Mob 24: The New Underboss

Gangs of Itaewon

 

Dedicating this chapter to lovely Airin
who never fails to make me smile with her wonderful comments 
that she leaves after every update.
Happy belated birthday again!
XOXO

 


[-]

  "I can't believe I'm alive to see this day." Seungri let out a dry sob, dabbing at the imaginary tears from the corner of his eyes. "Today's the day where I either stick with you for life or leave you."

  Leave him? Jiyong, who's arranging his neck tie in front of the mirror glanced quizzingly at the Maknae. His team was already dressed. This is one of the rare days where the boys actually sent their suit for to be pressed and starched. It is a big occasion, after all.

  "He means if you're the next Underboss, he'll be loyal to you for life, but if you walk out of the HQ still a Capo, both him and I are going to pledge our allegiance to Ghost." Daesung kindly took up the explaining job, patting his leader on the shoulder.

  A small smirk formed on the Underboss-candidate's lips. With a hand, he grabbed an ash tray on the mantelpiece and flung it at the direction of the chuckling duo, before it was swiftly intercepted mid air, by Seunghyun, who grinned. "Sorry, Jiyong. Me too."

  "Unloyal bastards." Jiyong cursed under his breath while shaking his head, before turning around. "Ready to roll?"

 


 

  Dara tapped her feet lightly, craning her neck to see if Youngbae is here yet once in a while. She was sitting on the bench that's right out her grandma's house, just opposite the street. It's the day of Jiyong's supposed promotion, or 'Coronation' ceremony, as what the Mafians would call it. 

  It's hard to exactly pin point what she's feeling. On one hand, she can hardly contain her excitement for the event that Jiyong had asked her to go as 'his woman'. She didn't really knew what the term meant in his dimension, but it sure sounds like he wanted her to go as his person, and just that alone is enough to make her feel giddy with happiness.

  On the other hand, she's nervous as hell. Her? To an official Mafia ceremony? Although there was the Gala Dinner before, this was something else; an event that will determine the future of the entire organization.

  Jiyong didn't say much, but Dara knew Jiyong wanted the underboss position. She doesn't want him to be let down; but her mind kept repeating Donghae's warning. Trying to leave the Mafia would probably cost Jiyong his life. Would becoming the Underboss further tie him down to the organisation? What if things get out of hand? Would she be able to give everything up and resign to the violent Underworld for him?

  Unbeknownst to her, the vintage Chevrolet had already made a turn down in her street and broke into a sudden stop infront of her, leaving a trail of smoke and dust behind. Instead of Youngbae, it was the two youngest of the Untouchables that got off the car, much to Dara's surprise. 

  "Hello, socks-with-heels." Seungri echoed.

  "Hop on. We're your escorts for today." Daesung chuckled. 

  


 [DARA]

  Dayummmmmm.

 The venue where the ceremony was to take place in is a huge, grand hotel that the Mafia runs. Among the many guards stationed around the lobby for this occasion, I spotted Mino, who discreetly winked at me. So this kid really ended up joining the gang. I wonder if Grams know about it.

  I had no idea that the Mafia actually have such a luxurious, successful empire under their belt. But according to Seungri, the hotel and the casino isn't the only business venture that the Mafia does. They operate a chain of other legitimate trades such as a financial institution, a resort and even the collection and auctioning of rare works of art.

  As I was busy marveling at the different paintings that probably cost more than my life, I caught sight of Hani, who's wearing a soft champagne velvet dress, conversing with her brother Soo Hyuk, dressed sharply in a wine colored suit. Hani looked up and we locked eyes. For a moment, it seemed as if she was momentarily elated before she quickly switched back to her usual aloof expression as she nodded at me in acknowledgement.

  We arrived outside a set of closed doors. Before I had a chance to properly scrutinise the area, there was a deep whisper beside my ear.

  "Look who's here." 

  I spun around immediately upon the voice, already unable to hide the huge smile on my face. Jiyong was standing behind me with his arms folded behind his back, his lips twisting in a way like he's fighting not to smile as he gazed down at me. He just looks so good in a suit and tie, and my heart skipped a beat when I spotted our couple bracelet on his wrist. He's wearing it even for this!

  "Hello princess." He smirked.

  "Hi douchebag." I murmured as we smiled at each other like two idiots, before we were joined by a man that I've never seen before.

  "Consigliere." Jiyong said, bowing his head as he turned around, hiding me behind him. The man who was staring peculiarly at me appeared young, no more than thirty five. Behind him was his own entourage of guards. I've heard from Jiyong that the Consigliere is a position that's above him, an important one which guides and advices the Don, the leader of the entire Mafia Organisation. 

  "It's Dara, isn't it? The damsel to our Caporegime." The Consigliere spoke directly to me, looking slightly bemused. A look from this and one would know that he certainly isn't someone to cross. His eyes felt like they could unravel even my deepest thoughts.

