Pen Pal/Letters | 1. Pen Pals AU

AU Challenge | YoonMin

It is a tiring day for Min Yoongi: well, working without a break for six hours after college is frustrating, and he also has to record this brainstorm idea he has in his mind. It was tiring, how he has to work and also take a step ahead, towards his dream of becoming a music producer.

He is excited for one thing though: the letter which arrives at his doorstep every Saturday morning. Oh how much he waits for it. It had only been small letters from the latter for a span of just three months, but he is excited nevertheless.

Apparently, the sender-- who told him to just name him as 'Chim'-- needed a penpal to show progress in his school's annual project, and he just randomly found Yoongi's address. He still wonders how the sender got his address. So far, he knows only some things about the sender: he was an 18-year-old student in his last year of schooling, he had only some three friends, he likes to dance and he is from Busan. That is literally everything Yoongi knows about 'Chim'. Yet everytime, he receives a letter from the guy, he feels happy. He finds just the words he needed to hear the most in the letter; just simple words yet they give you strength to pull through another day. Also, he likes how the guy believes in him and writes about the week from his side.

With an excited mind, Yoongi goes to sleep, expecting the next letter with an eager heart. It feels good to have someone who you can relate to. And it's always fun to know about someone's daily life; that's human nature, to be curious aboout other people rather than themselves.


Ding dong! He has to say he jumped at the sudden sound, but calmed down. 

"A letter for Mr. Min Yoo-" The postman says.

"That's me" Yoongi cuts him off, obviously too eager to open the letter.

"I see this is from someone special" The guy says, eyeing him in a teasing manner.

"None of your business" Yoongi waits to look at the

"Okay, not meddling in anything. You need to sign here"

Yoongi hurriedly signs on the designated place and received the envelope, not forgetting to thank the postman before closing the door. He carefully cuts open the envelope, letting the white paper fall out from inside. He picks it up and opens the three folds, revealing the content.

"Hi Yoongi-hyung!
      I hope you're fine this week. I received your letter yesterday, and honestly I feel so bad for you. You have to work for your living and achieve your ambition too ㅠㅠ I respect you hyung-nim. I'm just lazing around, trying to find something to do or dream about. I always wanted to be a dancer but my dad doesn't like it. Hmph, they won't know how hard it is to be a dancer.

       I feel so lonely for some reason. Even if I'm surrounded by everyone, I still feel lonely. Did you feel like that too; when you were in school? I just feel too empty for some reason. Ah, I hope this passes away soon. I showed my homeroom teacher our letters and he said it was a good progress! How cool is that? I can finally graduate with a decent progress in my project for once! FYI, all my school projects in the past have been more or less a disaster. LOL.

       Jungkook came over and saw our letters yesterday. He said you could become a big celebrity one day! If you do, don't forget to mention your penpal, okay? I too helped you with relieving your stress, I have written proof from you for that!

       Okay... I don't have anything else to say. Hope you have a nice week! This is it for my week: nothing interesting at all.

       I almost forgot my weekly quote: "Keep smiling, always and in all-ways" Stay happy and be content with whatever you have, because one day, you will get the things you dreamt o with the help of the things you have now.

Till the next letter,    
Chim ^~^"

Yoongi smiled at the short yet pretty interesting letter. He doesn't understand how a piece of paper makes him smile while his own life doesn't. He immediately writes out a reply.

"Hi Chim,

       You 'nickname' still makes me wonder why I gave my real name to you. Anyways, received your letter this Saturday as usual. Don't say your life isn't interesting. Living itself is an interesting thing. 

       Yeah, life is indeed hard. But it was comparatively better this week: lesser work, more time to write and make music! Also, you must be having some dream, right? Like, you love dancing, and that could be what you want to become. If you become a big dancer one day, make sure to mention me too!

       Tell my thanks to your friend; glad that he think I would become a celebrity (which would probably take some more years)

       Yay! You have a progress in your prject which means you're closer to graduating from the hellhole called school! Just kidding; study well, okay? That way you could join an University like me and reach out more towards your dream.

   Regards,   
Min Yoongi"

Yoongi folds the paper and puts it away on his drawer, reminding himself to post it by tomorrow. He usually isn't the type to write anything so trivial, unlike Jimin who accounted possibly every single happening of the week.

He expects the next letter with an eager heart.


It had been two weeks, but there was not a single reply from the latter yet. Yoongi is starting to get worried whether the boy had gotten into some problem. Even if he was faceless, even if he was just an anonymous person with a cute (or the cutest) nickname, Yoongi still cared about Chim. Knowing his weekly life for only three months had a kind of affection growing inside him for Chim. This really proved that one can be caring for someone, even if they don't fully know each other.

Yoongi looks at the envelope with Chim's home address in Busan, and wonders whether he should go there directly.

"Min Yoongi! Focus on the class if you want to pass this semester!" The professor said, making the gold-haired snap back to reality.

That night, Min Yoongi decides to go see the boy for himself.

It takes a strangely long ride from Daegu to Busan-- the city situated beside the sea-- where the boy lives. Thank goodness Yoongi took the morning bus or else he could've ended up at their home in the night. He spends half of his time watching the sceneriy racing by backwards, giving him no time to linger over one view. The rest, he spends be sleeping or writing whatever comes to his mind. His heart is ecstatic at finally getting to meet the school-boy, but there's also this small, weird feeling lingering inside him. Maybe the nervousness of meeting his penpal to whom he had grown an anonymous liking to, or the excitement of meeting the bright-feeling boy.

He gets down on the Bus Terminus, joints sore and aching from not moving an inch for three hours. He looks at the envelope on his hand, looking at the address once more. This is going to take a long day.

