0.13

Twisting Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 13

 

"Your partner project is due next week. Try to get to know your partners as much as you like, and create a poem out of what you'll get." My mind was no longer with Ms. Lee when the class ended.

 

After announcing my horrible fate of being stuck with him, I almost wanted to strike Sehun's face again. But I reminded myself that I didn't want to let Ms. Lee think differently of me. So what I did was, after the commotion had settled and there was only little attention being given to me, I strode to Ms. Lee's desk and pleaded for a change of partners.

 

"Is there any way I could change partners as soon as now?" I asked her, keeping the desperate tone to a minimum.

 

She raised a brow at me and crossed her arms. "Is there any valid reason for me to allow that?" She challenged. "I think I made it clear that whoever gets an identical number as you do—"

 

"I know. I know that. But I know I just couldn't work with Oh Sehun-ssi, songsaengnim." I interrupted, trying to get it across to her what I felt about the ridiculous set up.

 

"And why is that?"

 

"We're not on good terms." I told her honestly. She looked at me and then her gaze went behind me. I'm guessing, she was gauging Sehun's reaction to all this.

 

She looked back at me, lips thinned. "But it doesn't look like that to him. I suppose Oh Sehun is more than willing to be paired with you. Besides, the boy is new in the class. It would be nice if you could coach him on a thing or two." She told me. I knew what she was getting at—she trusted that I'd do fine teaching Sehun how to write an English poem about ME because according to her before 'I had potential'. 

 

"But you don't get it. We're in the middle of world war—"

 

She gave me a stern look, automatically shutting me up. "Look. Soori, I heard about your issue with that kid. But whatever it is, you keep it off my class. Your personal business with him is yours, not mine to worry about. And besides, who knows if this will be the key for you two to fix whatever it is?" 

 

I understood she was just telling me to keep it simple; work was work. And if anything, she just saw this situation as a way to help me reorganize things with Sehun. But that wasn't going to happen because I won't let it. I have all the reasons to.

 

"You're not really going to reconsider?" I tried, pouting.

 

"No." She said seriously.

 

"Really?" I asked again.

 

"Really." She answered, keeping her patience in check even though her eyebrow was twitching.

 

I nodded, accepting defeat. The only way to get this stupid partner project was to accept my fate. I'm going to be paired up with Sehun. But there was no way I would spend the rest of the week with him. He would have to play by my rules and up guessing about me. It's not like he wasn't good at that anyway. Besides, I wasn't willing to help him with his poem.

 

He got himself into this. So, he better get himself out of it without involving me.

 

I left the room in haste, not wanting to spend any more time inside when Sehun was just hanging around. The scrunching of shoes behind me didn't go unnoticed however, and I turned around thinking it was Sehun. I was ready to strike again, but Jongin's appearance made me smile.

 

"You're not going to dig something up on your partner? What's her name again?" I asked, actually a bit awkward asking him about the girl.

 

He raised his hand to scratch his cheek and said, "She's Kang Hyeri. And I just want to tell you that I won't be able to give you a ride home since we planned on doing what you just said in the library."

 

"Oh." I was a little upset, but if it showed I wasn't really sure since I tried holding myself together in front of Jongin. 

 

Get a grip. Get a grip! 

 

"You can manage to go home by yourself, right?" He asked, worry evident on his face. The moment I saw it, I was sort of comforted. I don't know. I guess it was better than nothing.

 

Without hesitating, I nodded. "I guess, I will. Don't worry. Just do well on your project and try to get to know her. If you know what I mean." I winked playfully at him, and turned around. He surely looked surprised I was teasing him like that with someone he must have just talked to today. But it wasn't like nothing would come out from having alone time with the opposite .

 

There would surely be some sort of development in their relationship, and it wasn't like I could force Jongin to not like any girl just because I was being such a possessive best friend! Ugh. I just hope he understood what I was doing. 

 

I stormed off in the direction of the stairs, going as quickly as I could to any exit. The entrance was just in sight the moment I took the last step on the stairs. It felt less suffocating, but the moment was surely short lived as soon as someone got ahold of my arm.

 

Turning around, there went my worst nightmare behind me. Ugh. Really. Ugh. 

 

"It's you, again." I uttered, making it blatantly obvious for Sehun how much I didn't want his company. Right now or ever.

 

He loosened his grip on my arm, seeing the glower on my face. "Sorry. I just want to ask you about your plans for the project." He said.

 

I sighed, peeling his hand away which he reluctantly removed from around my arm. "I'm not really willing to work with you. You get that, right?" I tried explaining in my calmest disposition. Sehun looked like he wanted to disagree with me but said nothing in return. "So, here's what we're going to do. You do your project without me and I'll do the same. That way, it's more convenient for the both of us." I told him, keeping it as simple as I could.

 

The indiscernible look on his face didn't give away what was his reaction about my proposal. But the way his jaw tensed told me he wasn't impressed with my plan. Well, that was perfect. I loved seeing him upset now.

