Tonight

Our Escape (Monsta X FanFic)

I was shaken roughly awake by Wonho, a mischievous grin planted on his giddy expression. "You ready to get out of this crap place?" He asked.

"Sure am," I said, sitting up straight. I glanced around and there was a mix of groggy faces and excited ones.

"Catch," Kihyun whispered, throwing a screwdriver over to Hyungwon. He caught it in one hand, and knelt down to the vent.

Everyone was working away quickly and silently. We were being quicker than I had anticipated. And that was making me even more nervous for some reason. I was still sat on the edge of my bottom bunk, pretty much out of it by the way I looked. At least I wasn't showing my concerns like Minhyuk. He was all jittery, biting his nails. Kihyun was next to him being motherly and fussing over him. It made me want to laugh, but I knew I shouldn't right now. Hyungwon was concentrated on the vent, Shownu hovering over a badly drawn map, and Wonho with a vague grin on his face. A punchable look, but a cunning one too.

A sudden clang resonated through the cell, making us flinch and snap our heads towards the barred door out of paranoia. All of us except Wonho, who was glaring daggers at Hyungwon. We waited in intense silence, waiting for something bad to happen, until Wonho sighed. He gestured for Shownu to go in the vent first.

We filed in one by one, me stuck in between Kihyun and Hyungwon. "Well, at least I got the vent off!" Hyungwon whispered frustratedly from the back. Wonho just shushed him. Everyone knew who was the more superior here.

We continued to silently shuffle along until Shownu stopped and popped off a second vent as if it was the top of a soda can. We followed him out eagerly, but now we were just stuck in another damn room. I frowned and huffed. Shownu rolled his eyes at my expression, and motioned for us to come closer. "So this is the storage ro--"

"And why the are we here?" Kihyun spat bitterly.

"Hold your tongue and let me finish, prick. There's not much here apart from an old janitor's kit, a cap, and a mop. But that's enough. To our left is the visiting room, and after that it's the reception room, where a guard will be on night shift duty. One of us needs to take him out disguised as a janitor, and then all that's left is the fence, which we can just climb over. Easy peasy lemon squeezy," Shownu explained. He was wearing the familiar smirk Wonho usually had.

"But isn't there, you know, a huge freaking glass wall blocking us in the visiting room?!" Kihyun whisper shouted.

"Yeah, but there's a door for the guards to get in and out. And I know the code to open it," Wonho reassured us, as he pasted duct tape over the security cameras. Kihyun held up his hands in surrender, mumbling to himself. If that's the way he wants to deal with this situation, it's fine by me.

"So, who wants to play dress up and take out the guard?" Hyungwon asked.

"Whoever's the best fighter," Wonho shrugged.

Minhyuk turned and looked hopefully up at me. I gave him a, 'are you really gonna do that to me,' look. I scoffed and folded my arms. "No way it's me, dude," I told him.

"But Jooheon.. You took out Changkyun pretty easily the other day," Minhyuk was talking too much again. I grit my teeth, and I knew I had lost before I could even put up a fight. Minhyuk patted me on the back, and I shook him off, flashing a sarcastic smile his way. He passed me the uniform.

"Better get changed,"

" you guys..." I mumbled. They laughed at me.

I grudgingly stepped into the faded blue janitor's outfit, contemplating how exactly I should take out the guard in the reception room. We still had to get through the visiting room before that though. The shirt and trousers were way too baggy on me, but the cap managed to cover my face well enough, in case there was another security camera out to catch me.

After I was done prepping my outfit, we went into the next room. It was empty, and there was a door with a code, just as Wonho had described. He walked up to it with confidence, and entered a four digit passcode. A red light flashed up and Wonho frowned. He re-entered the same number combination. Red again. "What the hell!?" Wonho said, mainly to himself. He seemed utterly confused, I had never seen him look this way before. He was finally out of his depth, and wrong about something. Of course, he had to pick this exact moment to mess up all six of our lives. I could feel the panic in the room increase by ten.

"What's the problem here?" I said.

"The code's not working... It's meant to be my prison number, #1039," Wonho breathed, putting his hands to his head.

"It's not working because that must be the old code. They always use the prison number of the person with the longest sentence to serve," Shownu rolled his eyes at Wonho.

"And that's me!" Wonho insisted.

