station twelve

Platform Eight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Station Twelve     

~ way back home  ~

 

 

The sun hasn’t risen yet when Ryeowook left home the following day. He got permission for emergency leave so now he is on his way to his grandmother’s home in the countryside. He packed some clothes inside his backpack and left early to catch the train that will bring him to his grandma’s.

He yawned and leaned his arms on the windowsill as he sat inside the train and waiting for it to leave the terminal. He haven’t recovered yet from his crazy work schedule but this short absence from work might help him get some decent sleep, although he’s going there to look after his sick grandmother.

He probably didn’t notice when someone sat beside him until the person offered him a can of coffee.

“You want some?” the person asked. Ryeowook looked down at the can first before gazing up at the person’s face. His eyes widened.

“Why are you here Kyu? I think you’re in the wrong train,”

“No I’m not. I really followed you,” he stated. “When you said last night that you’re leaving for three days I thought that I should follow you. We haven’t seen each other that much in the last five days and now this... so I pulled some strings again and here I am,” he explained.

“How did you do that? You don’t have a valid excuse,”

“I have my connections dear,” he winked. “You want some sandwich? You look like you haven’t rested at all,”

“I’m not tired... I’m just... sleepy,” he said but taking the sandwich anyway and biting on it. He leaned his head on Kyuhyun’s shoulders again. It became a habit for him now that they always sit in the train together on the way home.

“I feel sleepy too...” Kyuhyun said.

“Then you should saved your time to sleep instead of following me,” he replied. “By the way, how did you know that I’ll be going at this hour? I mean you’re on time! I didn’t mention the time of when I’m leaving,”

“I texted your mom since it’s a surprise,”

“Oh wow, you didn’t only meet her. You’re now texting each other behind my back!”

“No. I don’t have time for texting. I only asked her today to stalk you,” he ruffled his hair.

 

It took less than five hours for the train to reach the small town in the countryside where Ryeowook’s grandmother lives. They arrived at the small house before lunch and Ryeowook’s cousin warmly welcomed them.

“I’m sorry for the inconvenience. I need to be at work all the time and my colleagues expect me to lead them for our new project. And thinking about granny’s being sick all alone here makes me guilty,”

“No worries Hyukie. I’m haven’t been here in a long time too,” Ryeowook said as they settled their bags in the living room. “Is she awake? Can I see her?”

Hyukjae nodded and guided his cousin to their grandmother’s room. Ryeowook went to check on his grnadmother’s condition and also to let her know that he’s home. His cousin turned to Kyuhyun who was bringing out some boxes from his bag.

“I’ve brought some medicines and vitamins, for her and for you too,” Kyuhyun explained. “I hope these will help.”

“Oh isn’t that too much? And I’m also sorry for bothering you about this,”

“Quit apologizing,” he laughed. “You’re Wook’s family so I’m doing this. Don’t you know my parents were close to his parents before?”

“I’ve heard about it when Wook told me stories about you,” he said sitting down on the couch beside Kyuhyun as he watched him. The taller started putting the medicines and vitamins inside a paperbag before giving it to Hyukjae. “I also remember auntie mentioning your name sometimes but it’s my first time meeting you so I’m glad to know that you’re real.”

“Nice to meet you too,” he chuckled now sitting down on the couch.

“You can take a rest for now while I prepare the lunch. The guest room is upstairs at the end,” he instructed before standing up to go to the kitchen. “And I forgot to mention to Wookie, I’ll be leaving for school later after lunch,”

 

Few minutes later when Ryeowook came back, the two of them settled their bags upstairs. The wooden floor of the house creeks at some spots when stepped on but all in all it still looks neat...and homely. The walls separating the three small rooms display pictures of the whole Kim family. The granny and grandpa. Wook’s aunt and uncles and relatives that are now in different parts of the world. And  of course, his own parents. He smiled seeing the picture frames as memories flood back into him.

“You look cute in that baby picture. Can I have a copy of it?” Kyuhyun elbowed him snapping him out of his thoughts.

“I’m so chubby in that one!” he denied.

“No. It’s cute really,” he insisted. “I prefer someone who is huggable. How about you? Don’t you want someone who has fats enough to protect you or someone who is malnourished?”

Ryeowook laughed at him. “Oh come on. Can you stop at that technical stuff? I don’t want to hear anything that reminds me of work.” He started taking out his clothes from the bag and putting it in the closet. Same goes with some of his personal stuffs.

“What? I’m just asking about your preference...”

“Of what? A patient? Or a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter