Mob 29: He's a free man now!

Gangs of Itaewon

[-]

  The two parties sat across one another in stony silence. The atmosphere in bungalow number 7 remained as cold the same as the last time they 'visited'. The members of the White Traids stood behind their Vanguard, cautiously watching the Mafian's every move  despite no movements from the men clad in black. After a small, icy moment, their visitor, the Seoul Mafia's young Underboss slid a paper across the coffee table to the copper-hair Vanguard.

  Jiyong glanced around the room lazily, unaffected by the intimidating stares from the White Traids members, before opening his mouth.

  "The Immortal Angels are still around. They're active again." He said, not bothering to take any detours from his main purpose of coming today. Small talks were never necessary with the Mafia's rivals, but his dislike for the Vanguard is somehow beyond just inheriting the traditional loath between the White Traids and the Mafia.

  The room broke into chaos as the White Traids reacted with shock and disbelief, only to be silenced when their Da Ge raised a hand into the air. Instantly, not another noise was made. Donghae leaned forward and rested his arms on his knees while he glanced skeptically at the report of the Mafia forensic team's analysis of a certain drug which the Dragon had just passed to him. 

  "A Mafia official was attacked. The poison used is the same one that the IA used years ago, their self-manufactured one that solidifies in the victim's airways when ingested." Solar said quietly behind the Dragon. 

  "Weren't you shot a while ago?" Jiyong asked. "Have you guys figured out who attack you? It could be the Immortal Angels."

  "Let's say they're really back, why would you warn us?" 

  "The Mafia wants an alliance."

  The hushed whispers barely started when Jackson ordered their men to silence again. 

  "Leave us, let me talk to him privately." Donghae turned to his gang who complied and moved themselves upstairs. Jiyong nodded in response and the Untouchable team that tagged along him retreated outside the bungalow. 

  "Firstly, the White Traids are not going to shake hands with the Mafia unless we gathered enough evidence- our own evidence- that proves that the Immortal Angels are really back." Donghae began.

  "Secondly, even if you're right about their return, you should know that I do not have the authority to agree to any alliance offer. You've got the wrong man."

  "Then there's no point staying any further." Jiyong said smoothly.

  "Thirdly," Donghae increased his volume to halt Jiyong who's in the midst of getting up. "Don't get Dara into your Mafia . You know what the IA did before to those who were close to people like us." 

  A small fire erupted in Jiyong but he suppressed it. Why the hell is everyone trying to tell him what to do?

  "You're saying it as if the White Traids isn't being targeted by the IA." The Underboss retaliated. "I haven't even dealt with you for that being dumb enough to ing run into her home after being attacked. Do you know how dangerous it is to expose her location like that?"

  "If the White Traids is too dangerous for Dara, I can leave it behind for her." Donghae countered solemnly.

  "Dara is my woman, Lee. She's not your responsibility." Jiyong hissed as he shot to his feet, kicking the coffee table in front of them aside in agitation. 

  "If she gets even a scratch because of you, I'll shoot you myself." Donghae narrowed his eyes as well. This self centered bastard is going to be the death of Dara one day. 

  "You can save your bullets. She's not going to get hurt with me there." The underboss left the words behind and stormed out of the residence.

 


[DARA]

  "So you mean if you weren't there her dad would've died?" Bom whispered, aghast at the whole fiasco at Hani's residence.

  I nodded, the both of us sitting cross-legged on her bed. With whatever the drug that was that clogged his throat up, he would suffocate in minutes. I decided not to tell Bom that it was an attempted murder and that I almost swallowed the same poison as well to keep her from going into full-panic mode. She already looks appalled enough with Hani's father being the victim.

  "And that girl saw the whole thing?" She winced. "Damn, I feel bad for her even though she sounds like a to you all the time." 

  "Not all the time." I corrected her with a sigh, fiddling with Bom's nail clippers. "She has been sitting in the hospital for a day already, probably with an empty stomach." I murmured.

  We both fell silent. I recall the time where she made up an excuse to watch a movie with me, before the entire engagement deal started. I know that she build entire annoying, haughty persona to fortify herself from getting hurt by others, but I still couldn't help but to become irked by her a little from time to time. To think about it, we're actually similar in a number of ways. But even though I didn't have that much friends myself, I've got Bom and Donghae, whom I at least know would always be there.

