Chapter 3

Love Is Not All Like That

Jessica had difficulty sleeping that night. Those iridescent blue eyes shone at her through the darkness; it haunted her and kept her up thinking of it. Her mind wandered, and she began to have hallucinations. She saw shadows outside her window, which was impossible, knowing that she was on the second floor. The trees outside swayed in the wind and the leaves rustled loudly. Jessica was afraid; she could feel someone watching her. Pulling the blanket closer to her, she closed her eyes and forced herself to sleep, ignoring what sounded like raking on her closed windows. She woke up slightly later than usual that morning and after a rushed breakfast and a shower, she left her dorm for school. She didn’t see Sooyoung at all that morning until her first class, where she found Sooyoung smiling at her, already seated at his usual seat.

“Hello,” he grinned, but there was something wrong with it; his eyes were lighter than usual. It reminded Jessica of cat’s eyes.

“Hi,” Jessica greeted him a little breathlessly.

Jessica realised that his eyes were still off. They weren’t the eerie blue they were earlier but they were a few tints lighter than their usual brown. When they were a dark brown yesterday morning, they were more of a shade of honey this morning. They would have been beautiful if they weren’t so frightening.

“Hey, Sooyoung, I need to ask you something later,” Jessica said as she resumed her previous position and lowered her head on her folded arms for a nap.

“What about?” Sooyoung wasn’t looking at her and was just jotting down notes from the blackboard.

“Hmm…later,” Jessica nuzzled her arm and began to catch up on the sleep she had lost last night.

As soon as the bell rang, Sooyoung tried to escape by slipping out of the classroom fast, but Jessica caught him by the wrist and pulled him into a corner where no one was watching. Jessica had been partially awake during class, and noticed that Sooyoung was extremely fidgety and restless throughout the lesson. She yearned to know why and she wanted to clear up doubts about last night.

“Last night, Sooyoung, don’t you remember anything?” Jessica began, looking up at the Sooyoung who seemed to be in pain.

He wore a pained expression and his voice was strained. “Of course, I saw you at the basketball court yesterday. I had errands to run yesterday.”

“Your eyes were blue,” Jessica spat it out, not able to keep it in any longer.

Sooyoung barked out a laugh, which died away immediately under Jessica’s angry glare. His face smoothed out into a blank expression and he stared at Jessica.

“My eyes are brown,” Sooyoung corrected slowly, widening his eyes for Jessica to see.

“I knew that,” she snapped impatiently. “They were blue yesterday.”

“My eyes are brown,” Sooyoung repeated. “I apologise if I said anything yesterday night. I was not in the right mind.”

“Why not?”

Sooyoung shrugged before heading off to his next class. “I was hungry.”

He left Jessica staring after him, confused and dumbfounded. Hungry? What does that mean?

~~

Throughout the entire period, Jessica had been observing Sooyoung through the corner of her eye, watching him closely for any signs of unusual behaviour. He was as fidgety as before, his pen constantly tapping on the desk as he stared at the clock. He was shaking his legs, and crossed and un-crossed them repeatedly. Just watching him made Jessica impossibly annoyed, but she kept her façade for the rest of the period. Sooyoung’s eyes were darkening, she realised. The irises seemed to be shifting somehow, and his eyes became a shade of melting caramel. Jessica blinked at the speedy transition and that attracted Sooyoung’s attention. He turned to look at her, but quickly averted his eyes when he realised that his eyes had changed. He scribbled something on a loose piece of paper from his notebook and passed it discreetly to her. Jessica hesitantly accepted the piece of paper and unfolded it out carefully.

What are you looking at?

Jessica wanted to chuckle at his choice of words. He sounded so much like an insecure little boy who was the joke of many. She began to write, in her orange pen, on the paper.

Nothing.

He squinted at the bright ink of her pen, and Jessica took this time to notice the continuous changes in his irises. They darkened considerably, and he bowed his head again, shielding them from Jessica. She wanted to ask Sooyoung about his strange eyes again, but something held her back. She was sure that by pressing on Sooyoung, that would get nothing out of him. So, instead, she devised a plan in her head. She was to follow Sooyoung after school and see where he went. She would have to lie to Yuri about it, of course, for that would spark jealousy in that big, bulky boy and Jessica didn’t want to see what would happen to Sooyoung if he were to find out. Jessica felt like a stalker, but she shook the feeling off, thinking that her curiosity was worth satisfying. Her anxiety grew as time began to tick towards the end of school. She became almost as fidgety as Sooyoung had been. As darkness befell the day, she snuck around, following Sooyoung. What will I find?

 

Readers’ Note:

Jessica is being a stalker now. -.- Hey, don’t blame me, blame her curiosity. I’ll reveal more later in the story. And no, they are NOT vampires. I find the GIF super cute, don’t you think so? SooSica FTW!

Thanks for reading!

Yours Faithfully
Jazzign