At last, by evening, he finally finds the house. It was sophisticated enough for an average family's house-- according to what Chim said in one of his letters. Yoongi rings the bell-- exactly twice-- and waits for the door to open, jumping slightly in excitement. A boy, maybe around Chim's age, opened the door, dark circles decorating his pale face.

"Uh, Hello. I'm here to see... Chim?"

"Chim?" The boy asks, and he nods, "I-I'm his penpal; he told me he was doing a project and wanted a penpal for it. I don't know how he got my address, but... I like his letters."

"O-Oh... Come-Come inside" He says, opening the door more for Yoongi to enter the room.

It is eerily silent inside. "His parents have gone to visit him... And I stayed to take care of the house until they come back"

"Oh; Where is he? In school?" Yoongi asks, looking around.

What Yoongi does not expect is for the boy to start crying all of a sudden. He is in a helpless situation, not knowing whether to stay put or comfort the guy. The young boy tries to say something, but every time he tries to talk, a fresh set of tears fall down his eyes.

"Wh-What happened?" He stammers, trying his best to comfort the broken boy.

"Ji-Jimin-hyung..." And the boy's voice disappears into another broken sob.

"J-Jimin? Who is Jimin?"

Just then, two more enter the home, a solemn look over their tired faces. Maybe Chim's parents...

"Jungkook? Why are you crying?" The man asked as he sat beside the boy.

"And you are...?"

"I'm Yoongi... Your son's penpal..? He might have talked about me"

Yoongi knows the atmosphere wasn't right. Something happened, and he knows it isn't good. It stays silent for about another couple of long minutes before the lady starts to speak up.

"He... You're the one he writes letters to every week, right? Min Yoongi?"

"Y-Yeah, that is me"

"Jimin... Sorry, his name is Jimin" She said, taking a deep sigh. "He... got into an accident two weeks ago"

Yoongi feels like everything around him came to a halting stop. Nothing moves around him, or his eyes are playing tricks on him. "W-What?" He croaks out after finding his tongue back.

"It was when he was returning back from the post office"

More than shock, Yoongi feels guilty. It was because of the need to write and post letters named to him that this happened. If there wasn't the compulsion to write the letter, if they didn't even know each other, he possibly couldn't have been the cause for the accident.

"Even if it's because he went to post the letter to you, you don't have to blame yourself for it"

Yoongi gulps a fair amount of the lump forming on his throat. Even if they do say to not put himself on blame, his heart cannot help but believe that it is his fault. It screams athim, cursing him for putting the boy under the oscillating pendulum of life and death. Wait... did be possibly..?

"C-Can I see him?" He asks, trying his best not to stammer.

"Well, the hospital doesn't really allow anyone past visiting hours... I don't think you can see him today" Jimin's Mother replies.

"Ok-ay... T-Thanks for letting me know. I can go see h-him tomorrow, right?"

"Yes... but where are you staying?"

To this, Yoongi doesn't have an answer. He looks down, forcing his mind to make up something. 

"You can stay here if you want"

"N-No I'm fine with staying out"

"I insist. Jimin would've wanted you to stay"

That catches him off-guard. He stays silent, not really knowing what to say as a reply. "S-Sure... if you insist" He musters up.

"Your room is upstairs; We'll go again tomorrow"

With that, Yoongi leaves a crying Jungkook with Jimin's father while his Mother directs him to his room.

After a very silent dinner, he retreats back into the room provided for him. His mind is filled with a lot of thoughts; thoughts that confuse himself. He doesn't remember being sleepy at all. He keeps staring at the ceiling for hours, blank both at mind and at heart. He feels strangely empty.

A voice rings in his ears: 'You're the reason he almost died'. And he doesn't deny it. He doesn't do anything but let the tears fall down.

For he was the reason.


He walks solemly through the corridors, following Jimin's mother into the Intensive Care Unit. He has all the letters he received every week from Jimin-- about 15-to-20 letters-- zipped up in his bag. He had come to share them with the boy, and tell him how much the letters helped him during hard times, but he did not expect to meet him this way. He doesn't care if he'd be scolded by his professor for not attending classes for one day; he doesn't care about someone telling him to not care about someone who has no face to remember of. He cares about and only about Jimin, his penpal. Everything in his letters, from the little squabbles they would have over something so trivial through letters, the little details Jimin never leaves out while writing his weekly 'report' as he'd quote, to the quotes which are probably thought out by himself because he hadn't heard them anywhere else but from Jimin, or Chim to him.

"I'll just be outside for a while..." Jimin's mother says as they stop before a room, labelled 'Park Jimin, 18' on the door. He debates whether to enter inside or not, and finally decides to enter the room.

What he did not expect was to see a boy, covered up to his waist, a cast bulging over his arm and an oxygen mask covering almost half of his face. Yoongi stops breathing, the guilt building up more and more. Only the beeping of the ECG machine resonates around the room. No other sound, not even the slightest sound of breathing was audible enough.

No words comeout of his mouth, no matter how much he tries to at least utter the boy's real name. He takes a seat beside him, finding his senses back.

He isn't really a fanatic of the soap dramas telecasted on TVs, but right now he wishes something like a miracle would happened and the boy before him would somehow wake up magically.

Even if he hadn't really known Park Jimin, he knew enough to know this boy is the most undeserving person to be here. And to know that he took an integral part of Yoongi's happiness.

'It should've been me... right?"

Only silence replies back to him; and the never-ending beeps.


A/N: i dont even know anymore /shrugs/. i wanted this to be happy but somehow this keeps on ending up angst. and i didn't want to use clichéd plotlines and es. and this is my most favorite AU ever like look at all the angst and cuteness in it (contradicting i know but just look at it)

im a sadist -.-"

but bLONDE JIN OH MY HOLY he just killed me /flips table/

so... see you all next week? comments are much appreciated!!! ^^ i need some love too ;;