Chapter 6

Keep Me Safe

When Autumn got back to her room, there was a note from Blaze, telling her he is waiting for her in one of the sitting rooms. She immediately asked one of the maids to bring her there. The maid took her though the complex halls of the castle, Autumn followed closely behind, along with the Hurricane’s silent footsteps. The Maid brought them to an ornate door then promptly excused herself. Autumn took a deep breath before knocking on the door; the door was opened immediately by a distraught Blaze, “Autumn.” He says quickly, while opening the door wider to let the two in, eying Autumn’s guard with suspicious eyes, but quickly turning his attention back to Autumn. “I will not apologize, but I really hope you understand why I did it.” His words spill out in a rush. ”I-“

Autumn raises her hand slowly, “I get it, I’m sorry for being angry. But I still wish you were back home.”

Blaze nods, before holding out his hand, which Autumn takes with a small smile. The simple gesture reminded her so much of her childhood, whenever they fought, their parent would make them shake hands and make up. So Autumn was surprised when Blaze pulled her into his arms, she stiffened for a second before relaxing into the familiar warmth that Blaze emitted. “I missed you, you know?” Blaze says softly.

“I missed you too silly.” Autumn says with a laugh, “How are they?”

Blaze didn’t need to ask who she w as talking about as he releases her, there is only one thing she could be referring to; her family. “They’re doing ok, just continuing with what they have to do, but Ash misses you terribly. You parent’s sent their love, they wanted me to bring some food for you but the officials said I couldn’t.” Blaze smiles apologetically.

“It’s ok, the food here is pretty good, but I do miss the dried cranberries from home.” Autumn laughs, imagining her mom making food in the kitchen back in their apartment.

Autumn was so caught up in catching up, she forgot that they were not alone until there was a knock on the door and Hurricane went to go open the door. She sneaks a glance at the tall male walk to the door, mesmerized by the way Hurricane moved. Blaze stops talking, looking at his friend, he knew that look all too well.

“So who is he?” Blaze asks, trying to keep his tone casual.

“Who?” Autumn asks, snapping back to face Blaze.

Blaze lazily point to Hurricane, rolling his eyes.

“He’s my personal guard apparently.”

Blaze looked like he wanted to ask more when he spotted Taecyeon walk through the door. He stood up and bowed immediately, “Your Majesty.”

Autumn followed Blazes lead, standing next to Blaze.

“Taecyeon, this is my friend Blaze, he is also my… My messenger.” She said slowly, her heart stung while when she said the last word.

“I heard, Nice to meet you.” Taecyeon says with a laugh that doesn’t reach his eyes. “I heard you volunteered too!”

Blaze smiles weakly; afraid that the reminder might set Autumn off but instead she seemed distracted, sneaking glances to Hurricane who had resumed his former position. Blaze was so distracted he missed the prince’s question.

“Excuse me?” He asks slightly embarrassed.

“I asked you what you thing about the celebration happening tonight.” Taecyeon replies detachedly.

“May I ask what the occasion is?” Blaze asks in a forced casualness.

“To celebrate your arrival, of course, but more importantly; the arrival of the future queen of Earth Court.” Taecyeon says with an easy smile that strangely made Blaze feel uncomfortable.

Right on cue, there was a light knock on the door and Autumn spotted her two maids in the doorway as Hurricane opened the door.

“Miss, it’s time for you to get ready for the ball.”

Autumn excused herself as she followed her maids, her guard keeping up a short way behind her. Ocean and Tide work efficiently transforming Autumn into a whole other being. Dressed in a midnight blue off the shoulder dress, her hair curled and pinned carefully at all the right places to hold a small tiara with matching earrings. Autumn felt a little more confident about the evening but when the Hurricane knocked on the door, her anxiety levels skyrocketed. Today is the day she would finally be introduced as the official fiancé of the crown prince making her a princess, and suddenly the tiara on her head felt heavier. Hurricane walked her down a different set of hallways and as they turned the corner Autumn knocked into Hurricane. He caught her, with a slightest hint of a smile. “Don’t be nervous, You’ll be fine.” And just like that the anxiety disappeared. They turned down another hallway which opened up to a large room where the prince and Blaze were waiting for her, she turned around unsure of what she was supposed to do, but Hurricane had already disappeared. The two men both offered her their arm which she chose to take both needing all the support she could get. The prince nodded to the attendants waiting by the large doorway, the attendants opened the door, and their arrival was announced in a clear manner ringing around the hall that had become silent as all the guests turned to their attention to the trio who had just entered.

