Chapter 17

Keep Me Safe

It was well past midnight when they came for him. The last dancers left the floor the king and queen retired for the night into their chambers. Autumn had just started to drift off when she heard a shuffle breakout in the conjoined room. Thinking it was the rebels; Autumn quietly moved towards the door grabbing the heaviest object she could find. There was no way she was going to hide while Hurricane was out fighting for his life. She threw open the door and is immediately makes eye contact with Hurricane as all eyes turned to her. Hurricane froze for a moment giving his attackers a chance to subdue him. It didn’t make sense it was all wrong; Autumn could only stare as a guard blocked her path; separating her from Hurricane. The guards of Earth Court who Hurricane worked with, took him away.

“Stop right this right now.”

“Sorry Miss I need you to go back into your room-”

“I said stop this right now!” Autumn yells louder, “Don’t you know who I am?” As much as Autumn hated her position, she just needed for to give Hurricane enough time to run.

“I’m sorry Miss Autumn. This is an order from the prince.”

“What for?”
“Treason.”

And then it clicked; Autumn gasps as the realization hit her, they were caught, they were not careful enough, and Taecyeon clearly wasn’t going to let him go.

 

Autumn’s footsteps could be heard pattering towards a place that she had thought she would never be in such a hurry to get to. She ignores the guards standing by his door; forgetting the etiquette she had been living by for the past few months.

“What is the meaning of this?” She shouts.

Taecyeon who had was just gotten back not too long ago took his time loosening as stared ing his shirt before turning towards her.

“Why don’t you tell me?”

Autumn bites her lip; she knew that he knew; and he knew that she knew that he knew. There was no need to actually explain anything and Autumn was not in the mood to play games with him.

“But treason?” Autumn shot back.

“What else?” Taecyeon shot back.

“Please explain to me how this equates to treason? When I just arrived here you made it clear you were not perusing me for romantic reasons as you were ‘occupied’.”

“I think I don’t need to explain myself.”

“Why are you doing this?” Autumn pleads frustrated.

“Because I love you.” Taecyeon says; a silence following.

“Lies.’ Autumn spat.

“It doesn’t matter if you don’t believe me; I don’t think I believe it myself.”He pauses, as if her was pondering so of life most difficult questions. “I just wanted to see your expression when I said that. You should be thankful you are not the one being accused of treason.”

Before she had a chance to reply, Taecyeon waves forward a couple of guards, “Please Miss Autumn back to her room.”

 

“I want to see him.”

“Sorry Miss Autumn; His majesty ordered us to keep you here.”

As soon as Autumn returned to her room she was locked in her room. There had been no news from Hurricane and Autumn couldn’t help but fear the worst. It has already been several hours since he was taken away and Autumn was helpless, she didn’t even know what punishment would be handed down for treason and she wished she could at least go to the library and find out more about how she could possible get him out.

 

There is a knock on the door and one of the guards lazily gets up and unlocks the door and immediately stands to attention; this catches Autumn’s attention. She was a bit surprised to see Prince Kyungsoo enter her room with two other guards in tow.

“I am here to speak to Autumn and also relieve you of your duties.” He says gesturing towards the two new guards. The original two looked very much relieved and thanked Kyungsoo without much questioning. As soon as their retreating footsteps almost disappear Kyungsoo opens the door again.

“Go save him.”

Autumn hesitates; how does she know that this isn’t a trap? But she was willing to take the risk. She glances at the two new guards as she makes her way to the door with urgency.

“You can trust them.” Kyungsoo says as if reading her mind and the other two guards nod quickly.

“We are both friends of Hurricane.”

It somehow struck her as strange as he never really mentioned much of his friends, but then again there wasn’t much time.

“Hurry.” Kyungsoo says, snapping Autumn back to reality.

 

Autumn follows the two guards through the twists and turns of the palace hallways eventually the hallways became less and less decorated and Autumn knew they were going there the work quarters, they eventually exit the building and run along a gravel pathway, the stones crunching under their feet as they carefully made their way to a stonewalled house which Autumn is guessing is the guard house. Autumn couldn’t wait to see Hurricane; to see that he was fine. But when they got closer Autumn was surprised for the lack of security as there was not a single guard in sight; this also seems to alarm the two guards as they hurry to Hurricanes holding cell where only a single figure dressed in the guard uniform stood in the cell. The two guards seem to breathe a sigh of relief.

“Hurricane?” Autumn says.

The figure turned around to reveal a young guard, his face turned pale as he saw Autumn, “you were too late, They already took him-” He pauses as tears started falling onto his cheek as he clutched the broom which he was holding tighter. “They’re going to execute him.”

“This is very bad.” Kyungsoo says, “Is it’s already as this stage, everyone is just going believe whatever lie Taecyeon comes up with to cover this.”

“Tsk Tsk Tsk.” Everyone freezes as Taecyeon walks towards them, “Dear brother, I am saddened that you think so poorly of me.” He pauses melodramatically.

Everyone pauses fearing what he could do to them all.

“I’ll over look your actions this time.” Taecyeon says as he looks ever person in the eye, “But I suggest you not set foot in here again.”

Kyungsoo, not wanting to take any more risks; ushers everyone out, Autumn tries to slip past but Taecyeon stops her pulling her toward him.

“One wrong move and he’ll be dead before his execution.”