Mob 14: The Spark

Gangs of Itaewon

tumblr_nmxo8zJrxD1rmm63fo1_500.gif


 

[-]

  The posh entranceway was lit with nothing by a single, dazzling chandelier that sent fragments of light into every corner of the hallway. The three men in black adjusted their blazers as they walk, the heel of their derby shoes clacking loudly against the fine marble floor. Lined before the entrance were two rows of servicemen - waitresses and waiters who all knew very well the organisation that owns these luxurious facilities. As the men approached, the two rows sunk into a low bow at the same time. 

  The Caporegime of the Mafia syndicate did not spare the associates a glance and walked right through the oak entrance doors that had been pulled open for him. The place behind the doors contained an entire different world. 

  The lights were muted, allowing the glow and neon of a hundred slot machines to illuminate the giant ballroom. The electronic music from the machines and the shufling of gambling chips on the tens of the semi circle green tables filled the air. The Caporegime stopped in his tracks and looked up at the ceiling, a huge, marble dome. He allowed his gaze to linger there for a moment, knowing that hundreds of cameras are now zooming into his face. He knew exactly where every single survilliance device is planted, completed with facial recognising functions to alert them of rival organisations as well as blacklisted individuals that are here for nothing but trouble. As one of the most profitable business of the organisation, the Mafia Family's Casino is one of the most closely survilianced facility that they owned. 

  Following close behind their boss were Eclipse and Victory, the Dragon's right hand men. Youngbae passed by a table with addicted gamblers screaming 'Full House' while chewing lightly on the piece of gum he had just popped into his mouth. Strictly speaking, food and drinks aren't allowed in here, but then again, would there be people who would stop him?

  The trio navigated past the ordinary civilians and were guided into a backroom. Inside, they found Ghost already waiting for them, his posture laid back on a velvet chair with his legs crossed.

  "What's the deal?" Jiyong asked, settling himself into an armchair beside the second Caporegime. His two brothers stood listening.

  "The station is keeping a tight watch on this place." Soo Hyuk said. The station was their slang for the police beureau. 

  Jiyong shrugged. News aren't new. "That's all you want to tell me?"

  "No, they're looking into our other facilities as well. Many of our brothers, the soldiers, are all wanted all of a sudden." Soo Hyuk answered grimly, a thin crease appearing on his forehead. As the Family's mole within the cops, Soo Hyuk, or Ghost is able to get a good sense of where things on the white side is heading. "It's the Traids. They're been working with the police to have a crackdown on us. It's win-win for them. They get their own investigations suspended in exchange but I doubt that's their goal."

  "It's sabotage." The Dragon said quietly. The White House Traids... They need to learn to lay their hands off the Mafia's businesses.

  "Right. What's your plan, Jiyong?" 

  While Soo Hyuk works in the white (the legal world), the other Caporegime is in charge of the black (underworld) operations.

  The Dragon thought hard for a moment.

  "We can't afford to start a turf war now. Lets negotiate instead." He decided. 

  "The binnual Dinner is coming. We can use that." Seungri said, and Jiyong nodded.

  "We'll do that, but before the Dinner, have a word with their Deputy General. Don't let things turn ugly in front of the Yakuzas and the our Silician brothers." Soo Hyuk concluded, standing up to button his suit up. Jiyong got onto his feet as well. "Heading back to the HQ?" Soo Hyuk asked, drawing out a cigeratte. 

  "Not yet." Jiyong replied as his two Untouchables threw him a knowing glance. "There's a few more things for us to settle here today." 

 


[DARA]

  The sky outside is as gloomy as my soul. SIGH.

  Julie approached and knocked on the counter top twice before I lifted my cheek from my arm. 

  "Can you fold these up neatly for me, Dara? I've got an important call to make." She requested with a sweet smile plastered on her face.

  I blinked at the HUMONGOUS box of branded scarves that's now lying on the countertop. Julie's already walking towards the storeroom at the back. ARGHHH!! She's rarely around but she's bossing me as soon as she's back. I heaved out a heavy breath at the miserable pile of work I have in front of me. I guess I should just do it to keep myself from all the woes running around in my brain.

  The future seems so bleak now that even the med school had rejected my application. I thought that would be a way for me to continue doing something I'm good at without me having to literally become a doc. It feels like I've wasted all my years studying medicine like a mad woman only to hit deadends. 

  Tsk, I'm probably screwed for now.

  Tiredly, I raised my head to open the box and omg! That Julie is actually sitting on the stool in the store with her legs crossed, engrossed in some weird puzzle game on her Iphone.

  The nerve!! 

  I growled before aggressively pulling out the scarves from the box, using my will power to channel my inner zen while throwing daggers at her with my stare. GAHH!! What a slacker!

  The box contained hundreds of embrioded scarves. All these cheery colors are offending my dark soul. Sometimes I seriously don't understand some of the stuff that our store imports. What's the beauty in all these? Who actually wears them??? But then again, I apparently have a fashion taste only slightly better than a mackarel (according to Bom) so...... *shrugs*

  I folded a red one, a rose colored one, a beige one and a yellow one and...

  Yellow, Jiyong.

  The impossible king of annoyance has completely disappeared for a week. No phonecalls, short texts or sometimes even no messages at all. I would've enjoyed my own time of peace if I'm not so busy mopping over my miserable life. It's strange how unsettling it is to not hear from him when I was so frustrated with his constant ridiculous demands and summonings at ungodly hours. 

  Psh, I'm sure he's doing fine. Probably busy doing some -kicking outside while receiving chocolates and flowers from that pretty kiddo

  "There's a bug on you."

  Blagh. Why should I be affected? I tried asking him what he was doing, HE'S the one that has decided to turn back into Mr Icy City Man with all those short replies. HPMH.

  "There's a bug on you!" Bom said again, paused in the midst of steam-ironing the clothes. I frowned stupidly at her, before her words hit me.

  "ARHKKKKKK!!!!" I shrieked, jumping straight out of my high chair while slapping myself furiously all over with the yellow scarf. 

  There's only two things in the world that I'm mortally afriad of, and those are all the B-things - Blood and frickin' BUGSSS!! Especially a dragonfly or a wasp!! Have you heard the way their wings goes 'tsch tsch tsch tsch' when they fly? It's like those things are made out of metal I tell you!!

  "Get it outta me!" I screeched. 

  "Relax Dara, there's no bug." Bom answered with her brows meshed together. "I was just testing your reaction. What's wrong with you? What's on your mind that you don't even react to the magic word until I said it twice? Is it the College thing again?"

  I stopped hopping around immediately and threw her a I-would-kill-you-but-I-am-too-tired-right-now glance. I wasn't really thinking about the med school, but I didn't felt like discussing about Jiyong either, so I just shrugged and went back to my work.

  Bom exhaled loudly through her nose and stormed over to plug out the socket of her steam iron before marching over to me. Without offering any explanations, she grabbed my hand and pulled me straight into the storeroom.

  "Dara's feeling under the weather. I'm bringing her to the clinic. I'm sure you won't mind looking after the store alone would you?" Bom asked Julie with the same fake smile that Julie had given me earlier on. 

  "Oh." Julie answered hesistantly, looking unpleasantly surprised. "Ofcourse... not."

  Bom pushed her smile further up her cheek before wheeling around and kidnapping me out of our workplace. 

  "Ofcourse... not." Bom imitated sarcastically as soon as we are out of the store. "Ofcourse not, when you disappeared almost 4 out of every 5 work days and come back on the remaining one to play fking cookie crush!" 

  "Where are we going?" I protested, ignoring her rant. We looked exceptionally out of place rushing down a street at 5 in the evening in our uniforms.

  "We've did our fair share of work. Let's just abandon post like she does whenever she's here. Running errands for the HQ? My foot!" Bom continued on her rant at a speed of thirty-two words per second. Once Bom starts ing about something, it would take years before she eventually chills again.

  A soft thunder rolled in the sky omniously, which I TRIED to highlight to Bommie by tugging on her sleeve with my freehand. But she seems too into her rants than to hear me (nor the sky). True enough, a good one minute later, the sky started to drizzle. And from that small drizzle, it turned into a CRAZY DOWNPOUR.

  We gasped, each futily trying to shelter ourselves from the rain with our hands. We're surrounded by landed properties that lined the street and no cafes or any kind of shelters in sight. Where are all the cabs when you need them??

