Halfway There

Our Escape (Monsta X FanFic)

My legs bounced against the lunch table I was sat at. Most of us were on edge, especially me. Kihyun was meeting his lawyer right now. In a room only metres away from the lunch hall.

Wonho was eyeing me from his usual spot with his guard buddies. They'd taken Minhyuk away this morning for more questions. Well, that's what they had said, anyway. I looked up from the familiar sight of my empty tray to Hyungwon, who was sat opposite me. He had been having real withdrawal issues, and his eyes looked swollen and dark blue grey, as if he'd been punched.

Shownu nudged my side with his elbow, making me squirm. "Cut it out," He said. I just rolled my eyes at him and sighed. I was fed up of this .

I pushed my tray away from me, knocking my cup of water over. I stood up and walked out. "Hey, Jooheon! Where're you going?" Shownu was calling me. I kept going until an officer blocked my path.

"I have to make a call," I said blankly.

"To who?"

"My sister. Accompany me if you like," I shrugged, and brushed past him to go to the contact room.

I saw Kihyun with his lawyer as I walked in, seemingly engrossed in a serious conversation. I quickly focused on the payphone on the far wall. I slotted my last two coins into the machine, dialled her number, and held the phone to my ear. She'd better pick up.

"Annyeonghaseyo,"

"Sis? Tem?" I clutched the phone tighter.

"Jooheon... I was wondering when you'd call," She sighed. I felt guilty just by the tone of her voice.

"I'm sorry, but I have to ask--" I began.

"No," She cut me off sternly.

"What? I didn't even finish asking you my question!" I huffed.

"I knew what you were going to ask, so I saved you your breath. I can't bail you out, let alone you and your friends. I don't have that kind of money. Not anymore," She sighed again.

"Well, we did before I got jailed! What the did you do with the money?!" My brow was furrowed, and my mind was restless.

"Jooheon.. We were in debt," She whispered.

"To who?!" I asked.

"Changkyun's father. He did me - us - a favour a few years back, and since I had the money, I gave it to him. I mean, I had no clue that you would get arrested, otherwise I would have definitely--"

I slammed the phone down in anger. That prick was involved in everything. That was my last resort, she was my last legal hope of getting out of here. Now, I had no other choice but to turn to a different method of escape, which just so happened to be against the law. Not my problem.

Kihyun wasn't in the room anymore, just a slightly shocked, slightly smirking guard. He looked pleased that my phone call was unsuccessful. Bastard.

I stomped back to the cell, and it was full with familiar faces. I was the last one going in. Wonho patted me on the back as I walked in, and Minhyuk patted the spot next to him on the bunk. "Just the guy we've been waiting on," Wonho announced loudly.

I winced and slotted in between Minhyuk and Hyungwon. Shownu was leant against the back wall, and Kihyun and Wonho sat on the bunk opposite us. "No luck?" Hyungwon asked, head hung low.

"Nope," I sighed bitterly. "Got Changkyun to thank for that," I scoffed. His face turned into a scowl, along with Minhyuk and Kihyun.

Before a rant about Changkyun began, Wonho intervened. "Let's forget about that now. Since Kihyun saw his lawyer today, we are going to celebrate later!" He grinned, exaggerating his winks. Shownu snorted, and I covered my mouth to hide my laughter. I'm guessing it's not going to be the type of celebration normal people attend.

"Tonight's the night," Wonho added, raising an imaginary glass of champagne up to the ceiling. Minhyuk played along and made a clink sound with his tongue.

If this actually works, it'll be the best thing ever.