Chapter 20

Love Is Not All Like That

Sooyoung was by Jessica’s side. He didn’t dare to sit on her bed for fear of waking her up and so he stood, dripping wet, as he watched her in her sleep. She mumbled something incoherent and sighed. Sooyoung enjoyed being in the rain. The feeling of the raindrops on rolling off his skin was magnificent, and it became tears for him as he was unable to produce any himself. Because he was a monster, because he could not cry and love. He had snuck in when everyone else was asleep. Taeyeon’s words rang in his mind, echoing repeatedly. A part of him wanted to deny what Taeyeon had said, but the other knew that it wasn’t the truth. Did he really want Jessica for who she was or did he really want her for someone else? His canines lengthened and his gums throbbed as he saw the bandage on her arm. He could see the patch of bright red blood on it, but held back.

“Soo-Yeon, please stop me,” Sooyoung whispered as he left.

~~

Sooyoung found himself lying on the field, watching the dark skies as rain pelted mercilessly down on him. He closed his eyes and imagined, imagined Soo-Yeon with him. At least he could still imagine; it was the closest he had ever gotten to dreaming. His subconscious flowed, taking the shape of the beautiful girl. Soo-Yeon caressed his face and planted soft kisses all over his face. He wanted to cry, but his tears would not flow, his eyes were dry. As thunder rumbled and lightning crackled, he could shut his eyes in the searing pain of a love once lost. The pain will pass, but the loss is forever.

“Why did you do this to me, Soo-Yeon?” Sooyoung’s voice cracked as his control slipped.

“I’m sorry, Sooyoungie,” her whisper resounded in his head and the sweet familiarity of her voice tore his heart into even smaller pieces. “I didn’t mean to leave you like that.”

Sooyoung remained silent, trying to feel only her sweet kisses, her gentle touch and her melodious voice. He felt something warm on his chest, and a pair of arms wrap around him. He opened his eyes slowly, shielding his eyes from the rain and saw the beautiful girl in his embrace. She had hair of the lightest shade of brown, unlike Jessica’s blonde hair. Her eyes were a honey brown and they were afraid, some unknown fear in them that Sooyoung could never banish. She had delicate features, with high cheekbones and soft, milky skin. The rain fell through her as if she was not there and the cold had no effect on her. She smiled at him and laid her head on his chest. They stayed that way for a long time.

~~

Jessica woke up to an empty space next to her and a vacant floor. Her fever had passed, but the pounding in her head still remained. It was still dark outside and the rain was falling. She saw some small droplets of water on the tiling of her room and frowned. She sat upright in bed, ignoring the flash of pain from her wound and looked around the dark room, hoping to see the tall boy. But he was nowhere to be seen. Disappointed, she fished out her phone, dialling his number, but only felt a vibration on her bedside table. Sooyoung had left his phone at her place. Just go to sleep, Jessica, everything will be better in the morning. Jessica hugged her blanket closer to her body and fell asleep within seconds. It was the gift of the sleepy-headed girl who was fond of hibernating in class.

“Wake up, Jessica,” Tiffany was shaking the sleeping girl by her shoulders gently, mindful of the bandage on her arm.

Jessica groaned and had to be shaken a few more times before her eyes fluttered open and glared at Tiffany.

“Why? What did you do?” Jessica snapped.

“Me?” Tiffany’s eyes were wide with innocence. “I didn’t do anything! Now, would you please wake up? You’ve been in bed since forever!”

“Where’s Sooyoung?” Jessica didn’t bother to move.

“I don’t know, Jess. Wasn’t he with you? I didn’t see him since last night.”

“Last night? Oh right, where did you go now? Were you with ‘that guy’?” Jessica continued to glare at Tiffany unwaveringly.

“No! I…I went to the library,” Tiffany lied, unconvincingly again.

“Don’t tell me that crap, that late at night?” Jessica’s voice was venom in itself and Tiffany found herself staring at the floor, something she had always been subjected to under Jessica’s glare.

“Okay, fine. I couldn’t sleep, so I wandered around. I was just walking around the streets,” Tiffany hid her face.

“Hah…I find that hard to believe. So you were with ‘that guy’?”

“No, I couldn’t find him,” Tiffany admitted bashfully.

“So you were looking for that guy!”

“Okay, fine! Maybe I was! And you would please tell me why Sooyoung brought you in, dripping wet, and had me change your clothes in the middle of the night when you were supposedly supposed to come back from Yuri’s place?” Tiffany had to take a deep breath after her long dialogue.

Jessica’s heart stung at the mention of Yuri’s name. “I saw him with someone. He was making out with her when I walked in on them.”

Tiffany’s expression softened immediately and she enveloped Jessica into a tight embrace. “Oh, I’m sorry, Jessica.”

“No, it’s okay. I never should have trusted that bastard anyway.”

“Does Sooyoung know about this?”Tiffany tidied up the misplaced hair on Jessica’s face.

Jessica shook her head. “I caught a fever. So I stayed in all day.”

“Yeah, I kind of knew that.”

Jessica was furious. “And you forced me to wake up this morning?”

“Hey, don’t take it on me! I was expecting your Sooyoung to do it for you or something. I walked in expecting some cuddling session or something.”

Jessica sighed and rubbed her face tiredly despite hours of sleep. “I don’t know where Sooyoung is right now. He left while I was still asleep. I tried calling him, but he left his phone here.”

Tiffany patted Jessica’s back reassuringly. “Don’t worry, you’ll find him. I’m sure he left to change his clothes or something. He’ll be back. If he’s not, you can always see him in school.”

Jessica made a face as she recalled his tendency to skip school. “That is, if he comes to school at all.”

 

Readers’ Note:

Some drama here for the conflicted Sooyoung! SooSic is going to take the deep patch here.  They’ll be some tension and probably a fight that will lead into something more. Sooyoung and Jessica doesn’t know that ‘that guy’ Tiffany is seeing is actually Taeyeon, Sooyoung’s brother. That’ll happen some time in the future. I’ll be sure to add some TaeNy on the way. Look forward to it.

Thank you for reading!

Yours Faithfully
Jazzign