  "Get in here first!" Bom shouted through the heavy rain with her eyes squinting into slits. She dashed straight into one of the open fence of a HUGE bungalow labelled number 7.

  We stood shuddering in the cold on the front porch. Bom rang the doorbell while I surveyed the place with my arms around myself. Wouldn't it be impolite of us to just trespass into other people's property like that? This place looks kinda familiar, like I've been here before...

  The door opened and the one who unlocked it had a smoke hanging in his mouth. My eyes darted from his fierce features to an inked Scorpion flashed on his burly arm. OMG BOM, I DON'T THINK THIS PLACE WOULD BE A COMFORTABLE SHELTER.

  "What d'yeh want?" The gangster asked gruffly.

  "Ha-ha, I think we're at the wrong house." I laughed, yanking on Bom's sleeve. "Let's just go!" I hissed through my teeth.

  "We're your Vanguard's friends." Bom said, completely unfazed by the man's intidimating presence. 

  Upon hearing that, the burly ganster immediately stepped aside to allow us through the doors. Confused and nervous, I followed closely behind Bom. This place is filled similarly muscular men playing poker on the floor, a few guys counting cash in a small room and some other people who are working out or asleep. What kind of place is this??? We're freaking in a gang's turf! I would much prefer be in the rain thankyouverymuch!

  This place is the White House Traid's hideout! This is why its so familiar! Grandma was here before!

  Nooooooo!!! Let me out!!!

  "Da Ge, you have guests." The gangster reached first in front of a marble staircase and bowed his head.
   *In Chinese, Da Ge is the way of addressing a male who is older or more powerful than you.*

  "Bom?" A topless figure descended the stairs with his towel draped across his shoulder, his upper torso bare. He stopped at the bottom flight of the stairs as soon as he saw us, his tired eyes widening in surprise.

  "Donghae." Bom grinned. "Mind if we crash your place for a while? It's crazy out there." 

  Donghae shrugged, his hair still damp. He tilted his chin lazily at his room on the far end of a long, posh hallway. Bom didn't need to be told twice before pulling me towards that direction. This obviously isn't her first time here. 

  "I was planning to bring you to a bar and get you drunk so that you'll talk about whats boggling you, but since its pouring, lets just wait until the rain stops." Bom said. 

  I glanced around Donghae's room. It's really rather tidy for someone with his career option checked as 'Gang Member'. His room was a dark grey, with a exposing poster of Britney Spears behind his door. Ugh, boys. 

  "Stop staring at her, ." Donghae said from behind me, flashing a grin before closing his room door behind him. Bom is already sitting casually on the walnut floor.

  "Who's the here." I rebutted.

  Donghae smirked and wriggled his brows playfully.

  "Was the robber that mugged you caught?" Donghae asked, suddenly serious as he frowns at me. I shook my head.

  "Why're you out at that hour, anyway?" He pushed on as I plonked myself on the ground beside Bom.

  "This idiot went out to get toothpaste. Can you believe it?" Bom answered on my behalf loudly. "Seriously! All these for TOOTHPASTE."

   Donghae broke into a laughter.

  "Colgate better get you as their ambassador." He chortled, getting into the persona of a product spokesperson on TV. "Because oral hygiene is everything." He whispered like one of the commercial models, before doubling over in laughter with Bom.

  HELLO? I almost died and this is how my friends would react to it??? I snarled mercilessly at them, who were laughing so hard that they did a high five. 

  "How's granny, sweetheart?" Donghae asked when he finally managed to stifle his guffaws.

  I glanced outside the window. The rain is subsiding. "Probably sleeping, she likes to be in the blanket when it rains." I answered, berfore lifting my brows. "What's with the 'sweetheart'?"

  "Be grateful for that, Dara." Bom said darkly, sipping on a glass of juice prepared on the table. "You don't want to know what he calls me."

  I turned my curious gaze to Donghae. What has Mr Suave conjured up this time?

  "Honeybun." Donghae said lazily, leaning back against his bed frame with a lopsided smirk. 

  "Suits you." I sniggered, as it became Bom's turn to growl.

  We fooled around like a bunch of teenagers for a while, thinking of the grossest pet names we could come up with. I almost even forgot that we're in a room that's only seperated from more than twenty over gangsters by a thin door.