  "Wanting to be with a Mafia Official will prove to be challenging." Daniel continued in a chortle, his arupt words starling both me and Jiyong. Somehow, it sounded like a highly disturbing warning. 

  "Hyung." Jiyong opened his mouth as he pulled me behind me distractedly, his face wearing a frown that was a mixture of confusion and offense. 

  I swallowed at the scene of how Jiyong was staring at his superior in a slightly annoyed manner and squeezed his arm behind him to let him know that it's okay. 

  Daniel shook his head with a soft chuckle. "I'll see you both later." He sighed, before lifting up a hand to wave to me. A little unnerved, I returned a faint smile.

  As soon as the advisor of the organisation has entered the venue, Jiyong turned to me.

  "Maybe I shouldn't have brought you here." He said quietly, his eyes fixated on his thumb that was absentmindedly on my hand before lifting them up to meet my eyes grimly.

  "It's fine." I smiled at him, reaching out adjust his crooked tie. We'll be fine. I assured myself, ignoring the ghost of the warning that the advisor, supposedly the wisest of the Mafians, left behind. We'll be alright.

  His tight expression finally loosened up as the corner of his lips arched up as well, before he untucked his hand that was in his pocket and spreaded his arms.

  "Hug me." 

  "Is that a demand?" I teased, folding my hands together as I took a small, playful step back. That's for hurting my ego outside my house that day. 

  Jiyong shrugged and lowered his arm unaffectedly, as if it doesn't bother him that he had just been rejected. He turned around and arranged his suit before starting towards the ceremonial room. Psh. Fine. I rolled my eyes and adjusted my own attire as I prepared to enter the ceremony behind him. I had barely taken two steps when Jiyong spun around suddenly and trapped me in his arms.

  "I always get what I want." He whispered smugly, resting his chin on my shoulder. The scent of his body soap hits my nose and I relented, snuggling myself closer into his chest. Ahh, I love his smell. I love the warmth on his chest.

  "Tyrant." I complained with a hint of a smile. Even though I couldn't see his face, I knew he would've smirked at this. "All the best, Jiyong." I said softly. In response, his arms around me tightened. 

  "I'll see you after." He said, pulling himself away from me. Behind him, his sworn brothers have just arrived with his band of subordinates. "Guard her." He commanded in a complete change of tone to the approaching army.

  "Do you really have to say it?" Seungri mocked, sniggering. "We'll take care of her real good." 

  Jiyong snarled softly at the taunting Maknae before turning his gaze to me. I nodded and he returned a pressed smile before taking the path into the ceremony hall.

  "Lets go Dara." Youngbae's voice pulled my eyes away from the door where Jiyong had just disappeared into. "We'll be upstairs. The first floor here is for the elders."

  
  The view from the second floor is superb. A single, large bulletproof glass surrounds the entire, circular watchbox so that we can see the events downstairs in clear perfection but the people there wouldn't be able to see us. It's like one of those police lineup identification glass in movies. I wonder how it feels to be downstairs, making a speech and seeing no one but the few handful of people in front of you while being fully aware that the entire criminal syndicate is in the same venue watching. I suppose the one-way mirror isn't there to help deal with the stress of public speaking, though. Daesung told me that because the Don of the family rarely shows himself, it was required for security purpose. 

  There he was, Jiyong, who's sitting beside Soo Hyuk. I could only see the back of his head, but my lips broke into a small smile instantly. Along with them downstairs was some Mafia Officials whom I don't recognise, Hani, who was absentmindedly scrolling through her phone as if her brother isn't going about to be promoted, as well as Daniel. 

  The whispers and the fidgeting died down immediately as a man whom I've never seen before took the small platform in the middle of the rosewood, circular hall. His hair was silver colored which was pulled back slickly, looking aged but still formidable. With his hands on a walking cane that has a ivory sculpted eagle on the top, the man with a small, well groomed mustache took the stage. 

  All around me, the Mafians have straightened their backs even though they knew that the Don couldn't see them from there. 

  "A very good evening, brothers." The Don spoke, the baritone of his voice reverberating through the entire hall, reminding me of the power and command that he has.

  The Don proceeded to give a speech about Soo Hyuk and Jiyong's history in the Mafia, their accomplishments over the years and how they rose through the ranks. The Don then reiterated something that I didn't know about, about blood oaths and the importance of loyalty. He then ended the speech with the word that's tattooed across Jiyong's heart. Famiglia.

  "The position of the Underboss is a crucial one in the family, only tantamount to the position of the Consigliere, who have the power to directly influence the decisions I make. An Underboss is not just a second in command, but a leader that should be prepared to take on the responsibility of all of our brothers." The elder said in all seriousness.
 

  Jiyong and Soo Hyuk took their places on the stage and for the first time since I stepped into this hall, I can see him clearly in full-view. Jiyong's face was blank, devoid of any emotions as he glanced briefly at the audience beyond the bullet proof glass which he cannot see. The Consigliere went on the platform with a solemn expression as the announcer of the next Underboss. The air in the entire hall became thick as every single member of the Mafia held their breath. Subconsciously, I had begun to knot my fingers together as my pulse began to beat unbearably loud.

  Another Mafia member with a arm band embroided with the Mafia's symbol went up and handed the Consigliere a small, diamond encrusted dagger that is wrapped in a red velvet cloth with both hands. Daniel lifted his eyes to meet the anticipating crowd before he stepped forward and...

  That dagger was presented to Jiyong.

  Silence followed. 

  Jiyong is the new Underboss...

  I edged closer to the glass, my eyes tranfixed on the man on the stage below, who slowly lifted his gaze to meet with the Consigliere, who smiled and nodded at him. 

  The hall erupted into loud cheers and applause. Behind me, the Untouchables were in a state of insane joy, creating a ruckus. I should be happy for him. Jiyong is the new Underboss now. But what does it mean? What will it spell for us? There was a strange nervousness in me, which I shook away. Nothing is going to change. 

  In a state of mixed relief, I watched as Jiyong ran the ceremony dagger across his palm before lifting his bloody hand in the air to recite the Underboss's oath. As if in response, the entire organisation with the exception of the Don and the Consigliere bowed down in acknowledgement of their new commander. 

  "That is not all." Daniel announced, halting the cheering and celebrations.

  "Many of you should know that I am getting older and there's many issues in the family that I cannot keep up with now. Therefore, I am abdicating from the position of the Consigliere after consulting with the Don. It is time for us to take a back seat and let the younger blood bring about a fresh wave of revolution for the family." He smirked ruefully, walking around the stage to Soo Hyuk's side before placing a hand on his shoulder. Soo Hyuk blinked at the advisor, who winked at him lightly before turning around to the audience in a loud voice.

  "Your new Consigliere!"

  Flustered, Soo Hyuk stepped up ahead as he received a box containing a antique looking stamp.

  "Courage and wisdom. The two opposing quality that represents our latest appointed members." The Don said.  "In light of recent events, we are once again reminded of the vitality of loyalty and dignity in our Underboss. It seems to run in our Family's blood that the Consigliere and the Underboss, despite possessing equal power and authority, never gets along." The Don paused to spare a look at Jiyong and Soo Hyuk, who exchanged glances. "To put an end in it once and for all, your formal Consigliere had an excellent proposal."

  I adverted my gaze to look at Daniel, who's expression did not change. For a very brief moment, I thought I saw his eyes flashed up to my direction. But that's impossible, he's not supposed to be able to see me from there.

  My heart bgan to palpitate. I have a bad feeling...

  "As everyone knows, I have no children of my own. I do, however, have a god-daughter whom I cherish very, very much." The Don continued. For the first time, a smile broke out on his strict-looking features. "And that god-daughter of mine happens to be your new Consigliere's biological younger sister, who have grew up amongst us like a treasured sister."

  The new Consigliere's sister? Hani? I blinked. Wait, Hani is the Don's god-daughter?

  "To end the feud between our Underbosses and Consiglieres, starting from this generation forth, I propose a union of kinship. Lee Hani, the Consigliere's sister, my God-daughter, is to be engaged with our new Underboss, the Dragon." 

  Silence again. This time unbearably silent. 

  What does this means...? Engaged..?

  All thoughts in my head came to a screeching halt. A throbbing pain started to hammer inside my chest. Confusion, along with dread flooded me, almost drowning me within. Jiyong, whose face was devoid of emotion, looked momentarily stunned, before his turned his eyes to the glass above him, scanning blindly through it. 

  It felt like there are a thousand needles pricking into me knowing that while I see him clearly, I am invisible to him.

  I'm right here.

  The hall broke into a deafening applause again, coupled with cat-calls and whistles. Amongst the cheering, the celebrating team of four behind me had went still. I turned around to them, demanding, hoping for anyone to explain everything, anything at all, to me. They were all avoiding my confused eyes, each staring straight ahead with a determination.

  What's going on?

  Slowly, I turned my gaze back to the stage. There was no doubt about it this time. The former Consigliere is definitely staring straight at me.

  My fingers dug painfully into my thighs as I struggled to keep my mind focused. Engagement. No way. They didn't even ask for his consent. They can't just decide things like that. My head was forming a thousand reasons of how illogical this entire situation is, but there was a thousand and one reasons of how impossible it would be to reject an order from the Don of the Mafia.

  But what about me? What about us?

  Amidst the celebration, I felt terribly pathetic. Why am I even here? Is this a test that the former Consigliere is giving me for wanting to be with Jiyong?

