Chapter 13

Love Is Not All Like That

“Hi, I’m Taeyeon!” Taeyeon smiled warmly to the brunette seated on the second row of the classroom.

Girls glared at the girl enviously, but Taeyeon couldn’t care less about them. In his eyes, he was only looking at the girl before him who was shifting uncomfortably under the glare of her classmates. Behind those thick-rimmed glasses, he saw those beautiful eyes that expressed a million emotions as easily as how he would sit and admire her face for years. Silently, he thanked God for bringing him to her. The girl stared at Taeyeon, aware that he was nothing like her.

“I—I’m Mi Young,” she smiled shyly, but it faded quickly as she heard the snorts of other girls.

Taeyeon took his seat next to her, sneaking glances at her now and then. Ironically, despite being the angel himself, he could have described Mi Young as an angel next to him. He observed her as she pushed those spectacles up her the bridge of her nose and how she wrinkled her nose when she was concentrating. Even when frowning, he thought her to be lovely.

~~

“Let’s teach this little brat a lesson,” one of the girls cracked her knuckles, smiling at her cowering victim menacingly.

The group began to close in on the trembling girl on the floor. She was hugging her knees, tears in those beautiful brown eyes as she mentally prayed for help. Like an angel sent just for her, Taeyeon burst through the doors of the deserted toilet. At the sight of the most popular guy in school, the girls backed away. Taeyeon’s eyes shone blue and some of the girls yelped in fear.

“What—what are you doing here?” the leader stammered. “This—this is a g—girl’s toilet!”

Taeyeon ignored them, staring directly into the leader’s eyes. She gasped in shock and almost fell over her teammates. Frantically, she lifted a finger in Taeyeon’s face.

“Your—your eyes! Kim Taeyeon, what are you?”

Rushing over to Mi Young’s side, he slipped his arm under her legs and carried her, their words being drowned out by Mi Young’s terrified whimpers. He held her closer to him and brought her away from the girls. But before that, Taeyeon had just thought of something to say to their faces.

“If you hurt her again, my eyes will be the last thing you will ever see,” he threatened, and they hid behind one another in horror.

~~

Taeyeon sighed, staring the full moon. It was a habit that he and his brother shared. Watching the full and grey moon reminded him of Mi Young, and the memories they shared. He had sworn to protect her, but he failed in the end. And somehow, my brother could get away without his deserved punishment. What is his punishment compared to mine? After all, I saw his new ‘project’. Maybe I should give him some of my own punishment. But that girl he was with…she looked exactly like Soo-Yeon. Is that even possible?

“What should I do now?” he sighed once more, the necklace around his neck. “Seeing her face, even if it isn’t Soo-Yeon, reminds me of you. And now two things remind me of you.”

Taeyeon lifted his face to the moon, and basked himself in its splendour. Taeyeon felt the soft kisses on his face where the light of the moon touched him, and felt soft hands in his rough, calloused ones where he gripped his necklace. He could feel warm breath, and her nose skimming down his neck. Suddenly, he was taken back, back to when Mi Young was in his embrace. He had ruthlessly torn her out of his heart ever since her death, and only at the full moon had he been able to feel her love pulsing in him again. It felt like clockwork to him, but it was something that he had gotten used to.

“If Soo-Yeon is reincarnated, shouldn’t you be too?” Taeyeon questioned the moon, eyes still closed at the gentle touch of his lover.

“I’m right here, only here,” he heard her whisper in his ears. “With you.”

That familiar voice brought a smile to his lips and he opened his eyes slowly, hoping and wishing to see Mi Young’s brown eyes staring back at him. As he opened them, he smiled sadly, only seeing the full moon hovering above the cruel Earth. He had been in this position countless times. He would feel her touch, her kisses, and hear her voice, but that was as far as it got. Mi Young’s face could only be imprinted in his memory.

“So goodbye, don’t cry and smile,” Taeyeon heard the melodious voice singing softly in his ears. “Because it’s for you, I will forget the times that have been hard. So goodbye, to me, who has been alone in the darkness. I need you, I need your love again.”

The song ended and rang with finality. It was her usual sign of departure. She would sing that song softly in his ear before fading away, and so did her touch, her voice. Taeyeon had begged for her to stay longer, but it seemed like she wouldn’t listen, and he was left facing the empty moon that held no significance to him anymore. His guard will go up after his nostalgic meeting, and those barriers that had been missing during his meeting will defend that part of him once more. His shielded eyes will be more careful with what they turn into and his held tongue will be more wary of what he says.

“So goodbye, don’t cry, and smile. I send away all the times in which my heart has been cold. So goodbye, to me, who has been alone in the darkness. I need you, I need your love again,” he sang softly to the moon.

 

Readers’ Note:

Aww…so Taeyeon does have a heart. He’s just afraid to let it show. Sooyoung and Taeyeon are really similar in this sense. They watch the moon and have necklaces as a keepsake of their past lovers. Sigh…sad. To those TaeNy shippers, here’s a short TaeNy chapter. There will be more to come. Patience, my readers! The next few chapters will be concentrating more of TaeNy. I don’t know why, but every time I think about Taeyeon and Mi Young’s past, I think about ‘So Goodbye’ by Shinee’s Jonghyun. It’s a really nice song. Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzUsBUoaMNo

Thank you for reading!

Yours Faithfully
Jazzign