station eighteen

Platform Eight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Station Eighteen

~ miles away ~

 

 

“Woah, you’re finally chosen this time Wook,” Sungmin said the following day while they were eating their lunch in the hospital’s cafeteria. “I’m happy for you,”

Ryeowook gave him a faint smile and looked down at his bowl of food. Ever since he received the news he was like this. Partly happy, partly worried. He had been waiting for this opportunity but it came in an unusual timing.

Sungmin noticed his friend’s gloomy mood and understood his situation. He also experienced it before when his girlfriend went volunteering somewhere. Of course who wants to be away with their loved one for so long?

“Did you tell him about it?”

Ryeowook shook his head not looking at him in the eyes. He played the food with his spoon.

“You should tell him about it already. Don’t tell me you’re not going – ”

“Shhhh. I’m going. This opportunity doesn’t come all the time,” Ryeowook defended but Sungmin gave him that tired look.

“I wasn’t talking about that. Of course you can’t say no to our chief,” Sungmin replied. He dropped his chopsticks first before looking at his friend seriously. “I’m thinking that you don’t have plans to tell this news to your boyfriend. Wook tell me I’m wrong.”

Ryeowook rolled his eyes. “You’re crazy. Of course I will tell him. I’m looking for the right timing,”

“Timing??? Wook you don’t have enough time! You’ll be leaving in less than a week from now,” Sungmin hissed.

“I know... I know Min. I will tell him in person. I don’t want to do it in text message so I’m waiting for his free time okay? He’s always busy though,” Ryeowook whined. Sungmin frowned because he can’t do anything to help his friend. “Let’s talk about something else can we? I don’t want to stress about it anymore.”

“Okay. Do you want to hear some good news?” Sungmin offered. The other nodded. “I’ve asked permission from her parents,”

Ryeowook’s eyes bulged. “What do you mean by that?”

Sungmin smiled but didn’t answer him directly. “And after that I started looking for apartments. I wanted for everything to be ready before I ask her.”

“Oh I’m so happy for you! If not for this volunteering stuff that I have to attend to I will help you find a good place. But thanks to it I’m spared from keeping a secret from her. Good luck with that Min,” Ryeowook smiled.

“It will be hard but if I’m lucky, by the time you come back I’ll be engaged,” Sungmin wished.

“You better be. I want to arrive to good news or we’re not friends anymore,” Ryeowook joked.

 

 

 

Kyuhyun massaged his neck not because he’s tired but due to annoyance. He just got news about his new schedule and it seems like he will be busier than usual. He will extend hours and more time will be spent for him inside the operating room since a number of his colleagues will be leaving for some time. It also means that it will be harder to meet Ryeowook this time except when they bump to each other while on duty.

"Good news for them, bad news to us," Changmin said he arrived in their office, his hand holding his schedule. "Somebody has to suffer whenever they do this and it's your first time to experience this Kyu," he pointed out.

"Tell me why these things happen to me? I only wanted to be a doctor. I feel fulfilled every time I see people thank me when I get them cured, when I save their loved one's lives. But this fulfillment comes with a price -- a sacrifice rather," Kyuhyun sighed and turned around his chair facing Changmin. "I've sacrified so much just to wear this white coat and stethoscope,"

Changmin nodded in understanding. He knew the struggle,  everyone like them knows it. It is not easy to choose to work even though you're feeling down or unwell. It takes a lot of effort to smile in front of your patients though you've been working more than 12 hours on duty. It takes a lot of positive thinking to not dwell on the family and personal events you're missing.

"Don't be so sad about this Kyu. Think of it as a bonding for us two," he cheered his friend.

Kyuhyun frowned. "Bonding? Us two? Where? Inside the OR?"

Changmin flashed a silly smile. Kyuhyun grabbed one notebook lying on his desk and threw it at him. Changmin dodged it with his hand and threw it back.

"You're so funny hahahaha," Kyuhyun said jokingly.

"That's why ladies love me," Changmin winked. Suddenly his phone rang and it was Hana calling. He looked at Kyuhyun before answering it.

"Hello?"

"Hi Changmin! Have you arrived?"

"Oh you can't fool me. I know that it's not me you want to know about,"

"I'm just asking about you sunbae. Why are you so grumpy?"

"I'm busy. What's your REAL reason for calling me during your duty?" he emphasized the word while Kyuhyun frowned looking at him.

"Well, for your information, I'm taking a lunch break. How about you? Have you eaten yet sunbae?"

"I'm done with lunch,"

"How about Kyu? Is he there?"

Changmin held the phone away from his face and mouthed to Kyuhyun 'she's asking about you'. Kyuhyun panicked and whispered to his friend. "Tell her that I'm not here. Just hang up on her and don't tell where I am going," as he said that Kyuhyun stood and quickly grabbed his clipboard and files to start his rounds.

"Be careful, you might see her on your way out," Changmin warned as his friend ran out of the office. He chuckled knowing that he have to deal with his crazy hoobae in a few minutes.

 

Kyuhyun carefully looked around in case he bumps to Hana. He only got to breathe in relief when he was inside the elevator going upstairs to the private wards. That’s the safest place for him for now. He also didn’t forget to message Changmin to update him where she will go after her trip to their office.

As the elevator doors opened he walked out and saw Ryeowook absentmindedly walking on the hallway. His lover was st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter