Chapter 14

Keep Me Safe

Autumn lay on the bed, looking at the figure a little way next the bed. Hurricane had insisted that he sleep on the floor. He shivered slightly on the floor moving around slightly.

“Hun.”

“Yes?”

“I’m cold.”

This was a lie. She was fine, but that was because she had enough blankets and a warm mattress beneath her and not a hard wood floor like Hurricane did. She couldn’t even convince him to take a single extra blanket from here. And even though the fire crackled softly in the fire place. It wasn’t enough as the temperature plummeted enough to cause frost to appear on the window pane.

Hurricane stands up concerned he wordlessly handed her his blankets. Autumn frowned, he already had less blankets yet her was handing it to her. But she had another idea. She smiles as she grabs his hand and pulls him with all her strength causing him to almost fall onto the bed.

“Keep me warm.” she says.

“Is that an order?” Hurricane laughs with a sparkle in his eye.

“Definitely!” She laughs.

Hurricane smiles as he squishes next to her on the small bed. He offers his arm as a pillow which Autumn accepts and he pulls her close.

“Who are you?” He whispers into her hair.

“I can be anything you need me to be.” Autumn laughs her breath tickling his neck.

“I want you to be mine.” Hurricane laughs.

“Then I’ll be yours.” Autumn replies as if it was just that simple.

 

The next morning Hurricane was up early, once again chopping up more wood. But this time it was finer and he piles them carefully into neat stacks. Autumn comes out to join him a little while later.

“What is this for?”

“Try it.”

Autumn looks at him confused.

“We need to find out if that was a fluke or are you really a natural.”

Autumn looks uncertain. Autumn had never heard of a family having more than one natural except in the royal family. But Autumn did not have a drop of royal blood in her veins.

“Just try.” hurricane says encouragingly. “Try imagining a fire and directing it towards the wood.”

Autumn has never had any training regarding how to be a natural but she has heard her brother describing it. She tried to visualize the flames her brother made. The red and orange flames that reminded her of her name.

She stares hard at the pile of sticks, both hurricane and herself stared hard, looking for any signs of a flame but there is none.

“Maybe it was a fluke after-”

Autumn was cut off as Hurricane out a finger to her lips.

“Look…”

Autumn stared hard and then she saw it, the smallest string of smoke.

“Try again.” hurricane instructed.

And autumn focused all her energy on that one spot.

A small flame danced in the wind appearing out if nowhere.

Hurricane stares at Autumn in amazement.

She did it.

She was a natural.

 

Their celebrations were interrupted by a loud beeping sound. And Hurricane immediately tense up. “Let’s get inside quickly.”

Once they were inside hurricane grabbed the radio transmitter laying on the table.

“Hurricane. Rebels spotted heading your way on foot, one kilometer south from your location. I suggest you head south west.”

“We still have time let’s go.” Hurricane says grabbing Autumn’s hand and heading for the door which opens before they reach the door.

“A natural.” Hurricane said under his breath.

It took a second for Autumn to understand what he mean. This man was a teleporter.

Autumn gasps when she realizes that she actually could recognize his face... Her captor from before.

“Nice to see you again Miss Autumn.”

Hurricane moves Autumn further behind him as the person moved closer.

“Don’t be alarmed, I don’t mean any harm, probably.”

When Hurricane doesn’t relax. He continues as if nothing happened.

“I’m Bang YongGuk, nice to meet you.”

“YongGuk… “Royalty? Is it possible?

“Oh, I am of common birth, not a drop of royalty in me. I just chose a new name for myself. But if it makes you comfortable, you can call me Storm. Most of us chose an old name for ourselves, Kind of rebelling in our own ways.” His eyes seems to linger a moment longer on Hurricane’s before turning back to Autumn.

“Choosing our own names; ignoring the rules.”

YongGuk pauses seeming to be listening to some far off noise.

“I should be going; it was nice to meet the future Queen of Fire Court. We’ll definitely meet again.”

And just like that he disappears just as guards burst into the cottage.

 

After that time YongGuk did not come to visit them there again. Even though Hurricane wrote a report. The captain of the Guards still insisted that Autumn should move to the official hide out. Hurricane protested but in the end he was powerless in the situation and they moves to the new residence. Autumn’s room had been set up to be almost identical to her room in the Palace. Even though Hurricane had his own room, He chose to move his bed into her room and seeing as it was only the two of them it didn’t seem to matter. They spent all their time together, going on adventures in the woods surrounding the place hiking, going swimming in a nearby river, going star gazing even though Hurricane didn’t know much about but he enjoyed watching her watch the stars and everything was almost perfect.

 

Of course until Taecyeon comes to visit unannounced.

“We weren’t expecting you.” Autumn says.

Taecyeon gave the two of them a very long look, making Autumn sweat, but he soon looks away.

“It’s time to go back.” He says with a raised eyebrow.