Cognizance

High School Love On

Shin Hye's POV

~A week after the incident: Shin Hye thinks her life has changed for the better~

3pm

I entered the dormitory. Park Kyung was watching television with a bowl of Oreos in hand. Jiyong and Dione were at the other end of the sofa flirting, and they looked up as I walked in.

"Hey!" I said, grinning as I plunked down between the three of them.

"They came to see you." Park Kyung said, pointing to Jiyong as he stuffed another Oreo into his mouth.

"You're so shameless." I said.

"What?" Park Kyung asked.

"Eating so messily in front of guests." I replied, before spitting out my water as I realized I was quoting what Zico had said to me a week before.

Park Kyung shrugged and ignored me.

I stood up as I noticed a pink sticky note on my table.

~Meet me today at my house at 4. Please. 12 Cheongdamdong Street. Love, Zico~

I tore it up and threw it into the bin. I felt guilty, but I didn't let it bother me. It was over anyway. 

I took about my books and started studying.

"D'you want some cake? I bought some." Jiyong asked.

"Yeah, sure." I replied enthusiastically. I could always rely on Jiyong to cheer me up when something went wrong. Dione took the cake out and placed it in front of me.

"Thanks." I whispered. I was starting to accept the fact that Jiyong now had a girlfriend who wasn't me, and I was actually happy for him. I had realised it wasn't love I felt for Jiyong now, but more of an unwillingness to give up what used to belong to me. 

I started on the chocolate cake, when a familiar face popped out on TV.

It was the face of the man Zico had beat up the other day. Curious, I turned my chair to face the television.

"A murderer by the name of Kim Chi Ken has escaped from prison." The news reporter read. "He has reportedly murdered 3 victims, including Kim Sae Ron,15, in 2011, Yu Ji Hun,24, in 2012, and Woo Ji Seok, 19, in 2014. If anyone sees him, please call 999 immediately and do not attempt to take him on yourself."

Woo Ji Seok? That sounds familiar? Isn’t that what that man had mouthed the other day when Zico was beating him up? Who is he?

I scrunched up my face in confusion, trying to find a connection. As much as I wanted to forget Zico, it had started to take a toll on me and I was desperately trying to find an excuse for what Zico had done. Then it hit me.

Woo Ji Seok, Woo Ji Ho. It would be too much of a coincidence if they weren't related.

"… murdered Zico's brother, …went to Zico for money, and Zico was angry…" I trailed off, trying to put the pieces together.

"What?" Park Kyung asked. "Did you just say something?"

"No…" I quickly answered, turning away.

It had all happened too suddenly. I had finally understood everything, and I felt like a fool getting angry with Zico because he had gotten angry with his brother's murderer for shamelessly asking for money from him. I had accused him of being a gangster. I had ignored him for a week and broke his heart. I felt horrible.

Shin Hye, 정신 차려! (jeongshin chalyeo: get back to your senses)

"Ugh." I sighed in frustration, rummaging through the dustbin for the note I had thrown away. I poured out the contents of the bin all over the floor, grabbed the pink pieces that stood out and pieced them together.

12 Cheongdamdong Street. 4pm.

I checked my watch. It was 3:50. I grabbed my jacket and my phone hurriedly and ran out.

"Yah! Where are you going? How about the cake?" Jiyong shouted in my wake. I ignored him and dashed on.