Note and Lighter

Our Escape (Monsta X FanFic)

The same sharp alarm that went off earlier, came again. There were unpleasant screeches of the chairs against the floor as people got up. As we were leaving, Wonho bumped into me.

"What is your problem, man?" I asked, giving him a slight push away from me. I'm sure I could take him on if I had too, just by the surprised look on his face when I did that.

"Nothing, kid. I've been around here a lot longer than you and your buds, so you'd better wise up and listen to me. I've been waiting for this... opportunity," He glanced around to check for guards. We were fully concealed by the mass of people trying to exit the lunch hall.

I leaned in closer to him.

"You all need to help me out, okay? We can all get out of here, if you help," He said seriously. I nodded like a fool. He pressed something into the palm of my left hand with a smirk.

"Read this once your in the cell, then burn it with this," Wonho passed me a lighter.

I frowned. "How did you get th--"

"I have my ways," He grinned waving his hands in my face. His handcuffs were gone.

"How did yo--"

"I said I have my ways! Now get going, kid!" Wonho said, disappearing into the crowd of prisoners.

That sneaky son of a .

I looked down at the note and lighter in my hands and tried to walk back to the cell casually. Kihyun and Hyungwon were playing poker on one of the beds, and Shownu was still reading that damn book on the top bunk of the other bed.

"Want to play, dude?" Hyungwon offered.

"Nah, I'm good, thanks," I declined politely, sitting on my bed. I read the note.

Hey bud,
We are getting out of here, if you haven't already realised.
We don't deserve to be here, so we're getting out. Easy enough, right?
Anyway, rich boy's lawyer is coming tomorrow, and I need you to get him to take the package he's given.
And get Shownu to find a way out of this crappy place. He's being too lazy.
The drugee can get drugged up for all I care...
When gun guy gets back from interrogation, don't let him screw this up.
I'm serious.
See you later, kid.

I almost laughed at the nicknames he had given them. But, disappointingly, he didn't have one for Shownu. I pouted, and flicked the lighter on to burn the note. I watched it until all that was left were ashes.

"Okay. Consider it done," Shownu muttered. I looked up, and he was staring down at me from the top bunk, with his infamous smirk on his face.

"You little--" I stood up, my punching arm raised, but I stopped.

Two officers held Minhyuk, and threw him in with us.

"Prisoner #1670, I hope you weren't fighting with prisoner #1599," One of them raised their eyebrows at me.

"No," I spat.

They laughed and left. They enjoyed having power over me. I scoffed before turning to Minhyuk. "You okay?" I asked.

"You don't have to mother him twenty-four seven," Kihyun rolled his eyes. Hyungwon and Shownu snickered.

"He's not!!" Minhyuk said, only causing more laughter. He lay down on the third bunk bed, the last one available was with Wonho. I was with Shownu, and Kihyun was with Hyungwon. Tough luck, buddy. I would have talked with Minhyuk, but by the looks of it, he was already fast asleep.

Cheers came from Kihyun, and grumbles from Hyungwon. I guess they just finished their game of poker, and Kihyun won.

"How did you win?! I was so sure you didn't have good enough cards!" Hyungwon was baffled at his defeat.

Before Kihyun could respond, Shownu piped up. "Technically, he didn't win. He cheated," Shownu shrugged. Kihyun cast a death glare at him.

"What!?? I want a rematch then!" Hyungwon declared.

"Ughh, later," Kihyun waved him away. I made my way over to Kihyun and sat next to him on the bottom bunk.

"Hey, your lawyer's coming tomorrow, right?"

"Yeah, how'd you know?" He frowned.

"Don't you remember? You mentioned it earlier," I lied.

"He's lying," Shownu huffed. It was my turn to glare at him. This guy was not good at making friends, was he? Thankfully, I wasn't the only one pissed at Shownu.

"Shut the hell up already, idiot," Kihyun snarled.

"Anyway, he'll give you a package, and you need to take it," I told him.

"Uhh, okaayyy," Kihyun said. "Is that it?"

"Yep," I answered quickly, and lied down on my own bottom bunk.

One thing done.

I closed my eyes and tried my best to get to sleep, but my strategy wasn't working very well. I sighed and turned over. I was surprised to see Wonho back. I hadn't even heard him come in. I guess he 'had his ways'. The darkness soon consumed the rest of my vision, so I absentmindedly flicked the lighter Wonho gave me on and off. I could kill for a cigarette right now, I thought bitterly.

I jumped and hit my head on the top bunk of my bed, as Wonho creeped up on me with a killer smile on his childish face. "What the , man?" I sighed groggily.

He jangled some keys in front of my face, and I turned over in my sheets, so my back faced him. He poked me once and then grunted. I thought he had gone back to bed, but he had just woken the others up too, one finger against his lips to keep us all quiet.

We gathered around in a circle in the middle of our cell. We leaned in so we could hear Wonho clearly, but he spoke loud and clear. "Look what I have kids!" He giggled, playing with the keys again.

"What are you doing, you crazy idiot!?! You're going to get us all in trouble," Kihyun hissed.

"Do you see the guards, you crazy idiot?" Wonho mocked him. We peeked through the barred door and he was right.

"Where are they?" Hyungwon frowned.

"Looking for these," Wonho grinned, shaking the keys like a rattle. I rolled my eyes. "So, what do you guys have for me?" Wonho continued.

We all glanced around at each other, apart from Shownu, who was pulling out an A4 sketchpad and a pencil out from under our bunk bed. I took a double take at him. How did I not notice this? I wasn't even on the top bed!

He smirked at my gaping mouth, which I closed instantly. I crossed my arms, as Shownu lay a page in the middle. "This is just a basic layout of the prison, with the labelled rooms. There's only one place we can get out. The entrance is our exit," He explained, pointing at the marked door on the page with the pencil.

"But that's obvious, kid. I thought you were smarter than that," Wonho scoffed. Shownu joined him with a soft laugh and sigh.

"This - is the vent system," Shownu grinned at Wonho's sly smile. They were one and the same, those two. It worried me a little. Shownu had to the next page, which showed the elaborate vent pattern. "There are three different exits if we take the vent route," Shownu informed us.

"That's more like it kiddo," Wonho patted him on the back like a proud father. I pretended to be sick along with Minhyuk, and we giggled. Kihyun rolled his eyes.

"All we need is a screwdriver, or something, to unscrew the entrance vents," Shownu's eyes were wide with adrenaline.

"That's what you're doing tomorrow," Wonho pointed at Kihyun.

"Me?" He asked.

"Yeah, don't you remember what I told you earlier?" I prodded him.

"Oh right, that. No problem," Kihyun nodded.

"We're going to go down in the history books for the best escape," Wonho squealed. He ran around our circle, giving us high-fives, and making us laugh. He was really pushing the borderline to insanity.

I had not expected this to happen.