  "Hmmm.. Maybe we should do something about it." Bom turned to me with a small, impish smile before she leaped off her bed to get to the kitchen. Within 20 minutes, she reemerged with a full metal tumbler.

  "Chicken soup." She declared, shoving it to me before jumping back onto the bed. "Take it to her."

  "Me?" I drew my head back in bewilderment. "She hates me."

  "But you said that princess is going on a day without being fed." Bom shrugged, nudging me with her toes. 

  I stared at her and the tumbler in my hands. Our lazy Bommie actually cooked just for her. While Bom cusses with a passion, she cares about others with the same ferocity too. 

  

  I got out of the house and stopped by to get a basket of fruits. It doesn't seem good to visit without anything for the patient himself. The ward was heavily guarded by people dressed in black suits. To other patients, they looked like bodyguards but those who know better would realize that the Mafia is involved. I haven't seen most of the faces there before because they're largely Soo Hyuk's men but there were a few familiar ones, Jiyong's subordinates who recognized me and allowed me through. 

  I saw Mr Lee on the hospital bed as soon as I stepped into the private suite. He was still unconscious but the straw that I used for the emergency tracheotomy was replaced with a proper medical tube. I stole a quick glance at the vital signs machines and everything seemed to be stable.  

  Hani is still wearing the same outfit that she wore yesterday when her father was rushed in with her hair a little untidy. Her small hands were grabbing onto her father's one and she was staring at him blankly until I came in, when she shifted her eyes to me. 

  "Hi." I said, breaking into an awkward smile. Her face remained expressionless and I quickly clamped my lips together. This is awkward. What else should I say???

  "Oh, I'm guessing that you haven't ate anything since yesterday and I got you something." I tried again, this time adopting a more cheery tone as I raised my hand that's carrying the tumbler and waved it a little. Still, her gaze was empty. Help!

  "Actually, I got your dad these fruits and my friend made this soup for you. You know Bom? She's the one that works with me at the boutique. I think you met her before." I'm actually just rambling now. "She's not that bad of a cook. It'll be horrible if I was the one that made it. My culinary skills would probably poison you-"

  GAHH! WHY WOULD I SAY THE WORD 'POISON' HERE?? I sealed my mouth shut as soon as I realized what I said while Hani blinked. 

  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to." I blabbered again, but she didn't seem to be affected by it. In fact, she looks exhausted already. I'm such a lousy speaker.

  "You know what, I'll just leave these here." I whispered, setting the stuff on my hands gently onto the table side while she followed me with her eyes. "He'll be fine, I'm sure. He'll wake within these two days." I reassured her, not sure whether she's willing to believe me or not. This monologue is getting harder to go on. "I guess I'm going to go now. Make sure you eat the food while it's uhm.. warm."

  Still, there was no response from her. But as I turned around to leave, a weak hoarse voice spoke. 

  "Don't go." She whispered behind me.

  A small drop of sadness and pity clouded my chest with the tone of her voice. I turned around and smiled again at her, this time pulling myself a chair to sit down. After I finally managed to convince her to start eating, I started babbling again to distract her from all the sad things she's feeling. It's called the 'you're-too-noisy,I-can't-even-be-depressed' technique that Bom uses on me every time I start mopping. Apparently, no matter how annoying it gets, it works.

  "Have you heard about the new amusement park? Not the old one by the pier. It's huge with every single ride you can imagine. It sounds childish but everyone in elementary school used to call me the dare devil because there isn't any rides in a park that I'm too afraid to go on." I said proudly. I think I'm slowly perfecting the art of having a monologue. I've talked about everything under the sun. My dad, to Bom, to horrible drama series and now to hobbies. But before I could continue, she opened .

  "I've thought it through."

  "Thought what through?" I asked, reeling my attention from that new park back to her.

