station fourteen

Platform Eight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Station Fourteen 

~ stepping forward ~

 

 

Taking off his cap, mask, plastic gloves and apron, Ryeowook finally sat down after three long hours of dishing out on the tray line. He yawned still feeling sleepy as he got up at 3 am to get ready for work. His supervisor decided to shift his schedule ever since he came back from his short leave.  He was assigned down in the dietary taking care of the nourishments for the patients. It was nothing for him as he thinks it is easier than talking all day long and counselling patients. His throat doesn’t hurt usually but he certainly doesn’t like touring the hospital all day long. He wondered how others had the strength to do that everyday.

Ryeowook heard his stomach growl. He hasn’t eaten his breakfast yet, only drank a cup of coffee along the way to wake up his senses. He picked up his phone wanting to text Kyuhyun if he is busy but remembered that both of their schedules are now different. He glanced at the clock that reads 7 am. He probably just arrived at work, Ryeowook thought.

Instead, he took his wallet and got up to buy some decent food outside. As soon as he went outside the office area he saw the staffs were up to something. Sungmin was among them and he noticed his friend’s arrival so he beckoned him to join them.

And that’s when Ryeowook learned the cause of the commotion.  As he walked closer he saw the back of Kyuhyun handling some burgers and drinks to his staffs. When he turned around he saw him and smiled gently.

“I feel bad I can’t join you again at lunch today so I thought I should bring something now before I go,” Kyuhyun explained before handling him a paper bag. “I got your favourite,”

Ryeowook’s eyes lit up like a little child who got his present. “You’re a godsend! I was about to go out, I’m starving...”

“Well... do our senses linked to each other?”

“Probably... b-but, you didn’t have to this at all. You must be in duty right now,” the smaller said looking at his co-staffs who were busy eating and chatting. His eyes caught Sungmin who was eyeing the two of them with a... with a silly knowing grin. He frowned at him and turned back his attention to Kyuhyun.

“You’re right but I made sure I had extra minutes to go down here so—”

Dr. Cho, please proceed to Neuro ICU. The customer service line spoke through the centralized speakers.

Dr. Cho, please proceed to Neuro ICU. Ryeowook crossed his arms and raised his brow.

Dr. Cho, please proceed to Neuro ICU.

“Speaking of which...”

“I think I should go now,”

“Hurry up. It must be urgent Kyu,”

“Don’t starve yourself if I’m not around okay?” he lightly pats Ryeowook’s shoulder before running to the elevator that connects the dietary department to the wards upstairs. And before the door closes he flashed a silly grin and waved goodbye.

Having witnessed the whole sickeningly adorable interaction, Sungmin corners his friend. “Am I missing something between the two of you? Or are you having secrets that you’re not telling to your best friend huh?”

“What?? No I’m not! There’s nothing to hide from you and why would I do that?” Ryeowook munched on his burger, slightly surprised at his colleague and friend.

“Well then...can you explain what I saw just now?”

“Kyu brought some foods to us. Ummm...I think he must have sensed that I’m hungry. It’s amazing isn’t it? He must be feeling bad that he can’t eat with me later but I’m fine with that. I’ll just entertain myself here,” Ryeowook said.

Sungmin wanted to roll his eyes at how dense Ryeowook is. Is he like this all the time? He doesn’t have any choice but to ask him directly then.

“Are you and Kyuhyun-ssi a couple now?”

Ryeowook got choked by the food he swallowed the moment Sungmin asked him that question. The other patted his back with a guilty expression for asking him at the wrong timing. He offered him a bottle of water and after few minutes Ryeowook’s cough had calmed down.

“Are you okay?”

Ryeowook held up his hand, “I’m fine,”

“I’m sorry...”

“It’s okay Min,”

He waited for few more minutes, observing his friend before getting back to his question. “Sooo what? Are you two... you know...”

“No we’re not. What made you think we’re a couple?”

“Oh for heaven’s sake, can’t you see that you two act like it already? You two reminds me of those days when I was courting Saeun.

“You two are much worse than us. Don’t you remember what you have done? I wished I took a video of those silly dat—“

“Stop stop stoooop” Sungmin covered his ears. “No need to remind me please. We’re talking about you and Kyuhyun now, don’t change the topic,”

“Okay, okay but we’re not yet together Min,”

“Yet?” he crossed his arms and Ryeowook avoided his eyes. “So when are you going to tell that poor guy that you love him?” Ryeowook opened his mouth to deny but the other beat him to it. “Don’t you dare deny it,”

“Okay, I do love him! Are you happy now?” he admitted.

“Don’t confess to me. Go and tell him that,”

Ryeowook covered his face with both of his hands. “How? How do I do that? I don't know about things like this! Have you ever heard me talking about my love life? You rarely see me liking anyone. And you know very well that I don't have any experience in this! Should I text him 'i love you'? Or might as well blurt it out while we're in the middle of talking about patients’ diet list?  The answer is no right? I don't know how to approach him to open this topic since he doesn't seem to expect any answer from me at the moment."

"Anyone would be dying to know that the person they love, loves them back too. He's just being gentleman to you, not pressuring you to reciprocate his feelings when you're not still sure yourself," Sungmin replied. "But you are. All these years, you care for him enough to not forget him when he disappeared for a long time."

"How do you know me so well?" Ryeowook looked down on his lap, playing the hem of his white coat with his fingers.

"Because you're my friend. And as your friend, I also want you to be happy like me. I am just returning the favour of helping me with my own love life before," he said. "Now quit being shy about it and start acting on your feelings. Okay?"

Ryeowook smiled faintly. "Okay."

And with that Sungmin left him to go over his office desk and answer the telephone that had been ringing for a minute. He placed his hand above his beating heart. He thought of the man that occupies his thoughts ever since he appeared into his life again.

 

 

 

Kyuhyun typed the passcode in order to open the doors to the Neuro ICU. Today will be another toxic day for him like the other days when he is summoned here or in the Medical ICU. He wasn't really stationed in ICU but a patient of his was probably transferred there.

"Good morning Dr. Park. I heard you're looking for me?" he greeted his fellow in the Department of Cardiology.

"Ah Dr. Cho, good morning too. It concerns about patient Kang. She's one of yours right? She was transferred here just an hour ago. Her seizures attacked her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter