Mob 35: The Groove

Gangs of Itaewon

A late update, so a longer chapter for you all!

Enjoy!


[-]

  Dara stepped out of her front yard, refreshed after a night of sleep and threw a glance at the man who lightly pushed himself off the walls of her fence upon seeing her. 

 

  Day after day, rain or shine, it's the same. Jiyong has been walking her to and from work for the entire past two weeks.

 

  She tried lots of ways to get rid of him: She'll ignore his presence but he doesn't seem to mind. She'll yell at him to leave her alone, but he'll only keep a distance to let her cool down by walking on the other side of the road. In the first few days that he started this antics, Dara even went as far as to take a cab even though it didn't make sense since the boutique is only that far away from Gram's home. This method seemed to work, but alas she had to abandon it when the fees started to strain on her meagre salary.

 

  Jiyong always has his annoying ways of making her talk to him.

 

  "Stop following me around, Jiyong." Dara said in exasperation when she sees him after she knocked off yet again.

 

  "Just a gut feeling that you might want this." Jiyong called out behind her, successfully grabbing her attention. To her horror and delight, the Dragon was raising a burger in his hand, his eyes twinkling with a playful light. How on earth did he found out that she hasn't eaten in the entire day?

 

  "I'm not hungry, you can have it." Dara silently cursed her pride as she forced her head to turn back around. Her tummy rumbled in resistance.

  

  "Pity, looks like it's going in the trash then."

 

  "What?" That's it. He can't be serious about throwing actual FOOD away. "Why would you do that?" She hissed, but her feet was already bringing her to the burger. Screw dignity and pride. Saving the burger is her utmost priority.

 

  "Don't really fancy fast food like this." Jiyong was wearing a triumphant smirk on his lips as Dara snatched the food off his hand.

 

  "Then don't buy it, do you know how many starving people there are out there?" She muttered while marching away, trying very hard to hide that embarrasing wave of exhilaration that's trembling from her fingertips to her chest. KYA!! BURGER!!!

 

  She's frightened of becoming used to having Jiyong beside her again. But unconsciously, he's breaking through her guards, and seeing his back view while he waits for her is slowly turning from a pain in the neck to a habit.

 


 

   The fading of the sunlight also meant the fading of heat. Wintry air swirled as evening descended on the street, which responded by lighting all of the street lamps. Jiyong pulled his coat close and tucked his chin into his pullover. There was a fresh slash wound under his sleeve which he attained in a stand off with some rouge mobs after he sent Dara off to work that morning. But ofcourse they didn't manage to foil the Mafia's plans. He just didn't want Dara to see it. Even though she'll pretend not to care, he can see that gleam of worry whenever a new injury appears on his skin. 

 

  Sensing someone looking at him, the young mobster looked up just in time to see Dara craning her neck to get a view at him. Upon meeting his eyes, she immediately snapped her head away, busying herself with the cashier on the counter. A smile tugged at the corner of his lips as he gazed quietly at her. He hates and love spending time like this; doing nothing and just waiting for her to knock off. But time always seem to pass so damn slowly. It wouldn't be in another twenty minutes before she can finally head home. 

 

  "Hey there," There was a small tap on his shoulder, causing him to turn. A girl in uniform from the bank opposite Dara's boutique was standing behind him with a bright smile. "isn't it cold out here?" 

 

  "I'm waiting for someone." 

  

  "While waiting do you mind if I buy you a cup of coffee? Your hands are freezing." She gushed, placing her hand on top of his. 

 

  "My girlfriend is probably looking at us now." Jiyong answered calmly, nodding his chin towards the direction of the boutique as a small smirk formed on his face without even looking up. The girl from the bank muttered a flustered apology before scurrying away. Only then did he lifted his vision for Dara, but she had disappeared from the counter. A frown appeared on his forehead as he scanned the entire shop for her before his handphone started to ring, diverting his attention.