The three of them made their way to the throne where the King and Queen were seated. Whispers filled the room as everyone tried to catch a glimpse of the future Queen. Autumn tried her best to smile, which many of the people returned but when she caught the bright green eyes of a young lady about her age, her smile was met with a firm look of disgust which unsettled her. Of course she wasn’t expecting a welcoming crowd but she didn’t expect to be hated so soon. Autumn turned her attention back to the throne as they got closer. They stopped a short way before and Autumn dropped to a low curtsy exactly like Spark had told her weeks ago.

“Father, Mother, I would like to introduce, Miss Autumn of Fire Court, my fiancé and her messenger, Sir Blaze of Fire Court.” Taecyeon said.

“Welcome to Earth Court.” The king said in a voice that demanded authority.

The Queen, however, spoke in a kind tone that reminded Autumn of her own mother.
“It is a pleasure to finally meet you, my dear. I am glad to finally have another lady who I can speak to.”

Taecyeon spoke to his father for a moment before leading Autumn and Blaze toward the crowd introducing them to other members of the royal family and people of importance.

Taecyeon and Blaze entered a heated debate with Taecyeon’s cousin about something that Autumn did not quite understand, leading her to wander around, she scanned the faces looking for a specific face and smiled a little when she spotted Hurricane standing by the wall. She was about to walk over when there was a light tap on her shoulder. She turned around and saw a male dressed in a decorated military coat similar to the one that Taecyeon was wearing.

“I thought I would introduce myself. I’m Kyungsoo, Taecyeon’s younger brother.” He said with a nervous smile. This caught Autumn by surprise, she had never heard Taecyeon bring up a younger brother. Her surprise must have been evident on her face as Kyungsoo laughs nervously. “He probably never told you about me, doesn’t surprise me really. Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself.” He adds before excusing himself. Autumn was confused and looked again in Hurricane’s direction, thankfully he was still there and Autumn motions for him to follow her. She walked out the door and waited, a moment later the door opened and Hurricane appeared.

“I needed to get out of there… there is just too many people there!” Autumn says jokingly.

Hurricane doesn’t comment but nods in acknowledgment.

“I didn’t know that Taecyeon had a younger brother! I wonder why he never mentioned it before.” Autumn continues, voicing out her random thoughts as the two walked.

“Their relationship is complicated; the crown prince doesn’t really associate with the young Prince.”

Autumn nods as they make their way around a corner.

Autumn spots a pair of green eyes making her way down the hallway. Autumn noticed how beautiful the girl looked in a green dress that matched her eyes. As they got closer, Autumn put on a smile, trying to be polite, they were practically right in front of each other and as the other girl walked past, she said in a soft voice, “Don’t think you can be queen just before you were luck in a draw. I mean is that Tiara even real?” She says her hands reached over toward the Tiara on Autumn’s head. But Hurricane’s hand shot out hand stopped the other girl taking the girl by surprise. She quickly shrugs it off and hastily makes her exit.

Autumn stops for a few seconds, “What was that about?”

“She was one of Prince Taecyeon’s suitors, Miss Jade, the eldest daughter of a wealthy merchant.”

Autumn nods as Jade’s actions made sense, of course she would be unhappy.

“Are there other… suiters?” Autumn asks carefully not sure if she really wanted to know, thinking about the first conversation between the prince and herself.

Hurricane nods as they finally round the last corner and into the familiar hallway that lead to her room.

That night Autumn lay awake on her bed, the reality that she may indeed end up as the queen one day, she really didn’t know if she could do it, a normal girl from another court, and unknowingly a tear escaped the corner of her eye. Could she really do it? Autumn wiped away the stupid tear, what was the point of crying? She tried to get some rest but sleep didn’t come easy. She felt so alone, little did she know that on the other side of the door, another soul lay awake, thinking.