Battles, Books, and Bruises

The Humanity Formula

The Golden Rule. Ethics of reciprocity.

 

It’s simple.

 

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.

 

It’s found in most human religions and philosophies. A social contract in which you do not harm others because you don’t want them to harm you.

 

Don’t want anyone to steal from you? Don’t steal from others. Don’t want anyone to stab you? Don’t stab anyone.

 

Each human being has a duty to uphold these laws. Each human being has the responsibility not to harm.

 

Do we only refrain from stealing because we don’t want our belongings stolen?

 

Do we only keep from hurting others because we don’t want to get hurt?

 

-&-

 

I couldn’t face Hanbin. At first it was because of the dream, and then it was because of how I reacted. I was embarrassed by getting all worked up by myself, while Hanbin continued on blissfully unaware.

 

My phone vibrates in my sweater pocket but I ignore it. When I checked last night, I had three unread messages from Hanbin. When I opened my email this morning, he had sent me the outlined notes from the lecture I missed. He was probably worried. It’s not like I haven’t pulled a disappearing act before. It’s not like I haven’t skipped classes and cut off communication before.

 

I tuck a book back into its spot on the shelf with a sigh. This was different from that time, I know.

 

But Hanbin doesn’t.

 

I move to the other section of shelving, adjusting my bag over my shoulder as it slumps forward under the weight of its contents. My fingers ghost over the numbers and letters until I find what I’ve been looking for. I slip out a book and nearly fall back against a cart as I notice who sits at the table across from the shelf through the blank space over the books.

 

I crouch down, afraid that I made enough noise to startle the two guys at the table.

 

Hanbin and Donghyuk.

 

I peek back over at them through another opening. The table is covered in books and a flurry of papers. They actually are reading together, laughing together, just as Hanbin said they would. Were they eating meals together while discussing their research topic? Were they falling asleep with their laptops on their stomachs, the faint lights illuminating their faces?

 

Were they really having fun without me?

 

I try to see Hanbin’s expression but he’s facing in the other direction.

 

Donghyuk looks up and we make brief eye contact. I duck again, as if I hadn’t seen him. He probably didn’t recognize me behind the shelf. The book in my hand preoccupies my attention as I try to decide if I’ll need to check it out or just make copies.

 

I sneak another peek and Donghyuk is no longer sitting across from Hanbin. I jump, dropping the book from my hands, as I feel a tap on my shoulder.

 

Donghyuk smiles, holding up a carrier with three coffees.

 

“Join us.” He says, and Hanbin has already looked up after the book hit the floor. I can’t run away.

 

I sit awkwardly adjacent to them as they study, scrolling endlessly through a file one of my group members had sent earlier. The words might as well be in an alien language, I can’t decipher them through my muddled thoughts. I look up every so often, offering an awkward smile. Hanbin doesn’t say anything other than his initial greeting.

 

“Ah, damn!” Donghyuk explains suddenly, startling both Hanbin and I. “I have to get to class, I didn’t even pay attention to the time…”

 

I start to make up an excuse once Donghyuk has left but Hanbin interrupts before I can craft a good enough lie.

 

“Wanna go get some lunch?” Hanbin asks me, a little smile quirking at the corner of his lips. His eyes look tired.

 

It would be too obvious if I said no. But I still feel awkward around him. Uncomfortable.

 

I follow him to our favorite burger place just outside of campus. We order our usual, one burger and one burger combo, and sit.

 

Without needing to ask, Hanbin shares his fries, even though I never order my own.

 

“What’s been up lately?” He asks through a bite of his double angus burger. I wonder, does he talk with his mouth full around other girls? Has Kim Jisoo seen him with mustard on his chin? “I saw you got the outline and handout. Where have you been?”

 

“I was busy helping Nam.” I lazily swirl a french fry in ketchup, the excuse falling from my lips. It wasn’t a lie but I should have said I was swamped keeping up with my research group. I should have said anything else, really.  

 

“Why join Yoon’s team if you’re gonna hang around Nam, anyway?”

 

“We’re friends, it’s fine.” I shrug, staring at him with scrunched up eyebrows and impossible to conceal confusion. “Why can’t I help him?”

 

“You’re not friends, it’s weird for a TA to have your number.” Hanbin murmurs. “I think he moved you out of his group on purpose so he could ask you out.”

 

His arms are crossed over his chest. He looks like a little kid about to throw a tantrum, a new side to him. I’m not a fan.

 

“And?” I ask defensively, anger boiling quickly up my throat. I don’t want to admit that as crazy and childish as he sounds, it almost makes sense. I grit my teeth. “What if I like him?”

 

Not.” He takes a giant, angry bite of his burger. “What about your crush?”

 

“I have to give up.” He looks at me in confusion as I stuff another fry in my mouth. “He confessed to someone else, so there’s not really any point to liking him anymore.”

 

Hanbin’s quiet, the frustration and annoyance subsiding into confusion and… something else.

 

“So, that’s it? You’re just giving up that easy.”

 

I give him a tight lipped smile. I know there’s no answer I can offer that would satisfy him.

 

-&-

 

A secret about Lee Chaerin: she likes to be particular about organization and cleanliness but she hides candy wrappers in her desk drawer.

 

I let a piece of chocolate melt in my mouth as I rummage through her unsorted mail. A manuscript was given to her late and she needed it while in Paris. I was on a mission to find it through the pile of unopened envelopes and send it off to her.

 

A trophy sitting on her shelf glimmers in the dim light, setting off a chain reaction of awards glinting distractingly. Some of the trophies are her own, others are from students and the dance team she coaches. Bobby’s team.

 

I find the manuscript and start to look around. I had never spent much time in Chaerin’s world and this is my first time to see her office. Hiding with all the other trophies, something small and unassuming catches my eye. It looks like a plastic, dull plaque. I try to get it down using a broom from the corner, taken over by curiosity. I swear I recognize it from somewhere.   

 

I hit it successfully with the broom, sending it tumbling toward my waiting arms. I wince as I hear a crash, but look down in confusion at the plaque safely in my hand. Another crash.

 

It’s coming from outside the office.

 

I open the door cautiously, peeking out into the hallway. From inside the office I couldn’t hear it but I can now vaguely make out the sound of voices shouting. I knew for a fact that I was the only one who had a key to the building. Anyone else inside would have had to have broken in.

 

I swallow hard.

 

My heart hammers against my chest as I creep quietly down the hall, ready to dial security at any moment. I follow the shouting to the one of the smaller practice rooms and jump out of my skin at the sudden sound of clattering metal. I rush to slam open the door, and try not to scream in surprise.

 

Inside, Hanbin lays sprawled across a stack of fallen metal chairs, his face black and blue.   


Bobby stands over him, his fist clenched around Hanbin’s collar.

 

---

A/N: Sorry for the delay, but I'm finally on summer vacation! yay!

I hope you enjoy this shorter (but action packed) update. I'll be out of the country next week but will update before then, I decided to split a longer chapter into two for better flow. I also didn't want to keep y'all waiting too long!

Prepare for a lot of drama ;)