 

  "Jiyong," It was Youngbae. "We found the security guard who was on duty in the HQ that night the cleaning lady was murdered. He's dead."

 

  The creases on the Underboss's head deepened. "Where did you find him?" He asked, lifting his eyes distracted to look for Dara again without success. 

 

  "Under Mapo Bridge. You need to come. We have to move him before the cops find the body."

 

  "I'll be there." Jiyong answered, swiftly hanging up the phone. With time pressing on him, he craned his neck to search for Dara again, but she's still not visible from sight. Reluctantly, he tore his gaze away from the store and got onto his bike before speeding off for the bridge.

    


[DARA]

 
  I drummed my fingers on the counter before glancing at the wall. Gah! Is the clock spoiled? Why isn't it moving at all?

 

  Bom was humming a tune as she swirled around the racks, taking down the serial number from each piece of merchandise while Judy is behind in the store, doing god knows what. I stole a peek outside the store. Jiyong has been outside for half an hour already (P.S: I'm not keeping track).

 

  Small clouds of mist was forming in front of his lips every time he breathes. It must be cold out there.

 

  I stretched to get a better look at him. He's wrapped in a long black coat that falls to his knees. His arms were folded across his chest, wearing a white turtleneck pullover. Psh. It's not my fault if he catches a cold out there. He should be finding shelter where it isn't so chilly. 

 

  Somehow, I was getting impatient to get off work.

 

  My eyes flickered to Jiyong again only to see him staring back. Freak! I almost dived under the counter instinctively but I dug my head around the cashier instead. It'd be humiliating if he saw me looking at him. He's not going to let it rest. GAH!!! Calm down Dara Park, maybe he didn't see it, maybe he didn't see it.

 

  I recounted our entire revenue of the day twice while trying to hypnotise myself with that assurance. But guess what I saw when I finally mustered the courage to take another stealthy look outside? That douchebag is actually in a conversation with Heather who works in the bank opposite our shop. Now Heather is a famed coquette in the district, I tell you. She's got a pair of invincible bosom that NO MAN can resist. PLUS, Bom and I eventually stopped having our lunch at the pasta house down the street because she would be there everyday, fishing for new prey. 

 

  He's actually answering her!

 

  As if the Coquette unleashing her art of verbal flirting on him isn't bad enough, she actually gripped his hand! The nerve! I had to fight the urge to charge out there to drag her in here where me and Bommie can shred her into pieces and rid this town of her evil aura. Without withdrawing his hand, Jiyong said something to her before his lips curled into a small simper. Whoa, can this douchebag get anymore obvious about enjoying this?

 

  There was a tight knot in my stomach as I abandoned the cashier to go into the storage room. This is ridiculous, why should I be pissed that the human fox is unleashing her power on Kwon Jiyong? She probably doesn't know the kind of world she's going to get herself into. I'd be surprised if she actually last a day with all the guns-and-bullet crap that surrounds him. It's just nauseating to see her making her move on someone I know, with them tugging on each other's hands and all. 

  

  "Hey Dara, I have a favour to ask you." Judy muttered, seemingly searching for something. Upon hearing this, Bom stepped in and hastily pulled me out into the shop.

 

  "Whatever she says, reject it!" Bom whispered to my ear in a hushed tone. "Don't forget we're celebrating you getting your dream job in the club later, you can't afford to work overtime AGAIN."

  

  "But how?" I breathed back between my gritted teeth, trying hard to keep my volume low.

 

  "Oh, I don't know, Dara Park. Maybe just say a big fat NO?" Bommie rolled her eyes at me, exasperated. Just then, Judy came out from the store with her Gucci bag slung on her arm. So that's what she was looking for. Why? Is she going to leave early again? She was supposed to take the night shift.

 

  "You'll have to replace me for the night shift tonight, Dara." Judy said, faking embarrassment as she bit on her lips. THERE, I KNEW IT.

 

  From the corner of my eyes, I could see Bom groaning in silence. How should I do this??

 

  "But I took over your night shift yesterday... and the day before." I started hesitantly. 

 

  "I know, but tonight's reallyyyyyy important for me. You wouldn't mind." She smiled coyishly, adjusting the strap on her bag.

 

  "I... I mind!" I mustered up all my accumulated courage before saying it. "I have something on tonight, Judy."

 

  "Come on, Dara." Judy exhaled, the tone of her voice changing from the sweet one to one that's laced subtly with authority. "I'm your manager."

 

  I blinked. Was that a threat? After all the late nights that I've took over for her?

 

  Judy squeezed an apologetic smile at my bewildered expression before starting to make her way towards the door. Bom growled in anger, ready to take the position of an overprotective best friend when I grabbed a pen and a paper off the counter, and scribbled two big words on the blank sheet before stuffing it into an envelope.

 

  "Wait!" I called out. Judy turned around, and I pushed the envelope into her hand. 

 

  "What's this?" She demanded.

 

  "My resignation letter."

 

  Her jaw fell as she tore her eyes away from me to unfold my paper. I stood my ground, trembling in both anger and nervousness. 

 

  On the paper were the words, in capital letters, ' I QUIT. '

 

  "Are you serious?" Judy broke out a shocked laugh, glaring at me. 

 

  I tipped my chin up awkwardly, pulled back my shoulders and took a deep breath. "Yes. Thank you and goodbye." I declared, trying very hard to keep my voice steady before I stormed off to grab my bag. My heart almost fell out of my throat the moment I turned my back away from her.

 

  Holy Cow, I've never felt this badass in my life!

 

  "Well look, it's seven. I'm done for the day too. Bye Judy!" Bom announced quickly, gathering her stuff before following me out of the shop, leaving our stunned manager standing rooted to her spot.

 

  "Oh my god Dara, you looked so freaking cool!" Bom spazzed, shaking my shoulders as soon as we stepped out of the boutique. 

 

  "Tell me I didn't just fired my job." I muttered, still in a daze of what I've done in a moment of anger. "Holy crap Bom, I'm a rebel." I whispered, feigning a look of enlightenment as Bom reflexively opened in an exaggerated look of shock before breaking into a soprano, as if there's lights crowning my head.

 

  "Wait till I tell Donghae about it. He's never going to believe you did that." Bom gushed in excitement. "Did you see her face? I was like please, I bet she..." 

 

  Bom went on and on and but I was distractedly looking around for Jiyong. He's usually here when I knock off, but he's nowhere to be seen today... There was an unpleasant sinking feeling in my chest. He couldn't really have ran away with that Heather, can he?

 

  "So are you ready to partayyyy?" Bom squealed, skipping two steps in front of me before twirling herself around with her arms outstretched. Did I ever mentioned that my best friend is a public embarrassment?

 

  Yeah, whatever. I'll enjoy my life with or without that douchebag!

 


[-]

 

  The pavement under the bridge was forlorn in the cold waves. Under the grey sky the water was dark without the speckles of light and the wood that made up the narrow road was closer to black than brown. Usually, this remote spot would have been deserted, but tonight it was strained under the feet of a dozen men clad in black suits. Under the pale moonlight was a corpse fished out of the water, almost devoid of colour and pitted by burrowing insects. The milky eyes stared into the frozen sky while the lifeless mouth hung open.

 

  Jiyong glanced up at Daesung, who nodded grimly, aknoledging the identity of the body. The Underboss shut his eyes, his mind in deep thoughts before he reopened them. With a jab, he got through the line to the Don through his in-ear headphones and reported the situation to him in a low voice.

 

  Seunghyun gestured at their waiting subordinates. Swiftly, the men moved up to whisk the body away, erasing any traces that it has ever been here.

 

  "This guard is probably the only witness that saw who was the assailant in the HQ that night." Youngbae said quietly. 

 

  "Whoever it is, aren't they getting a little too audacious to be openly taking out our people like that?" Daesung commented. From the cleaning ahjumma to the security guard... at this rate they'll start killing official made men soon.

 

  "This is just the beginning." Jiyong concluded as the call ended. "What do you think, Seungri? Is this the cue for us to declare war on the Immortal Angels?" 

 

  The Maknae, who has been silently staring at the river waters almost jumped when his name was suddenly called, to realise that his brothers are all looking at him. 

 

  "Isn't it a little too hasty to decide? We don't have concrete evidence." The youngest answered. 

 

  "Who else would've dared to attempt a stunt like this? From poisoning Ghost's father to crashing Jiyong's vehicle... you're usually not this indecisive with your analysis." Seunghyun frowned.

  

  "Yeah, what's wrong, Seungri?" Daesung echoed, looking perplexed as well. 

 

  The Maknae was about to open his mouth when Jiyong cut across everyone.

 

  "Seungri's right, lets not be hasty about this." He announced with finality, walking back to where his motorbike was parked. "Afterall, when did Brains ever fail us?" He winked at the stunned youngest, placing his helmet over his head before driving off, leaving a trail of smoke behind.

 

  

  The motorway is grey and muggy. The rain has been falling for over three hours, making the road glossy and slippery. Jiyong stepped hard on the accelerator. It's almost ten. There's no way Dara would still be working, but there's no harm taking a look. He wondered if she realised he wasn't there.

 

  True enough, just like every other store along the street, the lights to the boutique was shut with a clear 'CLOSED' sign hanging on the door. A small smile formed on his lips as he laughed silently at his own stupidity. He struck the kickstand off with his foot and prepared to head for her house when his phone started to ring.

 

  "What's the occasion, Mad Dog?" Jiyong said, picking up the phone, his voice reverting back into the persona of the cold, authoratative Mafia Underboss. On the other end of the line was the boss of the Ravagers, a small-size gang associated with the Mafia.

 

  "There's something I should tell you, Boss. One of my men spotted your woman in one of our clubs." The man called Mad Dog reported.

 

  "My woman?" Jiyong's senses are awake now. "How would you know my woman?"

 

  "It's the lady you that came with you for the Biannual Dinner Gala in Jeju this year."

 

  Dara. Why would she be in a club?

 

  "Where?" Jiyong demanded immediately, kicking start his engines.

 

  "The Groove."

 

  Jiyong cussed, ending the call as he sped off into the night again. Of all places, she has to go to the Groove. The Ravagers are known to run nightclubs and bars that look normal on the surface. In reality, they're filled with all sorts of people either carrying out small scale drug deals or looking for preys. Just the thought of anyone in there brushing past her makes him sick with worry. 

 

  Finally he reached the The Groove right outside of Itaewon. It's hard to navigate in the cramped, small club. He treaded sideways past a few party goers, sparing a glance at a bespectacled man that seems to be tipping something into a glass of champagne. In the darkness and the flashing lights he searched the entire place for Dara, but it was simply too crowded. Not even Bom seemed to be in sight. Could they have already left?

 

  Eventually, he managed to squeeze himself out of the dance floor, frustrated and distressed. He was about to whip out his phone to punch on her number when his eyes finally fell on her, standing near the bar wearing a tight looking skirt, looking just like a lost sheep.

  

  She wasn't alone, but it wasn't Bom that was beside her. Instead, she was chuckling heartily at something that some guy standing in front of her said. The guy laughed along with her before offering her the drink that he was holding. His face turned slightly as he surveyed the club, and with a jolt Jiyong recognised he was the some guy that he bumped into, the one that wore glasses.

 

  Dara's lips were just about to touch the delicious looking glass of champagne when it was suddenly snatched out of his grip. She turn and fell open in shock. Jiyong!

 

  Without a word, he held out the glass to the four-eyes. 

 

  "Drink it." Jiyong deadpanned.

