Chapter 1

Keep Me Safe

Autumn watched girls gathering in the main plaza to watch the draw which was taking place in the Main Plaza. A public draw was happening in for the first time in Fire court, draws were almost always done in secret. The unfamiliarity heightened her unease, but it seems like it’s not that way for everyone. She frowns softly at the girl who has dressed their best in hopes of being whisked away into a new life that was promised by the draw. Other girls dressed in their everyday girls looked anxiously as preparation went about, they too hoping to get chosen to a better life. Autumn didn’t fit either of the two groups as she watched from the balcony. She just wanted to stay at with her family, and the simple but stable life she had here in Fire court. She catches the eye of another girl who was also watching from balcony of another building; Autumn wasn’t the only one who thought that way, she smiles to the other girl before she turned back to the commotion happening at the Main Plaza.

A lady dressed in a bright red walked up the podium and silence settled in the Main Plaza.

“Good Evening the people of Fire court. I am Spark and I will be overseeing today’s Draw.” She pauses dramatically as a large glass box filled with countless little piece of red piece of paper in pushed into the plaza. Autumn’s unease increases, her name written on of those pieces of paper, but there are many others, she won’t be chosen she tells herself. She is distracted by the cheers of the girls increasing as a figure makes their way up the podium, it takes her a second to recognize the prince, Chanyeol.

“The prince will be the one who will be drawing the name of the lucky girl!” And suddenly the lady didn’t seem as enthusiastic as she was before, her smile faltering for a millisecond, but she quickly recovers as she shakes hands with Chanyeol before he moves next to container. “I know you all are curious to know what the chosen one will be doing in Earth court.” She continues. The true reason for the draw had been kept a secret, as a surprise supposedly. “The lucky girl is to be betrothed with first prince of Earth Court, his majesty, Taecyeon.” The girls in the plaza chatter excitedly, the exact opposite to what Autumn was feeling. She hears the door opens, and her brother, Ash joins her on the balcony, and grabs her hand tightly, easing the tension that held Autumn. Something was wrong, why would they be choosing one of public to become royalty. As if sensing her question, Spark continues. “It was agreed between the two courts to offer one of the young ladies in Fire court seeing as the Fire Princess is still too young to be wed.”

“I hear the prince is 25.” Her brother speaks up for the first time. Autumn nods, it would be wrong to force a girl of 10 to wed someone of that age. But it also increased her worry, why were the royal family so desperate to have this arrangement?

Spark waited for the screams to die down, “I know a lot of you are excited.” So without further adieu, your majesty…” She moves aside as the Glass box is pushed forward.  The prince puts his hand into the box and takes one of the red pieces of paper; his hand almost makes it out of the box before he loses his grip on the piece of paper. The prince smiles weakly as he reaches in once again and chooses another piece of paper and hands it to Spark.

Autumn didn’t want to watch the name being read, but her feet wouldn’t move. A gust of wind moves though the plaza, sparking a memory. He parents had named her after the fiery leaves of the autumn. It was a unique name, seeing as it didn’t have anything to do with Fire. He parents had to plea with the official before it was officially approved. The wind smelled of the dying summer and rotting leave, the smell of autumn.

“Autumn.” Sparks voices ring out brightly. “Miss Autumn will be contacted soon; we look forward to meeting you.” Spark says with a bright tone but her expression doesn’t mirror the enthusiasm in her voice. “And that conclude the draw, please get home safely.”

She couldn’t hear anything, she saw her brother’s lips move but no sound, Autumn, her name. All she could feel was her brother pulling her into his arms as if he was trying to keep her together. Slowly, sound found its way back to her ears. Is it possible that there is another Autumn? But that little piece of hope slipped away when there is a knock on the door.

The prince entered the place looking a little unsure until him spot Autumn and her brother on the balcony.

“I’m so sorry Ash.” He says immediately.

Autumn paused, confused that the prince knew her brother by name. He brother gives her a look that tells her he will explain later.

“I made a request to redraw but they wouldn’t listen.” The prince mumbled again and again, his face buried in his hands, too afraid to look up.

“It wasn’t your fault, Chanyeol…” Her brother reaches out to pat his shoulder, ‘I know you would have tried.”

There was another knock on the door, Chanyeol immediately straighten up his suit and put on a classic professional smile and goes to open the door. A flurry of red fabric, Spark entered the apartment stopping front of Autumn, “Miss Autumn, You have been chosen to represent Fire court in our neighbor, Earth Court. I am here to convey my thanks on behalf of the court for your sacrifice. I know this may be a lot to take in all at once, but I, Spark, will be with you every step of the way to the border of Fire Court.” She says slowly, clearly and precisely, perfectly rehearsed, but even practice couldn’t hide the concern in her eyes.

Spark didn’t wait for Autumn to respond, she spoke in the same manner but Autumn was struggling to keep up with the information being dispensed. But she got the gist of it, she was to leave in a week, there will be a public sending off ceremony, at the same time another private draw will be held to determine her messenger. Spark looked drained after she finished her speech and then excusing herself to do other preparations. It was so much to take in; never in her life, did Autumn believe she would require a messenger. A messenger; someone who will be her only line of communication with Fire Court once she leave; at the same time someone who will act like her witness to vouch for her, essentially a form of blackmail used by the courts. One misstep from Autumn and that would be the end of the messenger. Although a stranger the most likely to drawn, there is a clause that allows for volunteers. The part that she dreads the most, what if someone volunteers, and at the same time, what if someone doesn’t.

Autumn was so deep in her thoughts she didn’t hear the conversation between her brother and the prince. It wasn’t until her brother nudged her lightly on her ribs, did she notice the Prince smiling sadly at her.

“My apologies Your Majesty.” Autumn says quickly ducking her head.

“Call me Chanyeol, I wish we didn’t meet under these circumstances, Ash always spoke fondly of you, and now I am the one who will be sending you away. I will do my best to insure your safety.”

The prince left shortly afterwards, leaving the red piece of paper in her hand, he name written in curving letters, A memento the prince had called it bitterly.

Her brother left to see the prince off, leaving Autumn alone for the first time since her name was called. The red paper crinkled as her fist tightened. She walks slowly to the balcony, grabbing a lighter in the process. She looked at the gold lighter in one hand and her name in the other. The lighter lit a small flame after giving a few sparks, the red orange flame wavered slightly as she held the red paper to the fire, watching the fire the black letter printed on the page, the ashes blown away in the autumn wind.