Nineteen

Find Me // SHINee
Please log in to read the full chapter
Kibum shamelessly cried, hugging the pillow to his chest as his hyung gently rubbed his shoulder, in a bid to console him. Though the room was warm, it felt cold to Kibum, whose mind was riddled with chilling thoughts and icy reminders.
“It's okay, Kibum,” soothed the voice, “it's okay.”
As Kibum sobbed, his whole body shook, the dimmed light falling across his wavy black hair and ashen skin. He'd had a long day, and was going to have a long night too.
  “I'm sorry,” Kibum apologised, finally dragging his hands away from his face, cheeks glistening with tears, “it's just- it's just-“ He choked on his words as he attempted to speak, his hyung confused but not willing to push Kibum.
“I just really thought I had a chance.” Kibum curled his legs up and buried his head in the pillow, Jinki’s hand finally dropping from his shoulder.
“A chance with what?” he questioned, not forcefully, rather like an invitation.
  Kibum shook his head, and spluttered, “You wouldn't understand, hyung. Nobody would.”
  “Hey, don't paint us all with the same brush,” Jinki tried, nudging Kibum kindly. “I'd never judge you, Kibum, you can trust me. I'm your brother, not a silly journalist or publicity writer, or whatever. Just... Please, tell me what's wrong, it's upsetting me not knowing.”
  Kibum looked up at Jinki, who looked tired, and rightfully so, for it was well past two in the morning, and Jinki had been busy with a hectic schedule all day. Kibum almost felt guilty.
“Jinki,” he murmured, voice a waver, “what... What I tell you, you can't tell anyone, alright? Not- Not even the others. This is between me and you, okay?”
Jinki nodded.
“Of course, Kibum, you know I won't say a word. What's up, eh?”
  Kibum looked away, already feeling the blush seep into his cheeks. He clutched the pillow tightly, trying to figure the best way to depart his feelings without sounding irrational.
“I... I think I'm... I think I'm in love.”
  Jinki backed away slightly, lips tugging into a smile, before Kibum continued through his tears, “Well, actually, I- I know I'm in love, but...”
  As he trailed off, Jinki asked, “Do I know the lucky lady?”
  This was it. Kibum swallowed heavily and released the pillow, clenching his fists instead and blinking back the oncoming wave of tears. Locking eyes with Jinki, he confessed, “Hyung, it isn’t a lady.”
  Jinki’s eyes widened.
  "See?” Kibum groaned, “I knew you wouldn’t understand! People don’t... They don’t... It isn’t... It's not right. I'm not right.”
“No, no,” Jinki interjected, “don’t say that, Kibum. So what if it isn't a woman, who am I to tell you that’s wrong? Love is love. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Just... Who is it?”
  Relief somewhat blossomed in Kibum’s gut, proliferating through him so that he cracked a weak smile and muttered, “Don't worry, it's not with you.”
  Jinki let out a mock sigh and jokingly stated, “Oh, thank God, I was worried for a minute. Who is it then?”
  Kibum looked away.
  "Is it one of the others?”
  Kibum looked down.
  “Is it?”
  Kibum nodded.
  Jinki allowed the news to register, before prompting,   "Who?”
  "Jinki,” Kibum stated, turning fully to face his best friend, his brother. “I think I'm in love with Jonghyun.”
  Slowly, Jinki’s expression turned from seriousness, to a small grin, and then a whole-hearted smile, that warmed his features as if he were a proud father.
“Why are you smiling?” Kibum questioned, slightly aggravated. “There's nothing to smile at!”
  "Yes there is, my best friends are in love.”
  "No, we're not,” Kibum argued, “I love him. We? We aren’t in love.”
  "Are you sure?”
  Kibum just stared, struck dumbly by Jinki’s final question as his hyung stood.
“I'm heading to bed,” Jinki muttered, “because it's late. I'm leaving early in the morning so I doubt I'll see you before the weekend, so... Have a nice few days.”
  “Jinki, wait!” Ki
Please log in to read the full chapter