 

  Looking flabbergasted, the man turned to Dara. "Is he your friend?"

  

  "I said drink it." Jiyong repeated in a commanding tone.

 

  "What are you doing? You're scaring him!" Dara hissed, dragging Jiyong back by his arm. The poor guy looks so confused and offended right now. Come on, he just wanted to buy her a drink, for goodness sake!

 

  The man threw a disconcerted look, swearing under his breath about lunatics as he disappeared into the crowd. Jiyong growled, making a move to get him back when Dara tugged onto the sleeve of his coat, staring angrily at him.

 

  "Care to explain anything about ruining other people's night?" She asked, looking incredulously at him. 

 

  "Why the hell are you here? Any idea what you would have drank?" Jiyong snapped back, obviously furious. Dara blinked at him in disbelief. Now he's yelling at her for no reasons at all.

 

  "The same reason why everyone else is here, for fun! So now I can't hang out with Bom anymore?" Her voice is rising as well. "I told you to stop following me, why are you doing this on purpose?"

 

  "I didn't follow you home today and this is the kind of place you went to!" It was turning into a full-blown shouting match.

 

  "This is ridiculous..." Dara groaned in frustration. "I don't even know why I'm fighting with you here, Jiyong. With all due respect, who are you to tell me where I should and should not go? You were the one who told me to get back with my own life! Don't you think, even in the slightest bit, that it's so damn selfish of you to leave and barge into my life like it's a freaking motel?"

 

  "Damn it, Dara. This would've been a ing disaster if I never came. You would've drank this without even knowing what it is. He spiked it, Park. You'll be out in five minutes and you and I both know what's going to happen next."

 

  "This is a disaster!" Dara shouted, her chest clenching as tears sprang behind her eyes in anger. "It's just a champagne he bought for himself! Stop this, Jiyong. Just stop. I don't know what we are, but I know what we are not. I don't want to do this anymore. Can you please just leave me alone?"

 

  Her shoulders were heaving from the outburst as she glared hard at him. Jiyong was staring back at her, infuriated as well. He tightened his fist, then in a single swallow, he drained the entire content of the glass into himself.

 

  "I don't believe this..." Dara rubbed her forehead, burying her face into her palms in annoyance as she sat down on one of the high chairs. Where the hell is Bom? It feels like all of her mood to have fun had been cleanly obviated. "You can hold hands with someone else right outside my boutique and I can't even have a drink..." She muttered.

 

  Jiyong was silent, but he was listening. Without a word, he took the seat beside her.

 

  "Where were you just now?" Dara asked, glancing at the same coat that he wore just now outside her boutique too. There was a muted splash of happiness in his chest. So she did realise he was missing.

 

  "I had things to settle." Jiyong answered.

 

  "Right." Dara murmured grudgingly. Who's actually going to believe this? "Are you really becoming a stalker? How did you find me here?" She demanded, raising a hand to try and catch a bartender's attention. With all this drama going on, she thinks she does need a booze after all.

 

  Jiyong whistled, successfully getting noticed by the bartender, who upon seeing him immediately came over with a glass of cocktail which Jiyong pushed over for Dara. 

 

  "Of course..." Dara grunted. Seeing how respectful the bartender is to Jiyong, he obviously knows who Jiyong is. "Your informants are everywhere."

 

  "Yeah, so don't try to hide from me. I'll find you anyway."

 

  Dara rolled her eyes, silently mimicking the way he talks with a caricatured expression. He smirked at her antics.

 

  "This is unfair, Jiyong. Why should I talk to you when you so mercilessly left me in the hospital even after I begged so hard for you to stay?" Dara asked quietly, and the smile on Jiyong faded. 

 

  She took a sip from the cocktail. It scorched . The anger in her was slowly ebbing away to be filled with a cross between sadness and resentment. Jiyong was saying nothing, just gazing quietly at her face.

