Chapter 8: Confusion

Keeping Secrets

            "N-HYUNG!" Hongbin burst through the door as I was contemplating which arm was going to pop out first.

            The room fell silent as we all stood and gawked at each other. Hongbin angrily glared at his hyungs who gently let go of me. Briskly, he walked over and pulled me away from their vicinity.

            "What's going on here?" he asked in a scolding tone.

            I looked at the three, wondering who the real hyung was amongst them.

            "Binnie ~" N smiled, trying to appease his apparent anger. "We were just you know...uhh... having fun?"

            N glanced to Leo for help but the latter simply turned his head and abandoned him. At that moment, I felt safest behind Hongbin so I held my breath behind him where he had pushed me.

            "Does this look like fun?" he raised an eyebrow and gestured to what probably was fear and confusion on my face. "Huh??"

            Leo and N winced a little at Hongbin's volume as they both studied their shoes intently. Their silence seemed to satisfy Hongbin so he grabbed my wrist tightly and still stunned, I lifelessly let him walk me out. Before he shut the door, he turned and gave them a last look of disappointment.

            "This little game of yours needs to end or I'm seriously not going to sit still anymore." he threatened then with controlled forced, slammed the door.

            He stood in front of it for a few seconds as I stared at him. Then with renewed determination, he dragged me down the hall -- a place that trainees had been banned from exploring-- and entered a new room. He exhaled and his body relaxed visibly.

            "Oh gosh. I can't believe that worked." he breathed, relieved.

            I continued to gawk at him in a state of confusion.

            "I just ACTED furious so they'd think twice about their actions." he explained as he sat down. "Sorry you were in all that."

            I glanced around hesitantly. "...what exactly...was all that?"

            Hongbin remained silent, clearly debating on whether to answer my question or not. He smiled widely and leaned back on the couch he was sitting on.

            "This is my practice room ~"

            I sighed and let my body collapse on the adjacent couch. "Does it have something to do with why you warned me about liking Leo sunbaenim?"

            Hongbin nodded. I gasped and shot up. He looked at me surprised, hoping I had figured it out on my own.

            "Is it... could it...?"

            Hongbin's eyes widened with expectation.

            "They both like me?" I whispered in awe.

            "Heol." Hongbin rolled his eyes and leaned back into the seat once again.

            "Tch." I gave him an irritated expression. "It's plausible! Why would they be pulling me to and fro like some rag doll if they weren't fighting over me?!"

            "I guess ...you can say that to some sort of extent...they were fighting for you..." Hongbin was drawing out his words, choosing them carefully.

            "Why?" I raised an eyebrow.

            He sighed and closed his eyes. "Let's just say this never happened okay? But if it happens again, you need to call me, got it?"

            "How can I pretend it never happened but tell you if it happens AGAIN?" I crossed my arms. "That sounds a bit illogical isn't it?"

            "Oh don't be so literal."

            "I don't know what would've happened if I hadn't come in?" Hongbin exhaled and rubbed his temples.

            "Just tell me Lee Hongbin!" I groaned, annoyed that he was talking in circles.

            He shook his head. "No. You can't get into this mess too."

            I glanced at him worriedly. "What mess?"

            He smiled one of his fake but appeasing smiles -- the one where he forces his lips upward and his eyes to crescent but his lips are tightly pressed together. As evident as his emotions were on his face ninety percent of the time, when things truly mattered, Hongbin was good at hiding his emotions. Instinctively, I reached over and stretched his cheeks out.

            "Don't give me that." I furrowed my brows. "I can tell you're hiding something from me!"

            "Well get the hint that I don't want to tell you then." Hongbin swatted my hands away. "And it's for your own good too."

            I pursed my lips together and crossed my arms, examining his expression and behavior. Hongbin looked up at me and grinned unexpectedly.

            "You're having mood swings here, buddy." I commented.

            "Wanna play hooky?"

            "What?"

            "Don't tell me you're planning to head back to dance practice after THAT?" he emphasized.

            I blushed. I hadn't thought that far. "True..."

            "Let's go then! You owe me ice cream!"

            "Um no...you owe ME!" I retorted.

            "So is that a yes?" he perked up.

            I exhaled and chuckled. "Well if sunbaenim insists, I can't refuse ~"

            Hongbin rolled his eyes and stretched out his arms. "I haven't neglected my responsibilities in so long!"

            "Shut up, you have a day off today." I shoved him lightly as he laughed.

            We headed out his door, looking right and left, making sure the hallway was clear of any pending awkward encounters. Hongbin gestured for me to follow him closely and we crept further down the hallway to the back entrance of the company. We swiftly passed the last door when it opened and we froze as we came face to face with Han Sanghyuk.

            Hongbin and I glanced at each other then back at him. At first, Hyuk wore an expression of surprise but soon, his lips curled up in a mischievous smile.

            "You can't possibly be SNEAKING out...?" he commented rather loudly, taking pleasure in causing Hongbin and me to panic. He stepped out of his room, throwing a jacket over his shoulders.

            "Without me?" he grinned.

            Hongbin and I relaxed.

            "Come on then!" Hongbin hurriedly shoved Hyuk out of the back entrance.

            "Are you guys dating?" Hyuk teased as we hid behind bushes, getting our masks and hats on.

            "No." Hongbin and I scoffed simultaneously.

            "In dramas and manhwa books, people who deny so quickly and at the same time generally become the couple in the end." Hyuk grinned widely.

            "We are not in a drama or a manhwa book!" Hongbin hissed.

            "Still happens in real life too." Hyuk shrugged and walked out into the street fearlessly.

            Hongbin and I more cautiously emerged from our hiding place.

            "Can we eat gopchang??" Hyuk skipped excitedly. "I haven't been out in so long ~"

            "Oh right. You've been doing the movie huh?" I asked.

            Hyuk paused and turned to me. "Who said you could drop the formalities huh?"

            I got flustered and he cackled playfully. "I'm kidding Noona ~ but I'm serious about gopchang!"

            "I am pretty hungry..." I rubbed my stomach.

            "Thanks hyung~" Hyuk patted Hongbin's back and grabbed my wrist, dragging me ahead with his large sprints.

            "Wh-what??" Hongbin called out as he chased us.

            I laughed heartily as Hyuk imitated the unique way Hongbin was running, which got the latter even angrier as he hurried to catch up.

            "Thanks for helping him out Noona." Hyuk smiled as he finally stopped in front of the gopchang restaurant.

            "Hm?" I questioned in between deep breaths. I thought I was going to die trying to keep up with Hyuk's speed and strides.

            "Hyung has been a little stressed and worried about a lot of stuff lately. He's been keeping it to himself too so Ravi hyung and I have been getting worried." he explained.

            "Ken-sunbaenim?"

            "Oh. He's a little dense sometimes so he doesn't really notice. You know how playful he can get." Hyuk laughed.

            "I didn't really do anything." I shrugged.

            Hyuk smiled. "We don't really have the luxury of having friends and most of the trainees treat us like idols instead of normal people. It's nice to have someone to talk to or to hang out with that you don't see 24/7, but within vicinity."

            I nodded. "Guess I'll have to look forward to that in the future."

            Hyuk laughed, "Nah. Cause you're stuck with us now."

            "H-hy-hyuk-ah..." Hongbin gasped for air as he finally caught up to us.

            Hyuk ruffled my hair and I blushed, wondering how the maknae had come to be more mature than his elders.

            "You better get that wallet ready hyung!" Hyuk patted his stomach. "I haven't eaten all day!"

            Hongbin groaned, knowing he was the oldest and had to take responsibility. I chuckled and nudged Hongbin into the restaurant.

            "Live a little ~ you're making all this money and not doing anything with it!"

            "I'm saving it! It's in a savings account!" he groaned.

            "How did I know that was going to come out of your mouth?" I shook my head in disbelief.

~

            The next day, you walked into the practice room worried that N would scold you about your disappearance yesterday. Surprisingly though, he jumped on you and hugged you tightly.

            "I missed you ~ !" N cooed.

            "What's wrong with you?" I squirmed, trying to get him to free me.

            He had always been affectionate but this was on a whole new level. Another trainee had waltzed in after me, and soon, N latched onto the trainee who looked like she had just gone to heaven. I observed this similar pattern of flirtatious behavior as I stretched, confused. Suddenly, I felt someone nudge a water bottle onto my cheek. I flinched, being caught completely off guard. I hadn't felt anyone approach me. I glanced up and found Leo hovering over me, offering me a water bottle. I sprung up frantically and blushed furiously.

            "Thank you!" I stuttered out almost too enthusiastically as I bowed, accepting his kind gesture.

            He chuckled shyly. "You helped me a lot yesterday. The CEO liked the changes. So thank you."

            I smiled. "Yay ~ I'm happy! Let me know if I can help you with anything."

            "Actually..." Leo mumbled and I had to lean closer just to hear him.

            I waited, hoping it was something that I could actually help him with. That or a confession of his undying love for me. I turned another shade of crimson at the thought.

            "I'll text you if there's anything." he smiled, changing his course of thought.

            I nodded, smiling back at him brightly.

            "Ahh! Watch out!" N shrieked as a water bottle flew out of one of the trainee's hands and hurtled towards me.

            I gasped and pinned myself against the wall, bracing myself for the impact. I felt someone lightly place their hand on the wall beside my face and I opened my eyes to find myself greeted with the sight of Leo's chest in front of me. My eyes widened, unable to brace myself for this sort of emotional impact. The water bottle hit his back with a hollow thud and he turned to glare at the group of trainees that cowered away guiltily.

            "They didn't mean it Taekwoonie." N stepped in to defend them.

            Leo scoffed and turned away from Hakyeon to face me. I gulped as he looked down to meet my eyes.

            "Are you okay?" he asked gently.

            I nodded, at a loss for words at being so close. I had always scoffed at the girls in manhwa books that would swoon after experiencing kabe-don, but here I was, feeling its real effects.

            "Sorry." Leo muttered.

            "For--?" Before I could get my full sentence out, Leo traced his hand across my cheek timidly and I felt my whole body heat up.

            "What in the world?" Hongbin entered the room and bellowed.

            Everyone froze and turned. Now that Leo's broad shoulders were no longer obstructing my view (not that I minded), I finally could see that Hakyeon was being embraced warmly by a swarm of the trainees on the other side of the practice room. And of course, Leo and I were in a somewhat questionably intimate position. Hongbin groaned as he saw me pressed against the wall.

            "Alright, let's start practice!" N hurriedly coughed and gently shuffled the trainees to their spots.

            Leo also stepped away from me quickly.

            "I'll be taking her." Hongbin mentioned to Leo who gave a very slight nod.

            "Bin-ah!" Hakyeon stared at him with wide eyes as he overheard.

            Hongbin glared at Hakyeon.

            "Teach her well..." he stated meekly and backed off.

            "Where are we--?" I whispered as Hongbin tugged me along out of the room.

            "For your own good, you need to hear the truth."

            The serious expression he wore on his face stopped me from pressing any further. We get to his practice room and he places his hands on both my shoulders.

            "You're going to help me keep a secret before I go absolutely insane."

            I gaze at him, filled with anticipation, worry, and fear all at once.

            What could this truth be?

 


Author's Note: It'll be revealed next chapter!! Stay tuned ~ After watching Hongbin's fantastic acting in Moorim yesterday, I was inspired to update earlier than I planned x) I hope you enjoyed reading! 

*manhwa = Korean version of Japanese "manga" 

*kabedon = the act of pressing someone against the wall with their hand slammed up on it (If you haven't already, you should check out VIXX's kabe don in one of their Japan interviews... I want to say during "Eternity" era teehee ~)