Thirty-One

Find Me // SHINee
Please log in to read the full chapter
It was late when the van returned.
Taemin had been leaning against the wall, gently humming the chorus to one of his lesser known songs – Mystery Lover - in a bid to coax his nerves, when the headlights had cast a weary light across the darkened room, creating temporary silhouettes in the gloom.
The same van – a small, inconspicuous, grey van – left the premises every evening. Taemin wasn’t sure what for, but his mind did like to guess: after all, he had to have been transported to the building somehow. Usually, the drivers would remain silent and say little, but tonight was different.
On his second day, Taemin had requested Eunjin unlock the window for him. At first, Eunjin had refused, but upon realising the only escape it provided was death and that nobody would hear his shouts if he tried, she allowed it, meaning Taemin could not only get fresh air, but also hear the chirping birds and distant voices from outside. As he hummed his song lowly, the window was open, and for the first time, he heard the van-drivers speak.   "-yah, Hwangsoon, watch it, don't drop him-" "- it, Lil', I'm not four, I can carry him-" "-take his legs - his legs! No-"
Then the voices grew too distant to hear. A few minutes later, the van door was slammed shut.   Taemin felt his heart pound in his chest. They had somebody.
The next hour felt like an eternity. At times, Taemin forgot to exhale, and grew slight headaches at his lack of respiration. His skin became cold and clammy and his heart thumped in his ears. If they had someone, it could be any of his hyungs. Minho, the man he hadn't seen in months, or Kibum, the man he'd stolen the lover of. The last was the one he wanted it to be the most and the least – whilst Jonghyun’s comfort would have consoled Taemin like nothing else would, his presence would confirm his lack of safety, and lack of well-being, and it would crush Taemin to pieces.   Once the hour of fretting and worrying ended, the door cracked open slowly and Taemin’s head shot up, half-expecting to be met by the withered gaze of one of his hyungs.
He was let down.   Eunjin reached across and switched on the bright electric light, causing Taemin to blink rapidly as his vision adjusted. As she awaited his acknowledgement, she gripped the door handle tightly – a nervous disposition of hers – and stared. Taemin raised his head and latched his gaze onto her dreary eyes. She looked startled, a rabbit caught in the headlights.
“What?” Taemin spat, half out of nervousness and half out of agitation. He'd grown more confident with his captors, having become aware that they were unlikely to hurt him, as nobody had yet raised a fist.   "I-I'm not meant to be here.”   Taemin blinked at Eunjin’s admission, as she quietly clicked the door shut. Her high cheekbones framed her face ethereally in the stricken light, her tiredness an abstract quality that caused Taemin to stiffen.   "But,” she continued, “I came to tell you, another of your friends is here. We got him.”   "Who?” Taemin pressed, voice thick. His suspicions had been correct.   "I-I don't know.”   Taemin glared at her. How could she not know? She had to be lying.   "Tell me,” Taemin pushed, voice slightly softer, “please.”
“I swear,” Eunjin reiterated, “I don’t have a clue. They- they don’t tell me, I've nothing to do with what they just did. But you'll see whoever it is, tomorrow.”   "Why not now?”
Eunjin lowered her head, and muttered, “I've already said too much.”
As she turned to leave, Taemin jolted upright to a standing position, and commanded, “Eunjin, wait!”
Eunjin froze, Taemin’s use of her name for the first time startling her. Slowly, she swivelled around to readdress Taemin, lower lip heavy.
“Tomorrow, we will... You'll...” she paused, rethinking her statement. “He's unconscious. There's no use in seeing him now.”
Taemin nodded, accepting despite the hunch that she was keeping more back from him.   "Eunjin,” he appealed, voice as weak as he could make it, “do you know where he is?”   Eunjin blinked, clutched her sleeves, and nodded.   "Please,” Taemin tried, “let me see him.”   His plead was injected with emotion. No matter who it could be, Taemin knew he had to see them. If it were Kibum or Minho, simply to catch sight of the long-time friends after months of separation would be enough to elapse any rationality left within him. If it were Jonghyun... Taemin bit his lip, and widened his eyes at Eunjin, who seemed to be lost in a trance.
“No,” she stated firmly, “no. You can't.”   "Please!” Taemin repeated, almost whining. His desperation coursed through him. He needed to know who it was. He needed to see.
Eunjin inhaled shakily, hand hovering around the door knob. Her mind was ticking over blankly as Taemin watched, unsure if he'd over-stepped the line by targeting Eunjin’s obvious weakness – her empathy.   Finally, she looked back at Taemin.   "Be quiet, follow my lead, and don’t speak out of line,” she instructed. “Follow me.”   •••   The journey was one that Taemin already knew. Twice a day, he'd be escorted by Hwangsoon to the bathrooms, a few doors down the hallway from his own room. The hallway itself was narrow and cluttered with junk, the various d
Please log in to read the full chapter