  Hani's eyes were on the half drank bowl of soup, her fingers prodding with the spoon. "What you said about reliance and love. Maybe you're right, I just don't want anybody to take Jiyong oppa away from me because I didn't want him to stop loving me. He loves me but not in the way he loves you. Everyone at school hated me. Their moms all told them to stay away from me because they think I'm a girl that only brings trouble. The more powerful my brother grew, they more scared of me they became. This was my life until Jiyong oppa came." She said with a smile, as if that day is still painted vividly in her mind. "It was a weird day, you know. I remember my brother came home one day dragging Jiyong oppa to complain to dad that this random street kid beat him up. I was only ten then, looking at the entire fiasco through a crack from the door. But he saw me anyway, and he winked. From then on he was the only person that is willing to talk to me, to take me out for food. He was like a life buoy thrown to me and I clung onto him like crazy."

  The way she speaks of Jiyong with adoration lacing her voice sends dull, muted pain through my chest. Hani paused and smiled, finally lifting her head to look at me.

  "But he doesn't love me the way he loves you." She finishes, her eyes shining with tears.

  "Hani..." I whispered.

  She laughed emptily and dried her eyes. "It's over. I've lost. I'll go talk to the Don. He's my godfather. He won't make me marry someone that I don't want to marry."

  I blinked at her as my lips pulled apart. She's willing to cancel the engagement on her own free will? To let me and Jiyong be together?

  "Hani, I..." I trailed off, still in shock and a loss of words.

  "Well, do you want me to take back my offer?" She sniffled, her lips twisting into a bitter smile/

  "No. Of course not." I answered immediately. Geez, now I don't feel so bad anymore. "But.. thank you. And I've never thought of you as a competition.. so don't say you've lost."

  She adverted her gaze to her father. "I know I said that you won't be able to get used to our world." She sighed. "But you saved my dad's life. Who knows who you'll save next." 

  I fell silent as I contemplated her words. This whole poisoning affair has also showed me how dangerous the Underworld can get. Hani doesn't even know that my tea was spiked as well. Everything ended up the way it is now purely by a of luck. I know now that the danger here is very real. It can be anywhere, in any form. They don't always come in the form of gunshots and knife fights or open kidnappings. Your tea can kill you. Your servant can kill you. Even opening the door can kill you.

  "I'll like some time with my dad. Tell your friend that her soup was good, I drank it well." She said heavily, picking up her father's hand again. 

 

  I packed up the stuff and was all ready to leave before I turned around to look at her again. Saying thank you excessively was a little needless. Instead, I wrapped my gratitude within my prayers for her father. 

  "He'll get better soon." I convinced her again.

  She smiled back and nodded. "Come by often, Dara."

  

  I pulled the door of the suite shut behind me, my heart feeling so much lighter than it had felt in ages. I lingered my gaze at the close door in front of me for a moment as gush of warmth filled me. Everything seems to be back to normal now.

  I turned and took a step to leave, only to be stopped by the sight of Jiyong beside me, leaning against the wall of the ward with a faint smile plastered on his face. That scared me. When did he get here? Is it his duty to guard the ward as well?

  "Hi." He drawled, his lips twisting into a smirk as soon as I met his gaze.

  "Hello." I muttered, my cheek muscles automatically pulling up at the sight of him. What kind of sorcery allows him to look so good while doing absolutely nothing? I trailed my eyes down his lean but toned form that is curved in the most subtle manner with his upper back resting against the wall. Gahhh! The douchebag is getting more and more attractive. 

  "You didn't tell me you're coming." He said in a soft, reprimanding tone as he straightened his body. "I would've sent someone to fetch you." 

  Psh. I frowned and shook my head. "You don't have to, Jiyong. I'm fine by my own, as always. I thought Hani hasn't been eating so I bought some stuff here." I chirped, raising the empty tumbler in my hand. "She drank it all."

  Jiyong looked like he's trying hard not to smile as he stared adoringly at me, making me feel a little giddy with happiness. It's been a while since I've seen that look in his eyes when he looks at me. Fights, small ones and big ones were dotted across our conversations recently, and god I do miss that gaze in his eyes.

  "Mmhm." He nodded slowly, "And what did she say about me? Am I a free man to woo you full-time now?" 

  I blinked at him. "How long exactly have you been standing outside?"

