A: Leave (Part 1)

Our Escape (Monsta X FanFic)

Jisung’s POV
I paced back and forth around the coffee table in the living room, deterring to the bad habit of biting my nails. I jumped as the front door was opened, and Jooheon strode in. He ignored me completely. Again.

I huffed and clenched my fists. I had every right to be angry at him for not telling me everything, and he knew it. He just didn’t want to admit it. I heard him slam his bedroom door shut, and I hesitantly walked towards it.

I took a couple of deep breaths and knocked twice.

“What is it now?” He mumbled through the door.

“Open up,” I replied, knocking once more for good measure. I stood there and counted to five. I frowned and raised my hand to knock again, when he opened the door.

“Weren’t getting impatient, I take it,” Jooheon sighed.

“Look, Jooheon. I’m not here to lecture you or anything,” I began.

“It sure seems like you are,” He cut me off, which took me aback.

“Will you cut it out?! Stop being grumpy and let me say something!” I shouted angrily. He looked away and said nothing. This was becoming more and more frustrating. I half wished that I hadn’t gone and knocked on this door. “I don’t think you should go ahead with the plan,” I blurted out. I knew he would disagree, so I needed to get it out quick before I lost the courage.

“Have you forgotten about your best friend already? Can you even remember her name?” He countered. I could see him getting angry.

I stepped back and gulped. “Don’t you dare say things like that. You know I would never…” I trailed off, and judging by Jooheon’s expression, I think he regretted his words. “I just meant that something’ll go wrong, or someone could get hurt… It’s not a very safety conscious plan,” I scoffed.

“You’re right. That’s why you should leave while we sort it all out,” Jooheon shrugged.

“What?” I frowned.

“Leave. You said it yourself, someone could get hurt, and knowing my chances, it’ll probably be you,” He continued.

“Are you joking? You want me to leave too? I was just telling Changkyun how he could trust you - rely on you - but you want me to go? You think I don’t want revenge too!!?” I started to yell again.

“Jisung…”

“No, you know what? Fine, fine! I’ll go, but don’t expect to see me again,” I said harshly. I gulped and knew I couldn’t take any of those words back. I stormed out of the house, not taking a single item with me.

Changkyun’s POV
I stared at my feet as I walked up to my house, although it felt more like putting one foot in front of the other as I went to death row instead. That’s how going home made me feel. It was getting darker, and I looked up at the sky. That’s when I saw a familiar figure ahead of me, walking in the opposite direction.

She took a left turn into the driveway of my house and I started to sprint. Once I reached her, I pulled her back sharply, and she lost her balance. I still managed to keep her upright though.

“Jisung! What do you think you’re doing? Are you crazy!? Insoo’s in there!” I hissed, dragging her away from this miserable place. I was almost thankful for seeing her; it gave me an excuse not to go in.

“So what!? I came here so you could tell me what the is going on with you! You can't just turn up at my workplace and order me to leave without an explanation!” She frowned at me.

I turned away and sighed. “Let’s just walk around the block for a bit - away from here,” I tugged her out of the drive and back down the street where she was walking a few seconds ago.

“Please just tell me… I hate it when you’re all secretive like this,” Jisung shook her wrist out of my grip.

“I don't want you around when all hell breaks loose during the rebellion, okay! Something bad is going to happen, I swear,” I told her exasperatedly.

“Then why don’t you convince the others?!” She said.

I wish I could, but like hell they would listen. They were too stubborn, and Jooheon was too hung up on the idea of revenge to come down now. Especially after they gathered the guns and supplies earlier. If the plan didn’t go through, all this would just be wasted effort. There was no way of stopping it. Despite my thoughts, I left Jisung unanswered. She was smart enough to figure it out anyway. I huffed in frustration.

“Why don’t you leave with me?” Jisung asked.

“What?” I scoffed, glancing up at her to be met with a dead serious expression.

“You keep going on about leaving… Plus, you can get away from your appa for a few days too!”

“Jisung, stop. Don’t be ridiculous,” I muttered.

She stopped in her tracks and thought for a few moments, before a smile crept onto her face. “What if I’ll only go if you come with me?”

As soon as she said it, she knew she had me. I stuttered, trying to think of a way around her suggestion, and I folded my arms in defeat. “That’s hardly fair Jisung,” I sighed.

“When has it ever been?” She chuckled lightly, walking ahead of me once again.

Jisung’s POV
“Room for two please,” I said to the receptionist. This was the nearest motel to Changkyun’s house, the cheapest and the shabbiest too. I reached out to grab the room key, and I saw the guy at reception grin between myself and Changkyun, who was loitering behind me. I rolled my eyes at him, and snatched the key off him.

“Enjoy your stay,” He reeled off, the grin still on his face.

I frowned and clenched my fists, ready to hook him with my right fist, when Changkyun butted in.

“Thanks!” He smiled, leading me down the corridor.

“Yah! Lim Changkyun! Why didn’t you let me punch him?” I hissed.

“Do you want to go to prison!? Or pay his medical bill??” He tutted.

“It’s not like I would’ve sent him to hospital! Maybe a broken nose… At the worst!” I huffed, opening the door to the room. I wasn’t even that strong anyway.

The room was dark, small and stuffy. The inside was what you would’ve expected upon seeing the exterior. This place deserved to be judged by its cover. I dumped my backpack by the side of the bed and drew the moth-bitten curtains. I opened the cracked window, having to put in a bit more effort than I anticipated. I scanned the skyline. Everything was a different shade of grey; the clouds, the buildings, the pavement. I could even see the back garden of Changkyun’s house.

I turned to call him over so he could see, but he was on his phone already. I leaned out of the window, closing my eyes, enjoying the fresh air, and half listened in on his conversation over the phone.

“Wait, what?” I heard Changkyun exclaim. I looked over to him. He rushed towards the window and nudged me out of the way. Accidentally, I hope.

“Yah,” I grumbled, regaining my balance. I looked up at him again, and he was completely ignoring me, evidently far too interested in whoever had called him.

“…Oh ,” He gasped. I went to smack him so he would tell me what was going on, but he was already opening the door and beckoning me out. “On my way,” He finally hung up. I followed him out without asking, because I knew he would explain.

“It’s Shownu,” Changkyun said breathless. I frowned. I didn’t realise they were so close.

“Didn’t you see the smoke!? They’re in trouble at the house! They’re scattered, and Jooheon’s being held at gunpoint!” He shouted at me.

“H-Huh…?”

He grabbed me and dragged me out into the road. We started to run. I got out of Changkyun’s grasp and pulled out my own phone. “I’m calling the police,” I half whispered, trying to conceal how scared I actually was. I could see him doubt my actions, but I didn’t care. This was a decision that I would take full responsibility for. I was willing for them to get caught and go back to prison, if it meant they would live. Wonho was going to kill me for this…

After giving the situation and the address, we began to fasten our pace, and soon we were full on sprinting, pushing people out of the way. I muttered ‘sorry’ too many times for me to count. We passed my café and the karaoke place where Tem and I used to hang out, and I knew Changkyun’s house was just around the corner. My steps became heavier as we neared it, and my heartrate quickened. I sped up and widened the gap between myself and Changkyun.

As I rounded the corner someone yelled, "Everybody freeze and get down!" I heard the gunshots before I could process the sight in front of my own eyes.

Insoo with a machine gun, firing aimlessly and relentlessly.

I locked eyes with Jooheon, and he yelled, “DUCK!”

I took deep breaths as I watched bullets fly into the air, some hitting their mark, some not. Changkyun lunged forward to pull me down a split-second before I was hit. At least I thought I was fine, until Changkyun started freaking out. ", , ! Jisung, stay with me, okay?"

I frowned out of confusion, until I brushed the side of my head with my hand. More shots went off and I covered my ears with my crimson stained hands. The dark red blood made its way out of the side of my head. It oozed between the spaces of my fingers as I moved my hands off my ears to cover my wound instead. I caught sight of Wonho crawling over, and I shook my head.

My vision became blurrier as my red shirt turned darker and all I could see was blood. I started to shake uncontrollably, and my breathing became unsteady and wheezy. Then I realised it wasn't me who was shaking; someone else was shaking me.

"Hyung...there's so much blood,"

"I know, Jooheon, I know... Jisung, you can let go for a moment,"

I didn't even realise Wonho was tugging my hands away from my head. I let him, and he swiftly replaced mine with his, pressing down on the wound with a piece of cloth. I could feel more blood streaming down my face, and I started to panic.

"Kihyun, get a paramedic over here!"

I felt someone clasp my hands, but I felt like passing out. I thought my eyes were open, but I couldn't see a thing. I lost grip on the hands holding mine. I gulped and waved my hands around, feeling emptiness.

I called out "I-- I c-can't see," I whispered, letting my hands touch the rough, solid ground instead.

A/N: 
Sooooo, exciting, huh?!
There will only be a few more chapters after this one!!
Hope you liked it, and thanks for reading :)