  "Right, Dara. Would you be free this Friday?" Donghae asked, straightening up.

  "Yeah, why?" I answered, wiping away the tears from the corner of my eye caused by all the mad laughing. I call it abs building now. Because my stomach literally hurts.

  And Donghae invited me to this 'Dinner Gala' as his partner. It happens once every two years and this year its held at a resort in Jeju. A resort with hot springs and jaccuzzis!! It includes a FULL weekend getaway and 100% free-of-charge first class flight tickets and a penthouse suite! All by myself! YAY!!! I haven't even been on a plane before!!! 

  I can hear my soul singing praises for the lord. KYAAA!! Its the first time someone is actually asking me out on a trip!! Plus its an ultra luxurious trip. Hmm.. but its suspicious because he is literally employed in a gang. A gang! So this is a what, friendly traids gathering? I don't want to find myself lying in a pool of blood with a bullet in my tummy anytime soon no matter how tempting the trip can be.

  /cries/ Bye bye Jeju~

  "Come on, Bom went with me for the last one!" Donghae persuaded.

  "She doesn't want to go, bring me along again!" Bom snatched the chance immediately, sitting up with a mischivious look in her eye.

  "I can't, reviews for you were bad last time." Donghae said solemnly, staring straight at Bom. Bom blinked, looking very confused.

  "What did I do? Did I offend anyone? Oh my gosh, am I marked?"
  *Marked is the mafia term to state that someone is branded for death
*

  "You weren't pretty enough." 

  We both dodged as Bom ripped her wet heel off her feet and flung it mercilessly at us. In the midst of our chaos, there was a small knock on the door and a boy with ash grey hair in his late teens poked his head in. Just like Donghae and everyone else here, the boy has a scorpion carved into his bicep. 

  "Da Ge, the Mafia is here for the General." The boy whom Donghae introduced as Jackson reported, looking at me and Bom cautiously. 

  The Mafia??? Is a gang war going to break out??

  "It's fine, Sweetheart, just stay here. I'll be back in a bit." Donghae waved away my worries upon seeing have I perked up anxiously at the piece of news. On the floor beside me, Bommie doesn't seem to mind that much either.

  "Bring some chips when you're back." She called after him. 

 

  Gosh, I'll never understand these Itaewon natives!!


[-]

  The traids members were are up from whatever they were doing, their weapons ready. Outside the open front door stood the Caporegime of the opposing gang, the Seoul Mafia. The air was filled with tension as they waited for Jackson to bring their leader here. The other party had requested for their General but he wasn't in. The next one who's in power to negotiate would be their Vanguard, Donghae.

  The boys in the Traids have long heard of the legendary team of The Dragon and his Untouchable Four. Behind them, twenty over suit-cladded Made Men were ready to counter attack should their host turns hostile. The Caporegime claimed that he's here in peace and is just looking for someone who can negotiate in representation of the White Traid House, but the Traid members didn't dare to let their guards down. They've all heard of Kwon Jiyong, and what he is capable of doing. Him, combined with his men, could gun down half of them in just a flash if they were careless enough. 

  The Vanguard of the traid seemed to have exited a small room from the back. The Caporegime raised a brow at the Vanguard's topless form.

  "Looks like someone was busy being naughty." Daesung muttered under his breath behind Jiyong, whose lips cracked into a small smirk at the joke. 

  "What honour do we have today?" Donghae said loudly from afar, looking completely unfazed by the army of rivals outside the door. 

  In the room, Dara wrung her fingerous together nervously. The chattering outside that she heard when they first came in was now replaced by an eerie silence. When Donghae spoke, it amplified his voice throughout the house. 

  "Are you not going to invite us in?" Jiyong replied casually. The lower ranking members from both sides held their breath. 

  Donghae gestured the men in expensive black suits in. "The rest stays." He said, and Jiyong held up an open palm, motioning for his Made Men to wait outside. 

  "Your men will drop their weapons." The Caporegime requested calmly. The corner of Donghae's lips lifted upwards. This man sure knows how to play the psychological game. He glanced towards his armed brothers in the room, and they tucked their firearms into their back pockets. 

