First Morning

Our Escape (Monsta X FanFic)

"Psst," The chained up guy, Wonho said, without whispering at all.

"What?" I rolled my eyes. I stirred, and saw that it was only us two who were fully awake. I groaned.

"Good morning roomie!!! Rise and shine!" Wonho squealed.

He truly was insane. No wonder he was put under more security. I glanced around the cell once more. Kihyun was back, but Minhyuk still wasn't around.

"Shut the up. I'm trying to sleep," Shownu grumbled.

"Language, mister! I'm trying to chat!" Wonho retorted, grinning. Then the bell rang, piecing my ears, with equal unpleasantness as an alarm clock accidentally set to 3am. "See! I'm right on time, as per usual! Isn't that right?" Wonho asked the guard outside.

"Yes Wonho," He muttered, sighing. I didn't really want to know what happened if you disagreed with him. Reluctantly, everyone else woke up and put on their scraggy uniforms. Hyungwon took the longest to wake up, after Shownu, who was not a morning person. Hyungwon's eyes were red, puffy and half-closed. He was suffering.

"So? Is your family getting you out?" I asked Kihyun.

He scoffed. "You wish. The bastards think I deserve what I got. They ain't doing nothing, idiot," He answered, on the offence.

I held up my hands. "Okay man," I sighed. "Any idea where Minhyuk is?"

"What's with the twenty ing questions. I've barely been awake for a minute. And, anyway, how the would I know where that idiot is?" He was definitely grumpy today.

I shrugged it off, and got into my uniform. After we were all changed, the guard came in to unchain Wonho, the prison's lunatic. As we walked out, I was grabbed from behind by Wonho and pinned to a wall. I struggled to get out of his grip, so I spat in his face. He blinked, but that was all. He pressed against me.

"Listen kid, I'm not crazy. It's fake. I've been waiting a long ing time for this to happen, and you can bet your you and your friends are going to help me," He murmured his last sentence as he was pulled off me by the guards, and handcuffed.

"Just a game guys! Right, Jooheon?" He put on a fake smile. I never told him my name before.

"Right..." I frowned. What was his game?

I finally left the cell to go to the lunch hall. It smelled better than our cell, at least, but that didn't mean it was amazing. It was loud, overcrowded, and it made me think of my few memories I had of school before I got expelled.

I shuffled to the serving trays and grabbed one. I had a choice of green bean casserole, or mashed potatoes. This was breakfast? Neither were aesthetically pleasing, or enticing in the slightest. So I leave my tray empty, aside from the small plastic cup of water pushed to the left hand corner.

I turned around and took a deep breath. There were four completely full tables, one half full table with a bunch of tough looking guys who are only focused on eating, and the almost empty table where Hyungwon, Kihyun, and Shownu are sitting. I know it was a stupid thought, but I almost went to sit with the tough guys. I wanted to know what starting again felt like, but I caught Kihyun's eyes, and he waved me over.

"Going to ditch us, were you?" Shownu muttered, reading a book. We all frowned at him, shocked, but he didn't even glance up. He turned his page over. How the hell did he know that? And how the hell did he get a bloody book?

"Where'd you get that?"

"The book? Wonho stole it off a guard and gave it to me. He said I seemed like the reading type," Shownu shrugged.

"What's he mean, Jooheon? About ditching me. Us," Kihyun cocked his head to one side. A smirk grew on Shownu's face, and I felt like gagging.

"He means nothing. It's all bull," I shook it off and changed topic. "Still no Minhyuk, huh?"

"Oh my god, are you obsessed with him or something? Why are you so concerned?" Kihyun huffed.

"Sorry, just wanted to be a good friend," I narrowed my eyes at him, and he scoffed, before finishing off his mashed potatoes. Hyungwon played with his green bean casserole, obviously reluctant to eat it. I couldn't blame him.

"If you two are done bickering, your beloved is in the corner, Jooheon. He's sandwiched between Wonho and a guard," Shownu was smirking again, not taking his eyes off the book.

I sat up straight, and so did Kihyun. I knew he cared. And Shownu was right, again. Minhyuk looked particularly depressed, staring into space as Wonho rambled on about who knows what. He was handcuffed just like Wonho, and I felt a pang of guilt. Or pity, I couldn't tell. It was a rare sight to see Minhyuk quiet.

Minhyuk snapped out of his daze and our eyes met. He proceeded to get up, and walked towards the serving trays, presumably to get a second helping. He really must be hungry if he's getting seconds of that mushy, rank, grub. Then I realised, this was my chance.

"I've changed my mind, I'm going to get some mashed potatoes," I announced, before leaving our table to join Minhyuk in the queue.

I nudged Minhyuk as I slid in beside him while we waited to be served. He was struggling to get a good grip on the tray because of his handcuffs. He jumped and faced me.

"About ing time!" He rolled his eyes at me, but I knew he was joking. "Do you know how long I've been stuck with those stupid s? They think I shot the guy, but I swear, it wasn't me, man. It was Shownu, for sure. I saw it,"

I glanced over at Shownu, who was still engrossed in the stolen book. "He does creep me out a little, to be honest," I said.

"So you believe me, right?" His eyes were as wide as saucers.

"Course I do," I shuffled along, as someone dumped mashed potatoes on my plate. I grimaced at my so-called meal. "Can you sit with us, or nah?" I asked. I gestured towards where he was previously sitting. Two guards were sat either side of Wonho, who was talking to no one in particular.

"Well, I can't go back to that crazy dude. He's been driving me insane with all his talking! I mean, he doesn't even talk to anyone, he just talks!" Minhyuk was dumbfounded by Wonho's mad façade. I still didn't know if he was telling the truth to me earlier.

I laughed it off. "Just don't lash out at Wonho, you might get into trouble, again," I advised, as we headed back to the table.

"But what about you guys? Are you getting out?" Minhyuk frowned.

"Kihyun called his folks, and they aren't doing to help him, and I'm hoping my sister won't do the same. No idea about Shownu or Hyungwon though. Hyungwon only has his dad, and I'm sure he won't get involved in case he gets caught for drugs too. It's the family business," I sighed.

"Oh... Bastards," Minhyuk responded blankly.

"Don't think about it too much, okay? Just get yourself covered first. Tell them I can vouch for you," I said.

"Jooheon, I can't get you stuck in this mess too," Minhyuk huffed.

"Uhh, do you see where we are?" I laughed.

"I guess you're right," He chuckled mildly.

We sat down together at our table. Kihyun's expression lifted at the sight of Minhyuk, while Minhyuk became stony, staying as far away from Shownu as possible.

"Glad to have you back, man," Kihyun patted Minhyuk's shoulder. The small shred of happiness was quickly outed.

"Prisoner #1688 go back to your original seat," We heard an officer call out. We also heard Wonho's cheers. Minhyuk groaned, and reluctantly left us.

"Do you think he'll join our cell soon?" Hyungwon asked.

"I damn hope so," Kihyun butted in, before I could give an answer of my own. But I agreed with Kihyun, so I said nothing.