  The atmosphere in here is getting suffocating.

  "I'll just get some air." I muttered to Jiyong's brothers behind me, ignoring their protest as I exited the hall in big strides. As soon as I am out of the ceremonial hall, my walk turned into a run and soon, I was out of the building. 

  The night air was freezing and I'm completely dressed for an indoor occasion. But still, I simply wrapped my arms around myself as I continued walking on the streets aimlessly, determined to get as far away as I can from the place that I've long left behind, from the showers of blessing for Jiyong and Hani. 

  Why is this happening to me? Is it really impossible for someone like me to love someone like him? Have I been deluding myself all along, thinking that happiness belongs to those who are willing to fight for it? 

  Tears were springing out from the back of my eyes and I wiped them away with my arm in desolation. The sky was devoid of stars. Even the moon is missing tonight. Standing in the midst of an empty street, the aching inside me seems to be amplified with the lost that I'm feeling. Where am I? Where should I go now?

  There was a bench in the distance away in front of a small stream and I found myself gravitating towards it. 

  How am I going to face Jiyong after this? Expecting him to do something about this is as much as asking him to defy his Don, putting him in direct danger. The Consigliere is watching now to see what decisions am I going to make from here onwards. Every other way appears blocked, leaving only one route clear: leave him.

  I dropped my glance to the charm bracelet that's hanging loosely on my wrist. My chest tightened at the sight of it, hurting like I'm suffocating. My mind ran back to the assurance in his eyes as he told me that things will always eventually work out somehow, the boyish grin and that affectionate gaze that he wears whenever I beat him in one of those childish bickers that we have and the way his voice trembles in anguish when I'm in peril... and god, I'm reminded of how much I love him.

  I won't let go. If Jiyong's hand on mine hasn't loosened, there's no reason for me to release his first.

  I sighed, arching my head up towards the night sky when I felt a tap on my shoulder. Startled, I hardly even turned when a can of beer entered my vision. 

  "A Carlsberg a day keeps the thoughts at bay." 

  A chuckle escaped my lips as I accepted the alcohol. The tall, chiseled-jaw Seunghyun sat down beside me, his suit a little disarranged.

  To break the silence, I opened my can with a pop. Seunghyun's sipped at his own quietly, staring at the still water. 

  "How did you find me?" I asked.

  "Do you know what's my position in the group?"

  "Someone who's really good at fighting?"

  "Someone who's really good at killing with knifes... and hunting." He laughed darkly. "Followed your scent here like a serial killer."

  "Psh." I shook my head, looking away from him. He's probably not joking about it, but somehow, I've became so used to them that what they do as mobsters seem unassociated as who I came to know them as.

  I took a taste from the drink and immediately gagged, earning myself a good laugh from Seunghyun. Gah, this drink is as unsavory as the sky-priced whisky that Bom and I shared back in Hardrock Bar.

  "To think that someone as innocent as you would willingly get yourself entangled with all the crap in the black society." Seunghyun commented, smiling ruefully. "Jiyong... he'll make the right choice." He said, lowering his gaze.

  He'll make the right choice. Seunghyun's words echoed in my head. Would I be in that choice? Somehow, even Seunghyun sounds uncertain. After all, he probably knows the official implications better than I do. He knows how risky it would be for Jiyong to openly go against the order of the Mafia head. Everything that he has worked so hard to build for himself and the boys would crumble back to ground zero...

  "C'mon Dara, I'll send you back. Jiyong still has his duties there." Seunghyun nudged me gently, snapping me back to my senses. "Wait."

  Seunghyun got off the bench and bent down in front of me, before he slipped my heels off my feet one after another. I blinked in confusion, before realising that my feet are full of angry, red friction burns from walking around in these mauling-machines.

  "Wear these." He mumbled, putting his own leather shoes in front of me. 

  "Hey, I can still walk in them." I protested, reaching for the heels before he swiftly took them away first.

  "Should I carry you on my back instead?"

  I relented and tucked my feet into his oversized shoes. Despite being big, they are much more comfortable than the tiny platforms. 
 

  Seunghyun is already a few steps in front of me, my heels dangling by his middle and index fingers. A nice warmth spread inside my chest. Even from day one, Seunghyun was the one who had opened the door for me when I was denied access to return Jiyong his right pair of kicks. Maybe I'm not alone in this fight afterall. 

  "Seunghyun?" I called out, and he turned around. "Thank you." I sighed.

  And he returned me a faint curve on his lips.

  



 

  A distance away, hidden among the shadow, a figure seated in the back seat motioned for his chauffeur to drive as he observed the girl who's walking away from the small stream. A cold smile spread across his face just as the tinted window rolled up.

  "Dara, Dara." He chanted in a low voice, breaking into a sinister laugh.