  "Long enough to hear everything." He smirked, taking a step closer, halting just before he reached me to flash his guards a threatening look. Immediately, they turned their backs to us. 

  "You fought well for us." He muttered, pulling me into his arms. I inhaled deeply, taking in the faint scent of his cologne and rested my cheek on his chest. His bond with Hani is over. We can finally get our own happy ending now, right? 

  "Don't get tangled in engagements with other women anymore. I might not be able to fight them all off." I joked softly, earning a chuckle from him.

  "Oh I'll try." He said smugly as he tightened his arms around me. "Follow me, our nerd deserves a reward." Jiyong chirped mysteriously, letting me loose before grabbing onto my wrist.

 

  His Mercedes pulled over outside the bustling, new amusement park and I staggered out, unable to believe my eyes. How long exactly has this douche been eavesdropping on us? He even heard the part where I babbled to Hani about the theme park.

  "I thought you'd want to be here." He noted pointedly as he got out of the driver's seat, squinting in the sunlight. I nodded in enthusiasm, my mouth hanging stupidly open from happiness. 

  "Lets go!" I squeaked, dragging him by the arm as I made a full speed charge for the first ride that I see - the Twisty, a three-storeys high roller coaster. But before we could even reach the queue, Jiyong made a sudden break, the force strong enough to yank me back a few steps.

  "I'm only bringing you here. I never promised to go on anything with you." He warned, eyeing the ride warily. Immediately, I got it. Hah, the bulletproof Dragon from the Mafia... fears height?

  "Oh c'mon Jiyong, what would Daesung and Seungri say if they know you're scared of this?" I taunted. 

  "Don't push your luck, Dara." Jiyong hissed. 

  "I think I have their number..." I muttered as I rummaged through my sling bag for the phone. With a scowl, he snatched my hand out from the bag and started marching towards the queue. IT WORKED.

 

  Jiyong was barely able to stand stably when we got down from the metal platform. His face was pale but nonetheless he didn't utter a sound during the ride, let alone scream. There was an angry, red mark on my arm where he had grabbed onto during the ride but I was too busy laughing my off to notice it. 

  His mood brightened up after I convinced him to try out the shooting games at the carnival stalls. We went in a linear way, swooping a toy from each stall with just a penny. Once again he gained himself a following of teen girls who swooned over the way he looked when he took his aim, and I was busy trying to be everywhere at once, growling and blocking them from dripping their affection all over him. Possessive, I know. But he's all mine now. 

  By nightfall we climbed into an empty Ferris wheel car, and just before the doors closed I thought I spotted someone blonde in the queue staring up at us with a shallow smile on his face. I thought maybe he was just happy that he's one couple closer to getting his own ride, but with his eyes still on me, he slowly turned away and left the queue. Creepy. 

  Jiyong didn't seemed to have noticed the guy and was staring out of the glass wall of the carriage while tapping his feet leisurely. I turned to look at the people below us who's getting smaller and smaller, trying to spot that weird guy again but he's nowhere from sight. Oh well. 

  "I love this." Jiyong said quietly, his eyes still glued to the glass.

  "The view?" I raised a brow. I never liked Ferris Wheels. They move way too slow for my liking and its stuffy inside. 

  "No, this. Sitting here and doing nothing. With you." He drawled lazily, leaning back to his seat.

  Okay, I'm retracting what I said. I love Ferris Wheels. They're the best.

  I gazed out of the glass and watched as the huge park below us zoomed out into segments of bright colors. Today was great. It felt as if we were just like any other normal couple that I wanted us to be. Small street lamps dotted the ground and as we get high enough, dotted the night sky. The sight brought to mind that rainy night in the old amusement park by the pier, and a question suddenly popped up in my mind.

  "Remember that night in the rain... you asked me to keep those words until I'm sure of what I'm getting myself into..." I trailed off, recalling the recent events surrounding Mr Lee. "Do you think I've seen enough to know now?"

  I locked eyes with Jiyong whose lips pulled weakly into a sad smile as he gazed back at me silently.

  "I wish I can answer yes, but no, Park. This is just the beginning." He whispered softly.