 

  "Sometimes, I wonder if you reached out to me and begged for me to come back, what would I do. Would I let you back in? Would I ignore you just to hurt you like you hurt me, even though I'd be the one who end up crying at the end of the night?

 

  I'm trying to get over you, Jiyong. I'm trying so damn hard. Some mornings I wake up and I think, yes, maybe today I'm finally free. Free from my echoing thoughts of you. But other mornings I wake up and all I can think of is whether you're still bawling in that fight club and how you could've just woke up one day and decide that you don't love me anymore." She whispered, lost in her own world.  

 

  He reached out, wanting to run his hand down her hair but she shrank herself away from him.

 

  "I left not because you're a difficult person to love, Dara. I'm the difficult person. I can't handle the constant fear of being in love with you. I have a lot of enemies, and I can't imagine the things they'll do to you if they know how easily they can maim you just to crush me. It's just not worth it, Dara, for someone like you to get hurt just to get back at someone like me." He said bitterly.

 

  "But I can't pull myself away from you. I know I'm a selfish bastard, and I shouldn't be back after devastating you like that. But I just can't help myself. I never stopped loving you, Park. I don't think I ever could. I only wished that I had said it earlier."

 

  There was a lump rising in as she listened to his words with her eyes casted on the countertop. The rawness in his voice made her lift her head slowly to look at him, but before she could see him properly, Jiyong leaned in and pressed his lips onto hers. His eyes were shut but it didn't hide the pain in his expression. She froze as if there was an ice coursing through her body, freezing her body from top down. 

 

  "What are you doing." Dara responded as soon as she snapped out of her shock, pushing him off her. But instead, he slumped over on the countertop with his head on his arm.

 

  Dara stared at Jiyong. This can't be true... Did the guy really spiked her drink? But he seems so friendly and nice...

 

  In a delirious state, the Underboss called out her name and grabbed her hand. There were small beads of sweat forming on Jiyong's forehead. Alarmed now, Dara clinched back onto his hand and tried to wake him, but nothing worked. 

 

  "Jesus Christ..." Dara panted as she finally managed to heave him out and into a cab. 

 

  Youngbae. That's right, she can call Youngbae!

 

  Realising that she doesn't have Youngbae's number, Dara fished out Jiyong's phone from his pocket. She groaned when she sees the lock screen.

 

  "What's your password, Jiyong?" She whispered. The cab driver is casting them an impatient look. She still hasn't told him where to drive to yet.

 

  "Hey, Jiyong! What's your password?" She asked again, this time loudly into his ears. He stirred feebly in his unconsciousness.

 

  "Your birthday..." He muttered, almost inaudible.

 

  Stunned, Dara keyed in the six digits of her birthday and his phone unlocked with a click. She turned her awestruck gaze to him, whose brows are knitted tightly in discomfort, and a gush of emotions welled up in her. But the driver was still waiting, and she has to make the call.

 

  Youngbae didn't pick up. Out of options and in danger of being chased out of the vehicle, Dara named a nearby hotel. Luckily enough for her, she has enough money and a nice bellboy even helped her to get Jiyong up to the room. He collapsed on the bed, and Dara busied herself with taking his shoes off. Then, she went into the bathroom and re-emerged with a damp towel, which she placed over his head. 

 

  "Dara..." 

 

  His hand was on her wrist again. 

 

  Dara stared at Jiyong's face and lay down on the spot beside him. He's right, what would've happened if he wasn't here tonight would've been unimaginable. Who would've known that innocent looking people are actually capable of having dangerous intentions like that?

 

  She lost track of how long she gazed at him, the face that she misses, loves and hates so much. He ended up in this state for her. And her mind is echoing with the words he said just now in the club. He has never poured out his feelings to her like that before.

 

  Sleepiness began to take over her. And slowly, her eyes lost focus on his face as she drifted off into darkness.

 

  Their hands were tightly grasped for the rest of the entire night.


#GangsofItaewon