  "The Russians were ours. You know that breaking up another organisation's sealed deal is against the way we roll in this business." The Caporegime started the confrontation, his eyes cold and boring straight into the Vanguard's, demanding an explanation. 

  "They probably just find us more attractive." Donghae shrugged, placing his hands on his hips as he flashed his opponents a grin. "The Traids is not responsible for the Mafia's customer complaints."

  "You think this is a joke?" Seungri snarled, making a move which was quickly stopped by Seunghyun. He knows that Jiyong could handle it. Their leader never budges when it comes to the Mafia's businesses. 

  "Chill, Victory. Don't forget you're still in our territory." 

  "So, what is your side's stance? You want a turf war? When its so close to the Gala Dinner?" The Caporeigme spoke in a quiet voice, taking a step forward. "Really? In front of all the Japanese and Sicillians?" 

  "It's you Mafians that will decide that. Not us." Donghae answered, dropping his playful tone. A turf war started by the Mafians is desired by his General and Deputy General, but he knew the enormous number of brothers that will be lost. He couldn't defy orders, and the only way that this situation could be prevented is when the mafia side don't start any attacks at all. 

  The voices outside of the room is rather muffled. Dara has been pacing back and forth anxiously, her heart thumping. Her brain is already anticipating the sound of a gunshot in any moment now. Donghae has been gone for a little too long, and even Bom is starting to look rather nervous. The door of the room was not fully closed, leaving a small crack open. Unable to hold her curiosity, Bom pulled herself to the door and quietly, pressed her ear on the cold wood. Hastily but equally silent, Dara followed suit.

  "I'm assuming that you want peace too..." The words from outside became clearer. There's something oddly familiar about it. Dara plucked her hair away from her ears before pressing it down on the door again.

  "..In that case we'll meet at the Gala... and discuss the details with your deputy-in-charge." 

  Dara yanked away from the door aruptly. If her ears aren't playing a prank on her, then the voice outside belonged to..

  She pulled open the door reactively, startling Bom, and blinked at the sight outside. At least fifty men stood formally both inside and outside the house, and right in front of Donghae, who had his back facing her, was Jiyong... and Seunghyun and Daesung and Seungri and Youngbae... They're all here.

  The Caporegime's lips parted at the sight of the girl who had emerged from the inside of the small room that the Vanguard came out from, his body freezing in time. Behind him, the relaxed stance of the four untouchables faltered. Why is Dara Park in the Traid's turf? How did they got her? How did they know of Dara Park's ties with Jiyong? Were they planning to use her as a bargaining chip?

  They turned their stare from the confused looking Dara to their leader, who's tense and unreadable. Without warning, the Caporegime drew out his gun and pointed it directly at the Vanguard. 

  His actions were followed up by a dozen more movements from both parties. In a flash, all of the Traid members had their own weapons directed at the Caporegime while the Made Men had barged into the house with their own firearms pulled out.

  "Oh my god, Jiyong..." Dara felt like her heart has stopped beating as she stared at the terrifying sight infront of her. The situation is ready to blow out of control once a single bullet is fired. ! She knew they should never have came in!! Gahh! There's always a better place to hang out with Donghae than in his gang's hideout!

  The Capo wasn't thinking properly. Something seemed to have blocked the blood to his head and all he's seeing is red. The joke that Daesung had made earlier on didn't sound amusing in the slightest bit now. 

  "Dara, come." Seunghyun spoke now, each of his hand holding an automated pistol, his eyes trained on the guns pointing on his face. 

  Dara swallowed nervously. What the hell is happening?

  Donghae squinted his eyes skeptically, unsure of why the Mafians are calling Dara by her name. How did she knew these guys?

  "Dara!" Bom hissed from inside the room. 

  "Get here, Dara!" Youngbae echoed his older brother. 

  Dara shut her eyes tightly and whispered a series of curses before she darted across the scene with her hands on her ears. As soon as she reached them, Jiyong grabbed her forearm tightly and pushed her behind him where she is surrounded by the rest of the Untouchables.

  "You can't take her." Donghae snapped aggressively.

  "What do you want from her?" The Caporegime snarled back at the Vanguard. 

  "Jiyong, he's my friend." Dara whispered behind him. 

  The Capo swallowed, his expression darkening at her words. "Retreat." He ordered his guards while slowly lowering his weapon. 