 

"I guess you're fine with it." I stated more than inquiring—I had no intention of asking him for his opinion about the matter anyway. "I'll keep going then." I gave him a smile as consolation and left.

 

Knowing his intention of not letting me off the hook that easily, I quickened my steps, dodging moving bodies and elbowing them on my way out of school if necessary. There wasn't as much mercy with the glares they were giving me, but it was the least of my worries right now. I ought to get back to my turf as quickly as I could without having someone corner me for another round of unpleasant confrontation.

 

The coast was clear, and I was more than happy to finally leave that suffocating school and go home. I was so tired, so full of things to worry about that it was a relief being released from the claws of an entire hellish place. 

 

I slowed down as I was half way the walk home. It was only then I got reminded of my plan about getting Jongin a new pair of glasses, and decided on doing a detour to the busiest part of the city where I could find different stores to which I could actually get it done. The shopping district. 

 

I took a bus to the district, the journey being a 15 minute ride until I hopped down to my destination. Compared to the high end place I visited with the girls after the high school reunion in Kyungsoo's summer house, the site before me was far more classic looking. The buildings around still had their identical facades, vendors were on the sides of the streets selling their goods, restaurants were still giving off the traditional vibe with most structures sporting a hanok look. Everything around me was giving back a surge of nostalgia. I missed the place so much in this kind of state, and it gave me a good feeling to see it again as it was now. It felt like a vivid dream in it's most surreal state.

 

I began my tour, looking at front windows of establishments for prospective shops selling glasses and possible hiring inquiries. There were cafes and restaurants needing cashiers and waitresses but their schedules were unfit for mine. Other shops were paying less than what I needed. I found a shop selling eye accessories but the prices were high as expected. If only I had my card with me then I could have bought Jongin ten pairs of glasses, all of which of good caliber.

 

I sat on the side of the street, hungry and exhausted. I let my arms rest on my knees, my feet begging to be massaged, my legs no less tingling. My head was clouded with too much worries. And it was bad enough that the weather was turning colder, and I didn't have a coat with me. How prepared I was! I wanted to go home but I wasn't simply going back without accomplishing anything. Hence, I left the side of the street and continued on my walk.

 

Surveying the area, a thrift store caught my eye. I rushed inside, being tempted by the 'thrift' in the store. If money was a problem, I was wondering if there was anything cheap in the store I could at least gift myself with. It wouldn't be a bad thing if I did that, right?

 

The chime at the door tinkled as soon as I went in. The lady at the counter greeted me warmly. I smiled back in greeting. The inside of the thrift store was a combination of cute and fancy. The whitewashed walls were full with woodcrafts displaying tons of quotations from English books and Chinese sayings. The display racks at the sides were lined with baskets and bowls of cute accessories, phone straps, cheap jewelries. The rows of shelves in the middle contained books, snacks, tools, and other stuff of all sorts. The place was pure heaven for most students, leaving it quite a popular hang out especially for high school girls.

 

I circled the shop, touching the small accessories. Phone straps weren't my thing before but I saw this really cute pair of small ragged doll straps that were an image of a boy and girl. It looked like it was hand sewn and that alone made me want to buy it. Because it looked like it took time to make it. 

 

"I will buy it." I muttered to myself, holding the straps in my hand to my chest. 

 

A smile blossomed on my lips as I felt fixed to buy it. It would be great if I got to hand the boy strap to—

 

"You have been smiling like an idiot. Were those phone straps? A pair?" I almost yelped when I heard Sehun's voice behind me. I didn't even notice he was following me again, nor did I saw him enter the shop.

 

Turning around, I drew out a huff aimed to let him know how awfully offended I was that he went all the way just to stalk me. But just as I was about to go on with another speech about his pesky self, he opened his mouth and interrupted me, knowing what I was just thinking.

 

"Look, I'm not here to fight. But yes, if you're thinking I followed you, I did. But that doesn't mean stalking! I just wanted to proceed with...uh...uh...i-information gathering! Right! Information gathering!" He said with a laugh that came out as nervous.

 

I knew what he was getting at but I raised a brow just to intimidate him. "Oh, yeah? What information do you even need to gather?" I asked, folding my arms over my chest.

 

He looked around, trying to phrase his next words, making sure he got to say the right thing. "I-info...about...you." I snorted.

 

"Well, you already heard what my say about that is." I told him, turning on my heel and getting as far away as possible to his stalking strides. "Besides, I already know enough about you to make a poem out of it. I don't need to sweat digging for more on you." I explained, finding a shelf full of faux eye glasses.

 

"W-what do you mean?" He said behind me, confused.

 

I shrugged. "You heard me. I won't repeat what I said." 

 

I grabbed a pair of faux black rimmed glasses and turned it over to inspect. I made sure to look as occupied as I could just to avoid making talks. And heck, I almost grabbed all the pairs on display just

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter