Error 404

High School Love On

Shin Hye's POV

One week later

 

The silence was overwhelming. I felt disappointed, betrayed, and cheated, as a dizzy spell hit me. Had I thought wrong about him? Was I seeing things? I felt my legs weaken beneath me, collapsing under my weight. He was rushing towards me, but I pushed him away with whatever strength I had left.

 

~Flashback~

Jiho and I had just parted ways and I was on my way home. It had been an eventful day, with me skipping school with Zico again. We had gone to a club this time, and now I could feel my arms aching from all the dancing. It had been worth it though, because I was with him. After his confession the week before, I had also started to uncover my true feelings for him, but I was still confused and I needed more time to give him an answer.

The sky turned grey all of a sudden, as rain started to pour in torrents. I checked my bag for an umbrella, and sighed in annoyance as I realized I forgot to bring one. I ran through the alley as mud besmirched my school shoes mercilessly.

As I turned round the corner, I skidded to a halt. I could feel my clothes getting soaked in the rain as I stood rooted to the spot. Whatever I had seen rendered me too shocked for words. 

Zico was just in front, with his fist in the air, and the other hand grabbing hold of the collar of a man, whose clothes were drenched in blood. With a swift blow he hit the man to the ground savagely. I stared in shock. The man stood up slowly, wiping blood off his lips, mouthing something that sounded like "Woo Ji Seok", and then rejoicing at Zico's reaction. Zico advanced towards him, raising his bloody fist into the air yet again, a murderous glint in his eyes.

"Stop!" I yelled without thinking.

Zico suddenly stopped in his tracks, turning to face me.

His face fell. I knew he was wondering what I was doing here, wondering what he had to do now I had found out what he did. Had he always been like this? A gangster who goes around beating people up and pretending to be nice in front of girls?

I should have known… wasn't this what he did to me 3 years ago too…he could never change, could he?

I felt weak, and the next moment my knees buckled and I was lying against the asphalt.

I saw Zico rushing toward me.  He looked frantic, desperate and so helpless. I almost felt bad for him as I turned away from him.

And then with one swift motion someone pulled me up from the ground, and hugged me tight.

"Zico…get away from m–"

I began, before realizing that it wasn't Zico holding me, but the guy who had gotten beaten up. His left eye was bruised and a trickle of blood flowed from his forehead down his cheek. He pressed a knife to my throat and I suppressed a groan as I felt a bead of blood escape my neck.

"Put her down!" Zico growled.

He laughed sinisterly. "I know what she means to you. And I want to see what happens if I slit ." He said, adding pressure to my neck. I yelped, as a sharp pain coursed through my being.

"What do you want me to do?" Zico said agitatedly, glaring at the man.

The man smirked. "Five thousands dollars. Right now."

Zico gritted his teeth, reluctantly taking out a fat wad of cash.

The man snatched the money from Zico. "One more thing. I want you to get on your knees." The man barked.

Zico was hesitating. The man punched me in the stomach, and I tasted blood. Tears were streaming down my cheeks now. I was so scared I wished I had never butted into Zico's business. I wished I had just left him to murder someone and then never talk to him again.

"One more second and I swear I will cripple her." The man snarled.

Zico clenched his fists, slowly sinking to his knees, shoulders sagging and head hung low. 

The man smirked, releasing me from his grasp.

I heard Zico heave a sigh of relief, as he dashed towards me. I turned away coldly.