will be okay. I had just arrived and I already miss your presence. Even though I don’t always see you in the hospital I know that you’re nearby unlike now. I’ll rest for now. Talk to you later... I love you mwuaaahh.


Lying down on the bed, he stared at his phone wallpaper which was a picture of the two of them during their first date. He realized that they haven’t had a lot of ‘couple’ moments because of their jobs. Those stolen moments between their work though were enough for him.


He stopped his daydreams as someone knocked on his door. His colleagues are telling him about a meeting later. He responded and began to unpack his stuff from the luggage.

 


It seems like his work here is lighter than in the hospital where he keeps on roaming all around the hospital for the whole day. Although most of his shift were spent inside the office or the kitchen, it feels nice to get out and breathe a fresh air some time. They were stationed in a town far from the city. They travel for four hours everyday to get to the town from their dormitory.


The place was mountainous with rice fields surrounding it that serves as the citizen’s source of income. When Ryeowook first saw the place he thought it was just a simple volunteering job that he needed to do for his career. It can also be a healing trip while earning money. The nature relaxes his mind from the busy city.


He didn’t mind the long hours of travelling by their private van to the town because there wasn’t a good signal in the town. He can’t live without that because he needs to contact his loved ones. But even with the hard reception, he always keeps his phone inside his coat, just in case.

 

One afternoon, Ryeowook was sorting out the vitamins that would be distributed the next day. His phone suddenly vibrated from his pocket. He answered the call.


“Kyukyu!” he chirped.


“Ryeonggu!” said his excited lover from the other line. “What are you doing?” he asked careful that he might be disturbing him from work.


“Nothing important. Just doing some inventory. What about you?” he looked at his wristwatch and guessed that Kyuhyun might be in night shift since he is awake.


“Case studies? But don’t worry I’m taking a break now. My head aches,”


“Oww my poor baby. Is it worse? Do you need to take a medicine?” Ryeowook worried.


“Nope, I can manage it,” Kyuhyun replied. “Maybe I stayed too long in front of the laptop. I’m going to the cafeteria now,”


Ryeowook thought that if he was there Kyuhyun might have gone straight to his department and ask him to go out for a snack. Poor Kyu, he doesn’t have anybody to eat with nowadays.


“Where’s Changmin?”


“Why are you asking about him?” said Kyuhyun, suspicious. Ryeowook could imagine him pouting now. He laughed quietly.


“Kyu---hyun. I can’t see you now but I can picture your face right now,”


“I’m not jealous! I’m just asking why you’re asking about him,” Kyuhyun defended.


Ryeowook laughed and he thought that his lover might be frowning at the other line right now. “You said it...not me!” he bit his lip and continued. “I’m only thinking if your buddy can accompany you since my boyfriend sounds so lonely eating alone.”


“He had his day off,” Ryeowook sighed. He should be there and annoying his boyfriend.  “I miss you Wookieee,”


“I miss you too... soooo much,”

 


Please Subscribe to read the full chapter