Chapter 7

Keep Me Safe

The next morning, Autumn woke up with new determination. She can’t change what has already happened but she can change what has yet to happen. She may not have been born royal, but she can sure learn how to. Blake had dropped by earlier with a letter from her brother. Just hearing from her brother and hearing that her parents were well gave her an extra boost. She got ready for the day quickly and headed to the library with Hurricane following some way behind.

She went and found some books that she thought would be helpful before settling down by a table by the corner and got down to business, trying to build her knowledge about the royal history and maybe learn more about the correct etiquette. But after an hour, she realized that the way she was going nowhere. She sighed loudly as she flipped over another page about how the courts were developed, which explained in way too much detail for her to fully comprehend. All students in all the courts are taught about how the courts was formed, but this book that she was reading had so much information that was never thought in school. It was intriguing but confusing to separate what she had learned in school and what she was reading. She closed the book, taking a small break.

“I don’t know what I’m doing!” She exclaims as she grabs another book when she noticed Hurricane standing by the wall.

“Would you like to sit?” She asks, his legs must be tired.

“I don’t think that it’s appropriate.” He says softly.

“come sit!” she says, and when she sees him hesitate, she adds. “And help me understand this!” pointing to the book. To her surprise, he sits down without a word and starts explaining.

After a half an hour, they covered the same amount of work that she had been struggling in half the time.

“How do you know so much?” Autumn asks.

This question seems to take him by surprise, but the surprise is quickly covered by his expressionless mask once again. “I’ve just been around here for a long time.”

Autumn nods, remembering what he told her about his sister. The two fall back into the books in front of them, sitting next to each other, head bent together.

For the next couple of days, Autumn went to the library religiously, with the help of Hurricane, she learned a lot about the royal family, but more importantly she learned a lot more about Hurricane, he did not particularly like reading the books, however he was able to tell her everything in the book without looking at it much, it was almost like he knew all this information from the moment he was born. She also saw a different side of him, especially referring to his home, Wind Court.

He was busy explaining the resources that Wind court provided when he smiled fully, surprising Autumn. She unconsciously reached out her hand, causing Hurricane to jump, covering his mouth, equally surprised. The two avoided each other’s eyes, too embarrassed to face each other. Autumn was surprised by her own actions, she found herself completely fascinated by her guard, she wanted to find out more about him, it was so difficult to find the opportunity, one moment it was there and the next it would disappear like the wind. The two of them didn’t realize that they were alone until a cough caught their attention. They turned towards the door, and saw Blaze standing in the doorway.

“What are you two been doing?”

“Hurricane, is just explaining things to me.” Autumn explains pointing at the book.

“Can I join?” Blaze asks.

“Sure.” Autumn says pulling out the chair next to her, but Blaze brings another chair from a neighboring table, and settles himself between Autumn and Hurricane. Autumn looked a little surprised, but Hurricane seemed unfazed by it (it was difficult to tell from his expression.) and he continued with history.

They weren’t even ten minutes in when Blaze started to get restless, and it was another ten minutes later when he finally interrupted Hurricane.

“Don’t you guys want to take a break?” He exclaimed stretching his arms out.

“You can go do something else if you’re bored.” Autumn says laughing, Blaze was never the type to keep still in class, so it didn’t surprise Autumn that he couldn’t sit still now.

“Don’t you want to go do something fun?” Blaze says, trying to convince them.

“Blaze, whenever you want to do something ‘fun’, it always ends up with is being scolded…” Autumn reminds him, “You can go, but I’m staying here for now.”

“Fine.” Blaze sulks as he gets up, but he pauses and leans back down towards Autumn, “Don’t forget about me ok?” He whispers “don’t you want to spend time with your best friend anymore?”

“Oh fine, Let’s go!” Autumn says giving up.

The three make their way down the hall, with Blaze and Autumn in front and Hurricane following behind.

Blaze takes her arm, getting her attention, “I was serious you know… you spend so much time with him… he’s always there…” Blaze complain sneaking a look back at Hurricane. “If I didn’t know any better I’d say you like him…”

Autumn stays silent, but her blush gives her away, causing Blaze’s heart to sink, but Autumn brushes it off. “He’s just helping me…”

Blaze had known Autumn for far too long; if she couldn’t tell her own feeling, he always could tell. Blaze been with Autumn since he could remember. Their family were next door neighbors until last year when Blaze had to move closer to his job, but they still kept in regular contact. They literally grew up together, he has celebrated her best moments and comforted her at her worst, and she had been there for him too. It was so natural to be together, both their family’s assumed that they would one day get married and have children together, until the day Autumn was chosen. Blaze had been away for work that week but when he heard that Autumn had been chosen he took leave so that he could come back. That day, Blaze’s dream disappeared, he had always known that she did not hold any feeling beyond friendship for him, but he thought that she would eventually come around. But fate didn’t allow him time.

Blaze glanced at Autumn who was looking back at the figure behind them. As much as she would like to deny it, Blaze knew that somewhere inside Autumn, she knew that the feeling she held for her guard, was not one of friendship but something more.