  "You can't take her!" Donghae growled again, this time stepping forward to reach Dara. Jiyong raised the mouth of his gun again.

  Oh my god, Dara thought, someone's going to die if this goes on. 

  "It's fine, Donghae. I'm safe. I promise!" Dara begged as Donghae furrowed his brows at her. She shot him a reassuring glance and his shoulder slackened.

  "Guns down, let them go." He commanded. Dozens of pistol and knifes lowered warily.

  With a last, lingering glare at the Vanguard, the Capo turned swiftly around and clamped his hands on Dara's shoulder before marching her out of the house. 

  Jiyong was deathly silent the whole way out, nobody dared to utter a single word. Once they reached the streets where a line of black cars were waiting, Jiyong dismissed everyone, including his Untouchables.

  "Jiyong, I-" Dara began once everyone was gone. He ignored her, but instead started walking down the street in long strides while pulling her along behind him. The rain has long stopped, leaving behind large puddles of water on the floor. 

  It was only when they were a good distance away from bungalow number 7 when Jiyong had halted in his tracks. He turned around wearing a mixture of anger and worry on his face. 

  ", Dara, did he touched you?" Jiyong shouted furiously, alarming the girl. 

  "No- We were just visi-"

  "Then why the is he not wearing a shirt?" The Capo demanded in a dangerous voice. 

  "He was showering before we came! My grandma used to cook for him all the time, we were just visiting, Jiyong, even Bom is there!" Dara explained quickly. Seeing Jiyong lose his temper like this scares her. Just until yesterday he was ignoring her calls and replying coldly to her messages. Why is he so worked up over her now? Why is he so confusing and difficult to understand?

 "Where were you for the past two weeks?" Dara asked softly after a moment of silence. 

  Jiyong racked his hair gruffly as he turned away from her, ignoring her question. That unbearable fear that grips his lungs everytime he sees her in anything close to danger is driving him insane. He almost killed his entire squad, but he couldnt't help himself when he saw her standing in their turf in that defenceless state. Does she even know who these people are?

  "What did he want from you?" Dara was staring at the ground when he asked. She looked up to see him visibly calmer now. "Did he mentioned anything about the Mafia?"

  "No." Dara answered. "He just asked me to go to some Dinner Gala with him..." Dara added in a small mutter.

  "What?" Jiyong flared up again. He's bringing her to the Gala? Surrounded by the Traids people and worse still, hundreds of International mobsters? Her frail form wouldn't even last a minute in there!

  "Are you going too?" Dara asked eagerly. Jiyong seems to know about this event too. Maybe with Jiyong there, she could reconsider the offer... Somehow, she's starting to feel safe with him around. 

  "Did you agree?" Jiyong pressed on.

  "Who're you bringing?"

  "Hani. You're not going, Dara." Jiyong snapped.

  Oh. Hani. Ofcourse, who else would he take as his partner. Dara blinked at him, a small part of her starting to sting painfully. Why should he ban her from enjoying herself when he would be spending his own deluxe time with his pretty partner?

  "I'm going." Dara said defiantly, turning around to leave. Before she could even take a step, Jiyong pulled her back into facing him.

  ", Dara, do you know how dangerous these things are?" 

  "There's guards everywhere. Besides, I'll just call the police if something goes wrong." She's not even his anything. He has no rights. 

  He groaned. Does she really think the police would save her?

  "You're not going." He muttered through his teeth. 

  "Don't try to dictate me, Jiyong." Dara hissed. That kid is strong enough to go but not her? She wasn't going to accept Donghae earlier but now she's determined to go and have a huge blast. 

  "FINE!" Jiyong roared, grounding Dara to her spot. She turned back to look at Jiyong, who's staring straight at her. 

  "If you want to go so bad, you're coming with me." 

  Dara blinked at him, stunned.

  And then it hits her. He's asking her to go as his partner instead...

 

  Holy .

 

 


Ermagawd, I'm finally done.

  Sorry for the long 2 weeks wait, I'm really really, hair-tearingly busy these days 

T T 

Anyway, I think this is the longest chapter I wrote. Hope you enjoyed it!

Don't forget to upvote and comment!
See you soon!!
(Hopefully)