D-100

100 Days

You were awoken by the sharp pain that surged through your head as you ed your blankets off of yourself. The unfamiliar setting around you alarmed you at once, but as you clutched your aching head, you remembered last night’s incident and let out a little sigh before pulling the blankets back over your head.

"100 days. That's all you get," the strange man from last night's memories said once more as you replayed the scene in your head. The room was darkly lit as the man swiveled in his chair behind his desk, his back facing you. The air around you grew tense as the man tapped his pencil on the arm of his chair. You impatiently bit your lips, wiping the sweat off of your nervous palms.

"How much will it cost?"

"Dear, how about we talk about expenses after you have actually survived those 100 days".

"...What happens if I don't survive?"

The strange man turned around for the first time, exposing his face as he put on a smile that sent chills down the back of your spine. Leaning across the desk, he motioned you to come closer.

"Survival of the fittest. Kill to survive, survive to kill.”

 

And with that, the man chuckled mockingly, leaning back into his chair.

 

“If you would like first hand experience, I am not holding you back, but I wouldn't recommend it".

 

You couldn’t help but gulp in fear at the thought of leaving, but you knew it was your only choice.

"Okay, kid. You leave tonight, and remember 100 days on Earth are not quite as simple as they sound".

You woke up again with the beads of sweat dripping down your face. You quickly ran to the bathroom, splashing the cold water onto your burning face. Finally being able to breathe, you let out a sigh as you slowly sat down, resting your back against the sink. That was the only thing you could remember of your past, that you were not a part of this world, and for some reason, was sent to this place for 100 days without knowing why.

With a deep breath, you decide to take a look at your surroundings, hopefully to get a glimpse of what you were up for.

The apartment was small as you would have expected. The wallpaper reached the ground at some places and the furniture reeked of rust and mold, making it seem like centuries since some of the appliances were actually put into work. There was only one bedroom, big enough to fit a small bed and a desk, one small kitchen with a dining table, a bathroom, and a living room that miracously fit a small couch on one of it's walls.

You plopped down onto the couch only to be met with dust as it filled your lungs accompanied with your desperate coughs. As your vision cleared, you squinted to see a small piece of paper taped to the other side of the room. In dark red marker, the plain white paper was marked with the numbers 1 through 100. You guessed that it was counting down your days until you were to return back to Heaven. A warning, not a friendly reminder.

Something told you that something was wrong.

There had to be.

Why else would you be stuck here, leaving paradise to come to hell?

You shivered at the thought as you let out a deep sigh.

 

"Maybe I'm just over thinking things".

"Maybe you are just over thinking things".