Chapter 2

Keep Me Safe

Autumn continued to watch the flame. The Royal family could all create fire from air, an elemental power all royals are born with. A few members of the public possessed the rare trait, they were called Naturals. They would be recruited and trained to serve the royal family. Ash was a natural, and that is probably why their family would be able to live comfortably, Naturals were well compensated for their work. It is also the reason why Autumn rarely sees her brother, but it is also the reason why her brother could not volunteer as her messenger, which she was thankful he couldn’t.

The week passed in a flurry of dress fittings, etiquette lessons, and other things that Autumn didn’t know why it was required to know. She rarely got to see her family during this time where she wanted to be with the most. She still didn’t learn about the relationship between her brother and Chanyeol. She had finally adapted to calling the prince by his given name after they many meetings throughout the week. And there was Blaze…

There was a knock on her door as Spark pops into her room.

“It’s time.”

Autumn was hurried into a vehicle manned by a member of The Telekinetic Court. She could hear the cheering from the crowd as she neared the Main Plaza. The stopped in front of a red carpet that on closer inspection were red rose petals scattered heavily. She stepped out the vehicle, careful not to step on her dress, Red flowing fabric melted into a soft orange train. A sudden gust of wind ruffled her dress, creating the illusion of a flame dancing in the wind and the red petals lifted off the floor dancing between the crowds. As she straightened her back, men dressed in the red military coats lifted their hand in salute, a soft flame burning from their finger tips, Naturals. She scans the row searching for her brother; she was almost at the podium when she caught sight of a small, sad, but proud smile from her brother. He winks as her while keeping a straight face; if Autumn wasn’t trying so hard not to trip she would have broken down in laughter. Once she reached the stairs, Chanyeol was there to greet her, taking her hand like he said he would. He led her to the front of the podium, waving at the masses before he turned to Autumn.

“You ready?” He whispers. Autumn could only manage a weak nod.

“Miss Autumn, Child of the Fire Court, Thank You for your service and May your passion never burn out.”

Autumn relies in a soft thank you as she had rehearsed with Spark. Chanyeol gave her hand one last squeeze before he stepped back.

Spark walks up to the podium a smile tight on her face. “We will now continue with the draw to determine Miss Autumn’s Messenger.” Autumn drops her gaze; she didn’t want to see the face of the family of her messenger.

“Before we proceed, we will allow this time for the healthy men of our court to offer their services.”

Autumn shut her eyes, the masses were silent, which Autumn took as a good sign, and it means no one has volunteered. She could feel her brother gaze but it disappears when a voice sounds clearly across the Plaza, a bit out of breathe but determined.

“I Do.”

No. She looks up as the crowd parts for the volunteer, Blaze, the one person that understood her the most. A sad tune rang though her heart, stinging her eyes as Blaze’s gaze met hers. Memories came crashing down and Autumn wasn’t sure she could hold herself any longer. Blaze laughing at her when she fell into the puddle when they were five. Him spending all his pocket money to buy her a birthday present when her when she was ten. Walking down the path to school laughing at the new student when they were fifteen. And now, walking down towards to podium when they are twenty. He wasn’t supposed to be here, he should have been away on a work assignment. He wasn’t supposed to know; she was supposed to leave. It shouldn’t be him.

“Oh my, I believe this is the first volunteer in Fire Court. May I ask your name?” Spark asks.

“Blaze.” He says proudly, not breaking his gaze with Autumn.

“I commend you on your bravery.” Spark says the sealing words.

Autumn froze, her mind shut down. She only recovers when Ash pulls her into a bone crushing hug, “Be safe ok? Chanyeol will help you as much as he can from this side, he owes me one. Be safe ok?” he repeats, “I am glad that at least Blaze is with you.” He says as he moves aside so that her parent could part ways, her mom’s face remains strong, but tears still glisten in her eyes, her father has tears falling shamelessly down his face as he pulls the whole family into a hug.

Suddenly Autumn was alone, traveling to a new place with new rule and a new role. In a blur of endless fields or red poppy flower, the landscape slowly changed the red faded away to the beige grass fields of Earth Court. The vehicle smoothly slows as the castle of Earth court came into view, an impressive structure that towered over the rest of the houses, set in the background of mountain decorated with green foliage. It would have take Autumn’s breathe away if it wasn’t the prison where she would be held. Autumn didn’t notice the vehicle had stopped until an elderly man opened the door, unsmiling as he guided her up the stairs and towards the large door that looms in front of her.  The old man waits at the door, holding it open as another lady stepped forward guiding her into the spacious and unnaturally bright room. Autumn strained her neck as she turned to have one last look at the open expanses outside the walls that will now keep her prisoner. A last gust of air infused with the earthy smell of coal lingers in the air as the door is closed. She turns back to the room when the lady at her arm nudges her, he eyes slowly adjust to the brightness in the room; electricity powering the chandler the hang from the tall ceiling, the crystals sparkling spreading colorful speck of light everywhere. Electricity was almost never used, a luxury only obtainable from the Lightning court. Autumn is then lead barely keeping up with the lady as she is ushered into endless hallways, twisting and turning disorientating Autumn. The lady stops abruptly in front of a solid wooden door. The lady knocked twice, the sound crisp and precise.

“Enter.” A voice commanded with confidence.

The lady opens the door, pushes Autumn into the room, abruptly shutting the door in her face when she turned in confusion. A movement catches her eye, spinning around to face the male who stood proudly, hand clasped behind his back gazing lazily but carefully out of the tall windows looking out onto the village in the distance. There was no need for an introduction; one look is all it took to place the trained and perfect posture; royalty, not just a simple member, the prince.

Autumn dropped into a deep courtesy, “Your Majesty.” She said, thankful that her voice didn’t shake. She didn’t want to show how scared she felt inside, not after her presence was not a welcomed one; the old man and lady made that clear.

The prince turned slowly, facing her for the first time, His eyes are dark as he looks over her, there was something wild in the way he looked her, like a predator would its prey. Autumn tried not to tremble as a cool fear settled over her.

“Your name?” He asks in a low growl, not threatening, but not friendly either.

“Autumn, Your Majesty.” Autumn says softly, her heart beating furiously in her chest.

“Taecyeon, call me Taecyeon. We are to be wed after all.” He smiles for the first time, the right corner of his mouth lifting widely. Autumn forced herself to return even thought all her instincts tell her to run. As fast as his smile came it was gone, as cold face returned, “I’ll get straight to the point, I don’t intend to love you although we are to be wed. This is all politics.” He says gesturing to the two of them. “But I am not cruel; I don’t care what you do. Love freely, but secretly. That is all I ask of you.”

Autumn ducks her head, acknowledging his words. She knew she wouldn’t be having the fairytale that Spark had painted the situation to be, but she wasn’t expecting this either.

“But alas, we both have images to keep, I suppose a meeting once a day would not be requesting for too much. You are free to do as you please provided you are chaperoned, I can’t something happening to my wife.” He growls wife lowly, almost inaudible. “I believe this suits you well?”

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

He frowns as the last part, “I guess that’ll take time.” He says as he turns back to the window dismissing her. Autumn stood motionless, not sure of what is expected of her. A single knock on the door comes as her savior; two maids slip into the room and guide Autumn into another walk through the maze of a palace.