"Don't act like you win. It's not something to be proud of, you idiot," Kihyun lectured.

"How long's your sentence?" Minhyuk asked.

"If it's all added up, then 25 years,"

Minhyuk hung his head low and typed his own number in, #1688. A green light replaced the red. I looked at him in shock. Kihyun and I exchanged worried glances, and Wonho was dumbfounded, his mouth open. Shownu tilted his head to one side and hummed, as if he knew it all along. He was truly an insufferable know-it-all. No wonder he was involved with Changkyun.

I nudged Minhyuk. "You gonna keep me in suspense, or what? How bad is it?" I asked.

"31 years, if I'm lucky. They're convinced I shot someone just because I was holding the gun," Minhyuk murmured, his bitterness towards Shownu becoming clearer.

Wonho hushed us all, and pointed towards the next door. Where the guard was meant to be. He opened the door for me and I stepped through quietly, immediately spotting the guard, whose back was luckily turned to me. I had no weapon, so I had to use my own strength. I glanced wearily down at my hands. A couple of my knuckles still had faded bruises on them from beating up Changkyun. I balled them up into fists, held my breath, and moved towards him.

I locked my elbow around his neck, swiftly throwing him off his chair and on the tiled floor. His head bounced off and he blinked around dizzily. I held him down to finish him off, but he looked like he was going to black out. I turned to the door and Wonho mouthed at me to do it. I took a second look at the guy, and at the blood that was splattered across the otherwise pristine floor. I gulped and wrapped my hands around his neck. Then I squeezed tightly and relentlessly. I needed to do this to get out. I kept telling myself that as he writhed under my harsh grip. And then he was no longer breathing. He was unmoving.

He was looking right into my eyes, and my breath quickened. "Nice job, kid," Wonho grasped my shoulders in excitement. I coughed and nodded. I pulled my hands off of the guard. I felt vacant and empty. Minhyuk lingered behind to wait for me to process and catch up. We followed the others out in silence.

The cold air felt so much better than I had remembered. I lazily closed my eyes, holding my arms out like in the titanic movie, until my face was smashed into the muddy ground. I pulled my arm back to swing at whoever was on me, but he caught my hand. "What the ?!" I said.

"The search lights, kiddo," Wonho chuckled.

I stuck my tongue out at him and glanced around at the blindingly whit lights, and laughed to myself seeing Kihyun struggling under Shownu's grip, in the same position as us.

Once the lights shifted to the back of the complex, we ran to the fence. Shownu and Wonho got there first and clambered to the top quickly. I gave Minhyuk a boost up and over, while Kihyun tried to get up by himself.

"Looks like you could use a hand," Shownu said. I watched in amusement.

Kihyun glared up at him and took his hand, but added, "I hate you,"

"Come on Jooheon," Wonho called me forward. I grabbed the links on the fence and froze as I heard a loud click and an alarm go off. One of the lights hovered right over Hyungwon, Wonho and I.

"I said come on!" Wonho yelled, as he hopped over to the other side. I climbed to the top on my own, and waited for Hyungwon. He thanked me as we jumped over together.

I heard a gunshot, loud and clear, and I ran ahead. But I noticed that Hyungwon wasn't following me. He was lying on the ground, his face embedded in the dirt. I grabbed Shownu's wrist and dragged him back to help me shift Hyungwon. He shook me off roughly, and sprinted ahead. Not even a word was said. I heard a second shot, and a cry of pain.

I caught sight of Wonho slamming down Shownu hard. "We don't leave people behind," He spat in Shownu's face before heading towards Hyungwon and I.

I got to Hyungwon before him, trying to shake him up. I managed to roll him over, and I jumped back when I saw part of his ear clipped off by a bullet, the entire right side of his face stained crimson red with blood. His right shoulder twitched too, the other bullet probably hit him there. I called out his name and shook him again, but by that time, Wonho had picked him up and slung him over his shoulder like a sack of flour. We laid low, flinching every time another shot was fired.

"Holy ," Wonho said out of breath.

"What?" I asked, with my best, ' yeah, we just got out of prison, but one of us got shot,' look.

"Jooheon, they were shooting to kill," It was the first time I'd seen Wonho look so morbid. He had gotten what he wanted, but Hyungwon was paying for it. His blood was dripping everywhere, and he was unconscious. I'm not a doctor, but it didn't look so good.