Sixteen

Find Me // SHINee
Please log in to read the full chapter
Kibum felt so cold. Even though he’d thrown his sodden rain coat to the ground, the extra layer it had provided was not compensated for by the fact his large jumper was dry. The lights were dim and the rain gently lashed against the windows, almost emphasising the cold, but Kibum knew the real reason he was like ice – and it had nothing to do with the temperature.
Silently, he rocked himself on his heels, crouched down with his knees hugged to his chest. His back lightly skimmed the apartment’s doorframe, and it was the only thing keeping him balanced as his eyelids heavily flickered. It was past 4AM, he should be sleeping.
On any other night, the daunting shadows from the long corridor of apartments would have intimidated him, to the extent where he would have had to leave out of fear, but Kibum found that to be an irrational affliction; his mind was only focussed on one thing now, and one thing alone.
Jonghyun.
It was 4AM and he wasn’t home. Kibum knew that either meant two things – he had been hurt and couldn’t make it home, or, the more likely scenario, he was with someone else. Kibum supposed he shouldn’t have been surprised, not really. Jonghyun had seemed disgusted by him when they last met, and kept his secrets to himself, despite showing a willingness to share them. And Kibum had been... Well... He’d been Kibum, he’d ed up, as usual.
“Ey’, ‘scuse me,” croaked a deep voice. Kibum jolted and raised his head, skin ashen and hair loose.
“You ain’t that... That idol, are you? Key?”
Kibum blinked.
He hadn’t expected to meet anyone at 4AM, nonetheless a six-foot-six giant of a man sporting a comfortable jacket and jeans. He didn’t seem in the least bit tired, and instead peered down at Kibum curiously.
“Uh...” Kibum managed to stand, tugging at the hem of his large blue turtleneck jumper and nodding.
“Holy ,” laughed the man, disbelief ringing in his voice. He was tall and broad shouldered, with the slightest of bulging guts and the largest of wacky smiles. “Didn’t expect to see that coming back to my apartment.” He took a step closer to Kibum.
“I-I just, I-“ Kibum was stuttering, unsure of how to respond. Surely the man would have known Jonghyun was staying in that apartment, a member of the same group?
“Sorry,” apologised the gruff man, “bad timing, I get it. What ye’ doin’ here anyway?”
“Just... Visiting a friend,” Kibum admitted, taking a step back from the man. He had to get away before anyone else saw him, before the man imposed too many odd questions.
“Oh,” smiled the man. “Well, it’s nice to meet you. Can I get a handshake before I go?”
Kibum nodded, exhausted and overwhelmed. The man’s eyes lit up merrily as he extended a hand. Kibum accepted the offer, before yelping a blunt curse.
The man twisted Kibum’s wrist and kneed him in the stomach, winding the rapper as he fell backwards against the door frame, rattling it. Pain lanced through his gut and he didn’t even r
Please log in to read the full chapter