  His words sent a small shock wave through me. The beginning? How much worse is it going to get? What else could be in store that it started off so horrifyingly?

  "Things are going to get more dangerous, Dara. Everyone is telling me that." He continued quietly, his eyes down casted on the bracelet on his wrist. Mindlessly, I brushed my fingers over the cool surface of the crystal beads on mine as well. "That's why I can't tie you to me. At least not officially." 

  "But danger will always be around if it's meant to be even if we try to distance ourselves away from it." I answered, leaning forward to take his hand into mine. "I'll watch my back, Jiyong, and I'll watch yours, too. Just focus on what's ahead. We'll be fine eventually."

  Jiyong winced and edged forward so that his face is now inches away from mine. "God, Dara. I can't ing wait to make you mine." He said hoarsely, leaning in to press his lips on mine, washing away the disturbing feeling that I have in my chest about the danger he mentioned. He pushed his tongue into my mouth and in the dimly lit carriage that's suspended midair, all I could hear beyond my closed eyes was the sound of our tongues slapping against each other and the way he's rubbing his hand up my back, sending a wave of sensations through my body. 

  "Jiyong, stop, we're on a freaking theme park ride." I panted, forcefully pulling myself away. The feelings that he triggered in my body is crazy, I'm not even sure what they were.

  "Bloody hell." He cursed himself as he punched his seat with his balled fist before putting some distance between us After a while, he released the arm that he used to cover his eyes and brought his gaze down on me again. "It's a torture to keep my hands off you, Dara."

  My face flushed and I clamped my lips shut to stop myself from squealing. This doesn't make sense. Why does he get to say that when he's the one who has all the girls gawking over him?

 


[-]

  Dara was looking out of the car window, staring at the street that flew past them as Jiyong drove. It's a long day instead, and she went through the day's events through her head, especially her afternoon with at the hospital. 

  He loves me, but not the way he loves you.

  Recalling Hani's words brought a small smile to her face. She didn't know what to feel. Feeling relieved makes her feel insensitive to Hani's emotions. She can't exactly say she's sorry or grateful either, because love isn't about a show of comity and good will. Her only hope is that Hani has really thought it through her decision to withdraw from the engagement not out of spite but for the best.

  "Dara."

  "Hmm?"

  "Is your seatbelt fastened?" Jiyong asked plainly, not tearing his eyes off the street.

  "Yeah." Dara answered lazily. Turning around to look back out of the window. "But you shouldn't be speeding even if it is."

  The streets weren't just flying past now. They're literally almost in a blur.

  "Slow down." Dara said, pivoting her body back to the front. "Slow down, Jiyong."

  From Jiyong's side profile, Dara could see his jaw hardened his eyes still trained on the road. The car was driving over the speed limits now, and an unsettling atmosphere was filling the small space. For some unknown reasons, Dara's heart started to race as adrenaline filled her system.

  "Ji-Jiyong?" She called out, her voice unsteady this time. Something's definitely not right. "What's wrong?"

  He swallowed, his adam apple hitching up.   

  "Someone tampered with the brakes." He said quietly.

  "What?" Her voice was strangled as she felt her breath getting shorter and shorter. She turned her fear-filled eyes to the road in front of her and clutched her seatbet closer to her chest in fright.

  "Don't be scared, the airbags are working, Dara." Jiyong was starting to speak at a faster pace as he skillfully tried to avoid everything in his path.

  Her heart felt like it was going to burst out of her chest as their speed kept on increasing. Fear was drowning out every honk she hears from the road and all she could think of is whether they are going to flip over from driving so fast. Tears were springing behind her eyes but she stopped herself from making any sounds for she knows that Jiyong badly needs to concentrate. She can't distract him now.

  Oh god, please help us... She begged silently, her hand still on her seatbelt as she turned her head to peep out of the window. But what she saw made her heart went still for a split second before she screamed.

  "!"   Jiyong only saw what she saw a fraction of a second later. A small red car was charging towards their direction from outside the passenger seat. Jiyong swerved the car around, but it was too late. The red vehicle rammed right into them with an ear splitting crash and everything in front of Dara's eyes swirled before turning completely black. 

 


Cliffhanger!!