CHAPTER THREE

THE UNFORCED BUT UNFORESEEN MARRIAGE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

CHAPTER THREE

 

 

 

-+- DARA -+-

 

 

 

 

 

The moment, the car stopped, I was relieved and thankful but at the same time, I feel anxious. But compared to the nights I've spent eating with Hae on our rectangle dining table at home, I feel less anxious. At least here, we are not alone. We will be sitting side by side with another couple, family or someone else. I could have a normal life even for a while. I could do what normal people do. I inhaled deeply as I wait for Mr. Kim to open the door for me, totally aware that Hae went out of the car already.

 

 

I tightly gripped on the strap of my bag, hoping to hide my fidgety hands. It took a while before Mr. Kim opened the door and to my surprise it was Hae who was holding it. I tensed immediately seeing him wait for me. I slowly went out of the car, trying to be careful not to make a fool of myself especially now that I am feeling squirmy.

 

 

Feeling uneasy that he opened the door and was waiting for me, I bumped my knee on the door which made me gasp in a low voice. "Ow."

 

 

"Are you okay?" He asked me, the question was supposed to have a worry tone on it but when I looked at him, that worry is nowhere to be found.

 

 

I bit my lower lip in a haste and release it. Embarrassed and a bit hurt, I forced myself to answer.  "Nae. I'm okay."

 

 

Thinking it's over I put out my other foot, but to my surprise, he quickly knelt in front of me and examined my bumped knee. "It's not going to bruise." He said as he gently traced it with his thumb. He stood up and offered me his hand.

 

 

When I have completely stood up, I released his hand, but he firmly held it. "Let me support you just until we've reached our table."

 

 

"N-nae." I quickly lowered my face as I know I'm blushing right now.

 

 

To my dismay, Hae has reserved a meeting room, which can basically fit around 10 people. It's like our house over again. The deafening silence, just the clinking and clanking of the silverwares over the ceramic plates, two people eating, unable to talk. I sighed and realized it was louder than I opt it to be.

 

 

"Don't you like the place?" He released my hand and walked towards a chair and pulled it.

 

 

"It's okay." I answered him and went towards the chair that he pulled for me.

 

 

"I hate crowded places." He answered simply.

 

 

I can't find the words to answer his statement. I don't know if I should say 'Oh', 'Okay', 'I understand', because whatever I answer, would it even matter? I slowly nodded my head and fixed my eyes on the menu.

 

 

I felt someone entered the room and Hae suddenly broke the silence. "Is there anything else you want other than Tapas?"

 

 

I nodded. "Can we get some Sangria?" I quickly observed his expression when it didn't change. "If that's fine with you. Unless, you don't like it." It's not every day that we go out and I really like the drink.

 

 

"Can we have a serving of Sangria?" He asked the waitress, who quickly blushed when Hae looked at her firmly. She quickly nodded. I was both happy and annoyed at the same time. Happy that Sangria was approved and annoyed that the waitress couldn't even contain her behavior in front of a customer. A customer who is married and whose wife is sitting in front of him nonetheless.

 

 

"And we will have a serving of the mixed Tapas and gazpacho for starters, a plate of seafood paella and pulpo a la gallega for the main course and a dessert that the young lady will choose." He added then he closed the menu on his hand and gave it to the waitress. Then he looked at me and waited for me to answer.

 

 

"N-no wine Sir?" The waitress asked.

 

 

"Sangria will be fine. Dara." He answered the waitress but his eyes were on me.

 

 

I quickly turned the pages of the menu. To be honest I was really surprised, what he ordered are already the food that I have chosen mentally. "Two servings of Leche Frita then." I answered and gave the menu back to the waitress.

 

 

"Make that one serving and add a serving of Miguelitos." He told the waitress but he was looking at me. "You were fond of Miguelitos before." He answered me without me questioning his preferences.

 

 

"O-oh.." I answered, not really sure what Miguelitos are. I might have had it before, but I can't remember. I was moving my glass of water as I tried to remember what Miguelitos are.

 

 

"You don't remember." He snapped me out of my deep thoughts. I bit my lower lip, even I tried harder to remember it, I can't seem to find the memory of it. "Appa asked me to buy you a box of Miguelitos from a famous Spanish restaurant before. I think that was the first time we've met. The first time I went to your house after Appa transferred to Busan University. I still remember the look on your face when I hand it to you. You quickly took it and went to the kitchen. We were talking in the living room when you asked Appa  wh--"

 

 

"What do you call those yummy domino-looking food?" I remembered and I lifted my gaze to Hae, his face is devoid of emotions, but I can see that he is looking kindly at me, or his eyes say so. He nodded at me. "Yeah. I remember now." I smiled and stared on my empty plate. "It's a wonder how you can remember those simple things, I-I... I have trouble remembering things... I-it's just, it still hurts. It still hurts to remember." I answered him.

 

 

I saw his index finger and thumb gripped the table napkin in between from the side of my eyes, his hand is trembling. The tension, although he is trying to hide it was lingering in the air that surrounds us. "I remember everything."

 

 

I nodded. "I know. You remember everything that Appa told you." I smiled, but rather than a happy smile, it was a sad one.  

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

I sat up and stretched my arms above my head. As I look at the ceiling, I took a deep breath and decided to watch the stars outside my balcony. I moved my legs and feel the carpeted floor against my bare toes. Suddenly I felt lonely. I wasn't the one who feel lonely. This rarely happens to me, since I was young, I was already used to being alone. Not that there are no people who cares about me, because I know deep in my heart, although my mom left us early, I was surrounded by people who loves me.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter