Chapter 4

Keep Me Safe

Autumn walks faster, almost jogging down the hallways.

“Do you seriously have to follow me everywhere?” She says angrily.

“It’s my job.” The tall male says keeping up without even breaking a sweat even though he was dresses in a sharp black suit that all the other guards wore.

Autumn groans, pushing open a door that leads outside, her heal sinks slightly into the green lawn. Hurricane has been following her around all day, annoying the daylight out of her.

“I am perfectly capable to looking after myself.” She retorts, spinning around to face the neutral faced man, when her head whacks straight into a long hanging branch of a tree, the leaves shake littering little orange leaves into her hair. Hurricane immediately steps forward, steadying her. He doesn’t say anything or react, but there was a look of ‘I told you so’ dancing amusedly in his eyes as Autumn pushes away his arm. She walks off ignoring the steady steps following her, she wanders around the garden, turning this way and that with no clear pattern, and she eventually finds a stone bench nestled behind a hedge and sits down, marveling at the garden around her. She spots the male standing a short distance away. She sighs to herself, “Sit.” She says. The male doesn’t move, his eyes thinking, but only for a second before he walks over and sit down next to her leaving a wide space between them. She smiles triumphantly. They sit in silence listening to the sounds that surround them, the birds chirping, the leave rustling, and far off the chatter of some maids.

“I have never seen something like this.” She says referring to the well kept garden. “The closest thing would be my friend’s pot plants.”

“The second prince plants cactuses.” Hurricane says taking Autumn by surprise; she smiles a little, glad for the conversation.

“How long have you been here?” Autumn blurts out in a sudden burst of bravery.

He looked slightly taken aback by the question, but keeps his face neutral, “About half a decade.”

Autumn nods, she just arrived yet she wants to go back already, she can’t imagine being so far from home for so long. A touch on her head startles her, she look at the source. Hurricane looked shocked, his hand still half outstretched, an orange leaf between his fingers. Autumn looks just as shocked, almost forgetting that Hurricane was actually capable of expressions. Hurricane looked away, embarrassed as a pale tinge of pink flushes on his cheek. “There was a leaf.” He says even though both of them already knew that. It was Autumn turn to blush, she found his actions enduring and she didn’t understand why.

Autumn gets up and slowly they walk back to the castle, she walks slowly, giving up on trying to shake him off, not that her pace ever bothered her.

“Hurricane is so long to say.” Autumn says more to herself, but his eyes dart to her wearily, “How about a nickname?” Autumn says looking up catching his gaze.

“If that is what you want.” Came his reply.

“Hurricane… “She says softly, “Hurri?” She frowns, maybe not. “Cane… as in Cain? Not bad but...” and then Autumn claps her hands together gleefully, “RIRI!” Hurricane pales at the name, but says nothing. Autumn laughs, “I’m just joking, it’s too ridiculous.” The male visibly relaxes much to her amusement.

“How about Hun?” Autumn says randomly.

Hurricane stiffens; he faces her, his eyes weary, “Why?”

Autumn thinks about it, “The Hu from Hurricane… and the n from the… Ne?” She says, making up a random reason.

He relaxes, “Not bad I guess.”

“Then it’s decided! Hun!” She smiles and he returns the smile.

“Autumn.”

 She turns at the sound of her name, noticing that Hurricane stood to attention, his posture perfect as he bows.

Taecyeon stood behind her, hands clasped behind his back, face calm but his eyes darted around lazily. “Mind if I join you?”

Autumn glances quickly to her guard, she would have enjoyed spending time finding out more about him, especially because he was just starting to open up to her, but she couldn’t refuse a prince.

“Of Course.” Autumn answers, hoping her smile was pleasant.

They walk down the hallway, Taecyeon leading the way with Autumn walking a step behind him followed by Hurricane giving the two spaces, but keeping close enough. The three walk silently through the silent halls, occasionally passing staff who bowed quickly before disappearing. Taecyeon eventually opens the door to an open room with long windows looking out onto the garden, the floor carpeted with swirling lines of brown and cream. He motions for them to sit, it wasn’t until she saw Hun stand in the corner did she realize that Taecyeon only meant her. She sat on a chair that faced the window.

“Did you enjoy the garden?” Taecyeon says softly surprising Autumn.

“Yes, it’s beautiful.”

“My mother designed it along with the head of garden staff. It took then so long to finish. She likes to do that kind of thing.”

Autumn nods, but is too nervous to say anything in fear of saying something wrong.

“What interests do you have?” Taecyeon continued.

“Nothing specific…” Autumn replies, cursing herself for not having something interesting.

“You should find one; there are more than enough resources here. Life here easily becomes redundant. Personally I prefer hunting, the recreational kind. I don’t like dealing with the death, it’s all about the anticipation.”

Autumn nods again, she had heard about how some royalty use sedating darts instead of bullets.

“You should join me sometime.” Taecyeon continues.

“I would love to.” She answers softly even though it is safe for the animals, it still made her squeamish.

Taecyeon laughs loudly startling Autumn, “There is no need to force yourself.”

“I … I just…” Autumn tries to come up with a reason, but end up shutting .

“I could see the unwillingness rolling of you.” He says with a chuckle. “I would like to ask you to be honest with me, seeing as we will be spending the rest of our lives living together, we might as well get comfortable.”

“I understand.” Autumn says, still slightly confused.

“Well I have a meeting to attend; I will see you tomorrow the same time?”

“OF course.” Autumn says getting up from her seat.

“And think about what you would like to do.” Taecyeon says as the door closes behind him.

Autumn sags back into the chair, exhausted by the simple conversation.

‘Doesn’t he scare you?” She says, when there is no response she turns to face Hurricane who stood in the corner.

A flutter of confusion passes his eyes, “Were you asking me?”

“Of course! There is no one else in the room!” Autumn laughs.

“I suppose he does.” Hun answers.

“Because he’s royalty?” She asks intrigued by his response.

“Partially, but mainly his power.” He spoke softly and carefully.

“The power that comes with royalty?” Autumn asks.

“No, not that one.”

Autumn nodded when it finally clicked. “His elemental power?”

A curt nod from her guard answered her question. “It has been several generations since Earth court has had someone with such great strength.”

Autumn shivered, Earth Court is the strongest court as is, she can’t begin to imagine the strength he possessed, nor how the world would become when Taecyeon finally is crowned king.