Chapter 12

Love Is Not All Like That

A Few Hours Ago

Taeyeon sat on the ledge of the rooftop, staring at the bright lights underneath him. He scanned the faces of the passers-by below, his gaze darting back and forth as he picked his next target. Despite being a good distance away from the ground level, he could see the details of each of their faces clearly. He could catch every moment, hear every word being said and smell every scent that wafted by the busy streets. He frowned, smiling devilishly to himself as he zeroed in on the young girl who was hugging herself, scampering down the road. The cold winter didn’t faze him at all, and he was merely dressed in a black shirt with a leather jacket that had been with him through thick and thin. His gloved hands trembled slightly, in anticipation and excitement as he followed the girl, jumping from roof to roof to catch up. As soon as she was far enough from the streets, and alone, Taeyeon made his move, landing on the balls of his feet soundlessly behind the girl. The girl was dressed in a simple brown coat, which was buttoned up all the way as she hugged her books gathered at her chest.

She seemed to hear the gentle swishing of the air as Taeyeon landed, and whirled around. Taeyeon grabbed her by her waist, pulling her closer to him as he bit down onto her left shoulder, eliciting screams from the young girl. Her books fell to the floor, clattering all over the smooth concrete. His teeth tore through the cloth as if it wasn’t there. While Sooyoung liked to feast on the meat of the dead and animals, he preferred his fresh. His eyes diluted as he tasted the soft flesh and the sweet blood flowing through the wound. He breathed heavily, enjoying the girl’s flesh slowly, agonisingly. As he pulled back to sink his teeth on the girl’s neck, this time to kill, something caught his sharp eyes. Her eyes…Taeyeon found himself staring in those intense brown eyes that had nothing but pain in them. The fresh wound on her shoulder welled blood, and it would have driven him insane at the smell of it, but he wasn’t in the need of blood. Instead, he felt bloated and full from feeding continuously for the past few months.

“Please, don’t,” the girl whimpered, her hand reaching up to clutch at her bleeding shoulder. “Please, don’t hurt me.”

“Of course not, sweetie. I won’t hurt you,” Taeyeon leaned in to graze at her ear, and she shivered at his cold breath. “But…I can’t help myself, sweetheart. I can’t let you go just like this.”

Taeyeon’s seemingly gentle, gloved hands went to cup her cheeks, and with one fluid motion, he snapped her neck. He watched as she fell to the floor before him, lifeless. He wiped at his bloody mouth with his sleeve.

“Redemption?” he muttered darkly. “Forget Redemption. I’m as damned as Hell.”

~~

Sooyoung was tense, his wound up muscles bunched up as his eyes flashed blue. Jessica was afraid, but felt her fears go away when Sooyoung wrapped his arms around her defensively.

“Sooyoung?” she whispered softly, not daring to move from his arms.

He didn’t reply, and only turned his back to the window, his face in her hair and his strong, firm arms wound around her shoulders. She winced as his arms brushed against the wound at her neck. In that moment of confusion, she held on to his arms, closing her eyes as she heard glass breaking and shattering all over the floor. Some of the glass shards, pricked at her legs, tearing at the skin as blood began to seep out of her cuts. She felt Sooyoung stiffen as the blood trickled down her legs. She looked up into Sooyoung’s frenzied eyes.

“We need to get out of here,” Sooyoung snarled and in a flash, she found herself at the rooftop of an unknown building. But upon closer examination, she realised that—

“Are we on the school roof?” Jessica asked quietly, and Sooyoung simply nodded in reply.

“We’re safe…for now,” Sooyoung intoned gravely.

He released her of his embrace and went to sit on the ledge, burying his face in his hands. Jessica was disappointed, and longed for those arms around her again. Slowly, she approached him and realised that he was mumbling something. There were bloodstains on his back where the glass shards had penetrated his skin and into his flesh, but he hardly seemed to feel it in his moment of deliriousness.

“Oh, no,” he groaned to himself.

“Hey you’re bleeding,” Jessica touched his shoulder gently.

He didn’t move. “So are you.”

Tentatively, he looked up at the concerned Jessica. He took off his shirt and used it as a cloth to wipe the blood on her legs. Jessica froze, her eyes widening at the sight of his perfect torso. Well, it would have been perfect if not for the pain-relief patch on his ribs. With the gentlest of touch, Jessica’s fingers caressed the white bandage carefully.

She looked up at him. “What happened there?”

“Ask your boyfriend,” he answered shortly, and seated her down with her back against the ledge.

Crouching down, he began to gently pull out the shards of glass that were embedded in her flesh. She winced and grabbed the ledge above her head for support. He pulled out his wallet, and dug around before producing a few plasters from them. Jessica observed Sooyoung as he treated her wounds, carefully flattening the plaster over her cuts.

“So what happened back there? What was that?” Jessica noted that Sooyoung was quiet for some time.

“My brother.”

 

Readers’ Note:

So, by now, you can already guess who Sooyoung’s brother is. And don’t worry, the girl Tae killed wasn’t Tiffany. It’ll get there soon enough, though. How as it? I hope that wasn’t too graphic cause I’d hate to make this fic rated. People’ll get the wrong idea. Byuns~…not like I’m not myself, but still…

Thank you for reading!

Yours Faithfully
Jazzign