Hana

Twisting Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hana

 

That day, I could still remember, we went home from shopping and everyone sat to watch a movie. Except for Soori. 

 

Soori left in a hurry that day. She borrowed Minyoung's car to drive to Mrs. Im's house—the old lady who was once her neighbor and someone she met that afternoon.

 

But before she left, she looked for Sehun. Maybe to say goodbye or just make sure he was okay; still alive and kicking. She asked us whether we saw him, but no one really paid attention to her. We were too engrossed at the movie showing that our replies were stupid and unhelpful. She left the summer house feeling dissatisfied towards her useless friends.

 

The movie was a thriller, hence, towards the gross—scream-filled—chase—knife-action scenes, one or all of us would scream. The guys were no exception; so much for being manly. Luhan, especially, was an utter wuss. He screamed like a girl. Chanyeol was steady, but he often screamed while muffling it with a hand. Minyoung was obviously another screamer. The only, almost, grounded characters in the room were Kyungsoo and Minjee. Since Minjee had her boyfriend, it was easy to have someone to hide at. Kyungsoo, on the other hand, was just naturally void of fear or any visible emotions at all. Or maybe he was also scared of the movie, but he didn't show.

 

I heard the door to the kitchen slam shut; Sehun and Jinah came in. The two of them didn't look all too good, but it looked like I was the only one who noticed. And if I did, I never mentioned it to anyone that day. 

 

There was clearly the air of animosity between the two as Sehun sat on the floor with us and Jinah chose the spot Chanyeol offered on the other couch. It was funny because I thought whatever happened between them outside, it was not good. And that made them more interesting than the movie that night.

 

"Are the popcorns done?" Luhan asked, not turning away his attention from the movie.

 

At this, Jinah jumped to her feet, startled. She went to the kitchen, apologizing for the forgotten popcorns even though no one even mentioned about it until Luhan reminded us. When she came back two bowls of popcorns were produced. She placed it on the center table and plopped down on her couch with a sullen mood. 

 

Minyoung grabbed one bowl and began munching on them. Chanyeol did the same, offering Jinah some, but with her refusal started eating the whole thing by himself. The bowls were passed around later on until  Luhan announced our bowl was already empty. Automatically, Jinah stood up, grabbed the bowl and went to the kitchen to refill it with popcorns.

 

Once she was gone, Sehun was suddenly up on his feet too, looking around. "Have you seen Soori?" He asked, ambling towards the stairs.

 

I waited for anyone to jump in and answer, but being the only one conscious of him asking a question, I said, "She went out." I pointed towards the front door with a thumb.

 

He looked at me with furrowed eyebrows and said, "Did she say where she was going? It's a little late now." He backed away from the stairs and paced around looking for his phone. He found it on the center table.

 

"She's going to meet her old neighbor," I said, watching him dial something on his phone. "Mrs. Im said she had something that is sent for Soori and it's in her house." He looked at me with confusion on his face, as if he didn't get what I just said and wanted some clarification, but I just shrugged and feigned interest to the movie.

 

He started for the front door and nudged it open, leaving it like that as he placed the phone to his ear. He must be trying to call Soori. But it looked like he couldn't get a response because he had already dialled her thrice and yet no one was answering.

 

"Does anyone know if Soori brought her phone with her?" Sehun asked impatiently, furrowing his eyebrows at us.

 

Finally, Luhan looked at him and said, "I think she did. She rushed upstairs to get it before she went out." 

 

"And actually," Chanyeol added before munching on a popcorn, "she was looking for you a while ago, but you were nowhere in the house."

 

Sehun raked his fingers through his hair, "Why did no one tell me earlier?!" He said, but his voice was drowned by the roaring sound of thunder, "Look, it's raining hard and I should have accompanied her. Why—"

 

"Calm down dude. She knows her way around." Luhan said, but Sehun just breathed out loudly in exasperation and paced by the living room.

 

"You don't get it. It's raining and it's slippery outside. What if—" He stopped as soon as his phone started ringing, and then his face lightened up as he announced, "Soori's calling. She's calling." And then he stood by the front door again, picking up the call.

 

"Hello, look I'm—what? W-who is this? This is my fiancee's number why are you—" Grim lines suddenly filled his face. And as thunder clapped through the skies again, his features remained hard like that.

 

"No. No. Did you call? I—" He removed the phone from his ear and looked at the screen as if checking whether there was really a call. Then his expression hardened more. He listened to the call again, gulping. "Yes. Sorry. You did call. But w-why are you answering Han Soori's phone?" 

 

It was the only time it dawned on me that he wasn't actually talking to Soori. But, that was Soori's number, right? Then Luhan nudged me to ask what was happening because Sehun was starting to pace back and forth in the living room with an anxious expression. But I just shrugged because I didn't really know. After that, when I looked around the room, it was only then that I realized the movie was already paused and everyone's attention seemed solely focused on Sehun.

 

"Sorry. Sorry. C-can you just repeat what you said? Jesus." Sehun said, his voice breaking as he ran his fingers through his hair in frustration. "Y-yes. I'm...I'm trying to be calm but , how do you think I should be? Just tell me what goddamn thing happened to her!"

 

We were all astonished hearing Sehun raise his tone. 

 

"Sehun, did something happen to Soori?" Minjee asked behind me. But Sehun was too busy being angry that he didn't hear.

 

"! God...I'm—alright. I'm coming. Please...please do everything." That was the last thing he said over the phone before he rushed outside the pouring rain.

 

Without thinking, I followed after him. Rain was pouring heavily in large drops but that was the least of my concern. If Sehun didn't mind getting drenched by the rain at this rate, it only meant that something bad happened. Something bad happened to Soori.

 

I hurried towards him. He was already opening the door to the driver's seat of the van when I reached him. His movements were hurried and unplanned, his eyes were everywhere as his mind roamed. I tugged on his sleeve and he looked at me anxiously.

 

"What happened?" I asked nervously.

 

"Hey, you two, it's raining!" Luhan shouted from the porch, an umbrella was in his hands.

 

"H-hana...Soori," Sehun's eyes were bloodshot, and he blinked away as if he was trying to hold the tears that were threatening to come out. "Soori was...was in a car accident and—"

 

I broke down immediately in tears as he said this and I didn't know what to do. "Look, I'm going there. She's already being transported to the hospital to be treated. I have to be there. And you have to tell everyone about this. Please call her family too and—" I nodded repeatedly even though I was still in a daze.

 

"Yes, I will." I managed to say with a small voice.

 

"Yes. That's really great." He said, sort of relieved.

 

"She'll be okay, right?" I asked when he finally climbed inside the van.

 

Sehun looked at me, eyes filled with uncertainty. I knew he too was just as nervous as I was, because we had the feeling that this wasn't just some accident. But he nodded in reassurance and that seemed to pluck a nervous string away and made me feel a little lighter.

 

"She will be. So while I'm gone, please do me that favor. And then come to the hospital, alright?" I nodded again, and then he was gone.

 

The hardest part about that night was being the one to break the bad news to everyone. I didn't know if it was the weight of it or that I had to do it, that made the whole task so much harder than anything else I had done my whole life. I had also wondered if it was the reason why Sehun let me break it to them. B

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter