Chapter 18: Songs & Secrets

Keeping Secrets

            When Hongbin received Hyuk's message and saw the news for himself, he stormed out of the dorm room into the entertainment building. He had to use the back entrance since news reporters and fans had swarmed the front. His heart thumped against his chest frantically. How did this happen? Why did this happen? Why wasn't the company publishing a correction article right away? Their prolonged silence was going to make things worse for you.

            He rushed to the CEO's room but was stopped by Hyuk before he made it to the proper hallway.

            "Hyung! Why're you here?" he questioned in astonishment.

            Hongbin took a moment to catch his breath. "Are they crazy? Why aren't they denying this ridiculous article?"

            "Well the company has to confirm it first. No one knows if they're actually a thing..." Hyuk explained. "As far as any of us know, they might--"

            "THEY'RE NOT." Hongbin cut him off, irritatedly.

            "Well I know that. You don't need to get snippy." Hyuk looked at his hyung amused. "But that doesn't explain why you ran over here in a panic."

            Hongbin froze and his cheeks heated up. His actions were pretty bizarre. What had he hoped to accomplish by being here? He ignored Hyuk's assumption and asked, "How long have they been in there?"

            "Maybe a half hour?" Hyuk pondered. "But you know, I overheard them asking ________ if she would be okay with just going with it so they would be off Taekwoon's back."

            "WHAT?" Hongbin yelled, causing Hyuk to wince a little.

            "Like you know, Leo-hyung was always being vague but dropping hints that he has someone he writes some of his songs for so the media's been on his tail." Hyuk shrugged.

            Suddenly, Hakyeon slid into view on the other side of the hallway. Seeing Hyuk and Hongbin, he scurried to them with worry-filled eyes.

            "What's happening?" he asked.

            "We're not sure yet." Hongbin frowned. "But they seem to want her to go with it so the media will stop bothering Taekwoon about his song inspirations."

            Hakyeon blushed and looked down knowingly.

            "I can't let them do that hyung." Hongbin stated seriously.

            "I won't either." Hakyeon smiled sadly. "Let's go talk to them calmly. There has to be a better way to solve this."

            Hyuk grinned as his two hyungs walked towards the CEO's office. However, before they could reach for the knob, the door opened and __________ stepped out.

            I blinked a few times, trying to register what Hakyeon and Hongbin were doing in front of the office.

            "Did the CEO ask you guys to come?" I questioned.

            "Did you agree with their plan?" Hongbin stared at me intensely.

            "You know about the plan?"

            "Yeah, Hyuk overheard it and told me."

            "Well, yeah. It was reasonable so I had no qualms about it--" I started, only for my shoulders to be grabbed roughly by Hongbin.     

            "How could you agree to telling a lie like this? There's an extent to protecting someone! You shouldn't sacrifice your hard work and your reputation like this! I won't stand for it."

            "Hongbin, calm down!" I hissed. "Taekwoon didn't even let me speak the entire meeting other than to agree that we were only friends and that the plan was okay! Then Taekwoon asked me to step out so he can discuss other things."

            "That plan is NOT okay!"

            Hakyeon exhaled and calmly explained, "___________, you shouldn't have to cover up for us like this. There's got to be another way."

            I looked at them inquisitively. "Wait...I'm covering up for who? What're you guys talking about?"

            Hakyeon and Hongbin glanced at each other. Hongbin whipped his head around to where Hyuk had been, only to be greeted by emptiness. He squinted his eyes skeptically and grumbled.

            "Wait..." Hakyeon was the first to realize there might have been a misunderstanding. "...what's their plan?"  

            "Um they're going to say that it's all part of their new program to promote sunbae-hoobae relationships. Kind of like a mentor program of sorts? Where the sunbaes take out the trainees and answer any questions they may have about how being a trainee was and give them encouragement as people who have gone through the same steps and succeeded." I explained. "The CEO said and I quote, 'Taekwoon, this is your punishment. You have to interact with the trainees.' To which Taekwoon simply sighed, and said that 'Hakyeon and Hongbin should be part of it too since they've taught the trainees'."

            Hongbin huffed while Hakyeon chuckled.

            "That's like Taekwoon to bring us with him." Hakyeon patted my head and gave Hongbin a knowing look then turned the knob. "Excuse me while I go in to help smooth things over."

            There was an awkward silence between the two, now that they were alone. Hongbin wanted to run away after his nonsensical outburst and frankly, I wasn't prepared for him to be so close to me. His hands never let go of their hold on my shoulders so our bodies were inches away from each other. I could feel the heat rising up to my cheeks.

            "Umm..." I spoke, confused about his frozen state. "Hongbin-ah?"

            He hurriedly stepped back at the sound of my voice, flustered. "Right! Sorry! I just...got nervous you would really cover up for them until the end."

            I laughed, warmed by his genuine concern. "Thank you."

            He blushed and averted his gaze awkwardly. "For what? I didn't do anything."

            "For rushing here. For worrying about me." I flashed a wide smile, happiness bubbling inside me. "And for finally talking to me."

            Hongbin relaxed and let out a deep chuckle, mixed with relief and joy. "Well we've both been busy."

            "I know you've been busy. I haven't been busy."

            "Oh please, every time I see you, you're glued to Hyuk!" he protested.

            "And why can't you talk to me when Hyuk-ah is around?" I raised an eyebrow and he hesitated, clearly stumped.

            "W-well I just didn't want to interrupt. You guys seemed to be getting along fairly well." Hongbin crossed his arms.

            "Well I would hope so, since we're performing together." I grinned mischievously. "Look forward to it."

            "Why would I?" he snapped.

            I giggled and shook my head. "Well if you aren't busy we can hang out now? To promote our ever growing hoobae-sunbae relationship."

            Hongbin tried to remain mad but I poked his cheek boldy, breaking his act easily. He sighed and rolled his eyes.

            "You're in a scandal right now. You want to create a new one? Let's just order in and hang out in the dance studio."

            I nodded in agreement, genuinely grinning from ear to ear. It had been a while since Hongbin and I had the chance to catch up, and I had so much to tell him. I was ecstatic that for once, we had time to relax with each other. It felt like things were finally back to normal.

            But I guess things had never been normal for us at first. This was the first time we were going to hang out without having a purpose. This time, there were no classes to plan, no relationships to mend. We were just two friends, eating and chatting about music and other things, like that one night when Hongbin had stayed over.

            While I had butterflies in my stomach, I was never nervous or at a loss for words. It was always easy and comfortable with Hongbin. Everything flowed. I could and expect a sass-tastic answer in reply.

            I knew I had fallen for him somewhere along the way. Or had I been attracted to him from the get-go? But whether he felt the same way or not was a mystery to me. Or if I was even someone he found attractive in general. He wasn't just a visual to me. He was someone I knew I could trust, someone who would give me his sweater because it was cold, who hid his nerves behind wit and sarcasm, who was openly awkward and judgmental, but who was kind and caring, always protecting those he cared about from the back.

~

            "Hakyeon?" Taekwoon blinked as he waltzed into the office calmly as  if he had been summoned.

            "I'm the leader so shouldn't I have been called in too?" Hakyeon commented as he took a seat confidently beside Taekwoon.

            The CEO chuckled at Hakyeon's usual bold and protective nature.

            "Well I'm sure you've heard the news then."

            "Yeah and I ran into _________ on the way in and she told me it had been solved." Hakyeon stated. "But why is Taekwoon still here?"

            "Well we wanted him to be honest with us if he was in a relationship so we could help him. The news reporters have been on his tail, but he refuses to stop saying the truth either, that some of his songs were written for someone. So we've just really been staring at each other at a stalemate." the CEO sighed. "Taekwoon, we can't help you if we don't know how to protect your love life and who it is."

            Hakyeon and Taekwoon glanced at each other. Taekwoon shyly looked down, a bit sheepish. Now that Hakyeon was here, he was a bit more embarrassed but also slightly relieved. He didn't want to say anything without consulting him but he also didn't want to deny that he was in a relationship. He didn't want it to seem like he was ashamed.

            "Will you really help him out and not try to force him out of the relationship?" Hakyeon slyly gazed at their CEO and manager in front of them.

            The CEO blinked, surprised at Hakyeon's skeptical tone, but nodded. "Of course. We've always encouraged you guys to date to improve emotion and songwriting. We're not here to treat you guys as slaves either. You're human too and if you've found a love that makes you happy, we will do anything we can to protect it. You're not just business partners, you're like family to us. I'm just a bit disappointed you're so untrusting of us after all these years."

            Hakyeon frowned, "I'm sorry. I -- we just have seen so many other idol relationships fail or get strained. It's a bit terrifying when you're in the same place."

            "Believe in us." The CEO placed his hand on his own chest, as if pledging to the two. "Just please let us help you Taekwoon."

            Taekwoon glanced over at Hakyeon whose wheels were turning, trying to decide what to do.

            "What if...it's something that's looked down on?" Taekwoon mumbled softly.

            "What?" the CEO questioned.

            "What if it's not a normal relationship?" Taekwoon spoke a little louder, his confidence building.

            He wanted to stop hiding and sneaking around, especially in his own company, to his own members. At least to those he cared about, he wanted to be open. He wanted to find a place of comfort bigger than their shared room. He wanted to show off Hakyeon. He wanted everyone to see how much Hakyeon glowed when they were together.

            Hakyeon smiled, knowing that Taekwoon, although he came off shy, was the more decisive of the two. With that question, he confirmed that Taekwoon wanted to trust the company and confess.

            "What do you mean not a normal relationship?" The CEO asked, trying to piece things together.

            Without a second thought, Hakyeon slipped his hand into Taekwoon's, giving it a light squeeze. They glanced at each other then back at the astonished CEO in front of them.

            "I'm in a relationship with Hakyeon." Taekwoon smiled as he boldly admitted. With Hakyeon's hand in his, he felt invincible. He could do anything with Hakyeon by his side.

            "And I'm in a relationship with Taekwoon." Hakyeon giggled, not wanting it to seem one sided. They were in this together.

            Everyone in the room remained silent, giving some serious thought to what had been divulged. The CEO who had been wearing a stern expression at first, visibly relaxed and leaned back, studying the two stiffly clutching each other's hands, waiting for judgment.

            He smiled, his eyes softening, "Like I said, what do you mean not a normal relationship?"

            Taekwoon and Hakyeon's eyes widened at their CEO's response.

            "I don't see anything wrong or abnormal about you two being in a relationship." he chuckled. "I'm actually quite relieved to be honest."

            "R-relieved?" Hakyeon stammered.

            "Well, frankly, this is the easiest scenario to date. I don't have to converse with another company to allow them to date freely or plan secret meetings that won't be found by the media. You're under my company, you're in the same group. You can date and no one would even realize you were dating since you're group members. What do you guys want to do?"

            "Huh?" Hakyeon was still overwhelmed. Was their CEO...accepting their relationship?

            The CEO laughed at their stunned expressions. "Oh come on. Did you really think I was going to force you to break up or something? Stop with those expressions. I'm going to get hurt."

            "I just...I -wow...I didn't think it'd be this easy honestly." Hakyeon stared at him in awe.

            The CEO exhaled. "This isn't going to be easy at all for you two, but the least I can do is to provide you some place where it WILL be easy for you to be together. It's going to be a long hard road for you both, in this country, in this industry, but I'll support you in any way I can."

            Taekwoon beamed as he squeezed Hakyeon's hand reassuringly. Hakyeon could feel tears threatening to well up. They would have a bigger space to move around freely now. They could breathe a little.

            "So I'm going to ask again." The CEO leaned forward. "What do you guys want to do? Do you want to announce it? Do you want to keep it hidden from the public?"

            Hakyeon glanced over at Taekwoon who smiled adoringly and nodded. They knew what they wanted, for now.

            "We want to keep it hidden from the public. But we want to be honest with you guys and the other members. Little by little, we want to be more open about it." Hakyeon answered for the both of them while Taekwoon nodded in agreement beside him.

            The CEO smiled. "Alright, I'll leave the members to you guys then... but reveal it after the concert has passed. The other logistics, entrust to us. We'll make sure these rumors are dealt with."

            "Thank you." Hakyeon smiled endearingly. The amount of gratefulness he felt was overwhelming and he flew out of his seat to embrace the CEO. "Thank you so much."

            Taekwoon watched the scene with kind eyes. He knew how much this meant to Hakyeon, to both of them. He was also relieved that their relationship was being accepted. A part of him was still in disbelief, a situation like this had been a mere dream just a week ago. Hakyeon was his. They loved each other. Their company would protect them and genuinely supported their relationship. And soon, they were going to finally be honest with their beloved members.

            The two of them walked out of the office in silence. Taekwoon led the way to the end of the hallway, both in deep thought. Suddenly, Hakyeon reached out and pinched his cheek. He glared at him, his cheek throbbing a little.

            "It's real right?" Hakyeon breathed. "That really happened?"

            Taekwoon smiled and squeezed both of Hakyeon's cheeks hard, causing the other to wince.

            "Ow! Taekwoon-ah!" he scolded but Taekwoon merely snickered.

            Hakyeon rubbed his cheeks and smiled, knowing it was in fact a reality.

            "I love you, Hakyeon." Taekwoon mumbled sweetly.

            Hakyeon grinned, his heart fluttering around. "Oh really? How much?"

            Taekwoon rolled his eyes and hurried to walk away, annoyed that Hakyeon ruined the romantic moment with his teasing. Hakyeon giggled and hurried after his boyfriend, giving him a back hug as they walked down the hall together.

            "Hey, hey. I have an idea." Hakyeon looked up at Taekwoon with bright eyes, still glued to his back.

            Taekwoon raised an eyebrow inquisitively.

            "All the members are here in the company." Hakyeon drew circles on Taekwoon's stomach as he continued to embrace the taller one from behind. "So what do you say we head back to the dorm?"

            Taekwoon blushed as Hakyeon gazed at him expectantly.

            "We haven't been alone in a while." Hakyeon tiptoed so he could whisper seductively into Taekwoon's ear. "And I want to make our relationship official."

            Taekwoon stumbled forward at Hakyeon's forwardness, but Hakyeon steadied him, amused at how easily flustered his boyfriend was.

            "Come on." Hakyeon pulled Taekwoon along brightly as they made their way back to their dorm, both feeling lighter than they had felt in years.

~

            "I must say it wasn't as surprising since the idea had been planted into our heads before we called Taekwoon in." The CEO chuckled.

            The manager nodded, laughing along too. "I'll make sure to protect those kids."

            "Please do. I'm counting on you."

~

            On the day of the concert, the solo stages went in order of age so I was lucky enough to be behind the stage to see and hear Hongbin's solo performance. My heart welled up with pride he stood on his own confidently, despite his hands shaking with nerves. I knew he wanted to show everyone that he was more than a visual. He had a voice. Deep and resonating. He had improved his range despite not being able to highlight it during their group promotions. He was as talented as the others. He deserved to stand on stage.

            The entire audience shivered as he began singing. His voice echoed beautifully throughout the stadium and we were all in awe, enraptured just by the first few notes he had sung. I clutched my chest, my heart melting. The song was one that was both of our favorites. "Your Song" by Ewan McGregor. I had for watching the tragically romantic love story of "Moulin Rouge", but he wasn't ashamed. He loved the musicality of the songs in it and how it enriched and emphasized the love the characters had for each other.  

            It was fitting because as he sang about expressing his love in song, I was falling even deeper in love with this handsomely dimpled man in front of me. He looked satisfied, content as he tackled this difficult yet beautiful song. The fans cheered and swayed along with him, encouraging him to continue, giving him the confidence he needed to belt out his notes strongly. I felt myself tearing up, listening to his voice singing to the music. My heart hurt, wondering if the song was dedicated to someone. Did Hongbin's heart belong to someone else like Taekwoon's was? Hyuk smiled and rubbed my shoulder comfortingly. Regardless of my fears, we were both immensely proud.

            Hongbin beamed out into the sea of blue, surrounded by screams of excitement and people weeping. He felt triumphant.

            On his way back, he felt you embrace him warmly as you and Hyuk stepped onto the stage.

            "You were fantastic." You whispered to him and it made his heart flip over inside his chest. He wanted to hold you a bit longer, but you left his arms too soon and went to your spot.

            Hongbin stayed behind the stage. He wanted to see yours and Hyuk's efforts come together with his own eyes.

            But he surely regretted witnessing it after.

            The way Hyuk's hands were on you. The way your eyes flirtatiously gazed at Hyuk during the performance. For a split second, he thought he saw Hyuk smirk triumphantly in his direction as you pulled his tie towards you. While it had the fans screaming excitedly, he was boiling inside. Why had you agreed to dance like that with Hyuk? Why did Hyuk choose you? And how did you two feel about each other?

            Hongbin walked away to get changed before Hyuk's performance ended, annoyed and perplexed.  He brushed past the widely grinning maknae after quickly getting into his next stage outfit and left the room. He found himself pacing around the female dancers' dressing room waiting for you.

            I gasped a little when I stepped out of the room, only to be pulled into an empty dressing room by Hongbin. Flustered at his aggressive behavior, I tried to suppress the thoughts of jumping him right then and there.

            "Hongbin-ah?" I called his name. Despite the level of attraction skyrocketing by his initiative and the fact that we were alone and he was even more handsome than usual, his actions were still confusing to me.

            "So you and Hyuk?" he blurted out, only to be met by your blank stare.

            "What?"

            "You and Hyuk. Is there something going on between you two?"

            I raised an eyebrow, a bit annoyed by his tone. "Why?"

            "Just answer me."

            "I don't have to." I crossed my arms defiantly as I leaned against the door. "How about you tell me who your song was dedicated to?"

            "What?" He glared at me. "Why? What makes you think it was for someone?"

            "Uh the look on your face during the performance totally screamed that you were in love with someone." I stared at him accusingly. "Who is it?"

            "I asked the question first. Do you or do you not have feelings for Hyuk?" Hongbin stepped closer to me.

            I faltered a bit with our proximity, but I regained my senses. I wasn't going to admit anything until I knew his answer.

            "No, you answer me. Who is this girl you're in love with?" I stood up tall, locked into some unspoken staring contest with him.

            "Tell me about Hyuk. Or are you still interested in Taekwoon hyung?"

            "Why're so curious about that anyway? It's none of your business."

            "You're right. It's not. But they are my members so I should know."

            "Is it one of the trainees?" I questioned.

            "What?"

            "You're in love with one of the trainees, aren't you?" I pressed on, my heart racing as I caught a look of panic on his face. "You are!"

            "I'm not!" he defended.

            "You know your expressions are easy to read. I saw you panic! Who is she?" Although I wanted to sob on the spot, I tried to suppress my heartbreak by teasing him.

            He looked pained at your nonchalant reaction. "Are you okay with me liking another trainee?"

            The question took me by surprise and I let an honest frown slip through my expression, which didn't go unnoticed by Hongbin's observant eyes.

            "You aren't, are you?" he stepped forward, closing the distance between you two, hope building up in his chest.

            I averted my gaze as tears threatened to well up in my eyes. I tried to stop imagining Hongbin dating one of my trainee friends, laughing with them, taking them to get ice cream, hanging out in the dance studio, and the sadness that washed over me was overwhelming. "I-I don't care."

            "You stammered." he smirked as he saw you crumbling. Slowly, he reached out to caress the side of your cheek gently and your eyes locked back onto his at the touch.

            He saw your eyes, filled with anticipation, fright, and hope, searching for an answer inside his own. He smiled widely and leaned down. Your breath hitched as you realized what he was going to do. His lips stopped right in front of yours and he whispered, "Yes, I'm in love with a trainee."

            His breath tickled on your lips and his confession sent shivers down your spine. Lee Hongbin was driving you crazy. Immediately, you pulled his shirt towards you and covered his lips with your own, taking Hongbin happily by surprise. Not knowing where it would be appropriate to put his arms, he placed them on the wall, pressing your back against the door and deepening the kiss. Both your hearts were racing hurriedly taking the entire moment in. Taking in the fact that you both had confirmed your feelings for each other and were now dangerously making out in an empty dressing room during the middle of his band's concert, everything was dizzying and your senses were heightened with exhilaration. The ever rule-bound Hongbin was taking a leap out of that boundary-- for you.

            Although you both wanted to keep kissing each other foolishly, you had to part to catch your breaths and recollect on what exactly just happened. He leaned down and pressed his forehead on yours, his hands trembling a bit.

            "Do I make you nervous?" I smirked teasingly.

            He chuckled and scrunched his face adorably. "Well seeing as how I'm in love with you... a bit."

            My smile widened from ear to ear as I beamed at him. "Well seeing as how I'm in love with you too, you'll have to get used to it."

            Hongbin felt lighter than air when the words left your mouth. He lightly kissed you again to express his happiness. He tucked your hair behind your ear as he studied your face lovingly, amazed at how you were now all his.

            Then, staring into your eyes, he smirked playfully.

             "Guess we have another secret to keep."

~

            Leaning against the other side of the door, Hyuk grinned mischievously, making sure no one was going to walk in on you two. He yawned as he scrolled through his phone, opening up a checklist. Glancing up, he watched Hakyeon and Taekwoon making their way towards the stage side-by-side, their eyes full of love and admiration for the other. Taekwoon's eyes twinkled and there was an ever so rare and bright smile on his face that was only reserved for Hakyeon. On the other hand, Hakyeon was subtly clutching onto Taekwoon's sleeve as he looked up at him endearingly, raving and complimenting the other about his solo stage and self composed song.

            "Taekwoon and Hakyeon hyung - check." Hyuk mumbled as he clicked the box next to their names. Then his eyes glanced back at the door he was leaning on.

            "Hongbin hyung and _______ - check." 

            He shoved his phone back into his pocket, his lips curling up in amusement.

            "They think they're so good at keeping secrets. But everyone's been playing in the palm of my hand this entire time." He cackled happily as he began walking away, knowing you and Hongbin were going to step out at any moment.

            "Silly hyungs," he mumbled with a smirk.

            "I know everyone's secret."

 


A/N: THE END ~ hahaha did I surprise ya'll? >.<  Also, if you haven't already, check out Hyuk's y dance stage & if you're curious, "Your Song" by Ewan McGregor (fantastic song). 

Thank you everyone for reading my first VIXX fanfiction and I hope you enjoyed the story <3 Please please support their new "Hades" album promotions with "Fantasy" and show it lots of love ~ I'll probably be coming back with another VIXX fanfiction soon so hopefully you'll stay tuned for that whenever I get that started :)