Neighbours

High School Love On

Shin Hye's POV

 

"Here." Zico threw a file at me from meters away and I reached out to catch it. I opened it inquisitively, pulling out a sheet of paper that read:

Title Deed: 11 Cheongdamdong Street

There was a signature at the bottom, which I recognized to be Zico's.

"What's this?" I asked. He chuckled.

"I bought the house next door for my baby."

My jaw dropped. I tiptoed and peered over the fence at the house next door, which was surprisingly just as big as Zico's mansion.

"Are you crazy? That's probably worth millions!" I exclaimed.

"Well…but I didn't want you to stay in the dormitory with Kyung. I'd rather you stay next to me." He said, shrugging, as he stepped closer to me, giving me a light kiss on my forehead.

"Yeah…but still—" I protested.

"I told you I'll do anything for my baby. Take it or leave it."

"I'm not your baby!" I barely shouted. This guy was insane, and I didn’t want to be spoiled like that.

He sighed in disappointment. "I thought you would have liked it. Just accept it okay?"

"Yeah…okay." I said reluctantly, although I didn't really appreciate the idea of freeloading.

~~

Zico accompanied me to my dormitory so I could pack my stuff. I threw in all my clothes and packed in all my belongings as he lay on my bed observing me.  

"You've got no taste." He suddenly commented. I swiveled around, only to see him holding up a he had found from my luggage. I felt my cheeks turn red.

"Yah! Put that down!" I hollered at him. He should know better than to rummage through someone's clothes, and a girl's clothes at that.

"Never knew you were so loud." Kyung said jokingly from the other end of the room.

"Mind your own business." Zico hissed at him, and Kyung immediately shut up. The guys in school all knew better than to get on Zico's nerves, because when they did they either ended up in hospitals or got expelled from school.

"Stop being so rude, Zico." I said, as I snatched my underwear from his hand. "And stop looking through my stuff or I swear one day you'll find beetles in your room. Mind you, I'm going to live just next door and it'll be easier for me to do that."

Zico threw his hands up. "Can't believe I'm getting treated like that. But I can't even help it." He muttered.

I giggled, throwing in the last of my skirts into the luggage.

With a 'Bye Kyung' Zico and I left the dormitory hand in hand. At least now I could feel reassured that Zenn would not budge into my living space anytime soon.

~~

I pushed open the gate of the mansion, gaping. There was a marble fountain sitting towards the right of the garden, surrounded by beautifully trimmed hedges that emphasized the lushness of the whole place. To the left there was a cute swing for two hanging from an English Oak, with natural cherry wood leading as steppingstones and deep blue morning glorys encircling the tree swing.

My eyes widened in captivation at the alluring scenery, the rhythmic splash of water from the fountain towards the crystal pool below it matching the beat of my heart.

"Do you like it? I designed it." Zico whispered into my ear from behind. I swung around, pivoting on my heel, and enclosed him in a tight hug. I felt his warmth filling me, even against the harsh snowfall, as I snuggled my face further into his chest.

"Thank you so much. I love it." I breathed.

Zico took my hand and led me to my bedroom up the winding stairs.

The walls were painted in shades of pink, making the room appear more spacious than it already was. To the far end there was a flat screen TV, which I recognized to be the latest model the envy of any teenager. Light filtered in through the large window facing Zico's bedroom, giving prominence to the King-sized bed that lay, almost peacefully, opposite the television. Looking to my right, I spotted an en suite bathroom, furnished with a sleek marbled vanity top and a large pristine bathtub. Were all these for real?

I literally couldn't contain my excitement; it was going to be so comfortable living here, with Zico just next door at that. I plunked onto the bed and hugged my bolster tight, and Zico followed suit, lying beside me and hugging me instead.

"You're a trickster, Zico." I said playfully. "You didn't tell me it was going to be this nice!"

"I wanted it to be a surprise!" He retorted.

"I can't believe I was mad at you this morning." I said regrettably. "Thanks for everything, Zico. I love you."

"What d'you say?"

"I said I love you."

He smiled and led me over to the window. Peering out, I noticed a rope hung above the pane, and a huge net right below it. I gave him a questioning look.

"It's for me to cross over to your room from mine." He stated, rejoicing at the shocked expression on my face.

Is he insane? He wants to cross over with a rope?

"I take it back. I don't love you." I cried exasperatedly, as he sniggered behind me.

When was he going to stop making his crazy ideas into reality?